Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times

Advertisements

I've read much about pros and cons,but would like to know if anyone owns one and their first hand knowledge about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I have never owned one myself but I have interacted with one that belonged to a friend in high school. Her family had taken it in when their neighbor wanted to get rid of it after it wasn't all small and cute anymore. They grow up BIG and need a lot of space to move around. It would tolerate affection but didn't seek it out - it didn't seem to have a strong bond with the humans in the house, maybe because they weren't the ones that raised it. Make sure you meet a full-grown one and experience what it's like to be inside a house with one before you decide.

I know this didn't really meet your criteria as I'm not an owner but I hope that any personal experience will be helpful for you as these are not really a popular pet.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
No personal experience but make sure your township allows them, I've seen them advertised on Craigslist in my area and I know they're not allowable here (I believe they're considered livestock and neither are goats, ponies, horses etc allowable)

Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Great advice,thanks.I'm wondering now if my HOA would have a clause against it.This is getting way to complicated.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Great advice,thanks.I'm wondering now if my HOA would have a clause against it.This is getting way to complicated.
If you've got an HOA, I'd be willing to bet a small fortune they will be - rather unfairly to Piggie, but so it is.

I think one of the errors people make is thinking pot-bellies stay small. They're of a decent size & weight full-grown. Also pigs are pigs and do what pigs are meant to do - i.e. root around in soil. Mother Nature's four legged plows are rarely appreciated for their natural abilities by an HOA.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
Anyone seen that movie "Uptown Girls" with the late Brittany Murphy in it?
She had a pig for a pet It stayed small, pink, fuzzy, well mannered, and impeccably clean. Slept in her bed, took baths, went outside to do it's business, etc.

I don't know what type of pig it was, it was full grown, and still no bigger than a large cat perhaps. I will have to do some digging. Needless to say, an oddity will always remain an oddity. Pigs are livestock. They generally are not best suited for being smushed into a domesticated role, even if some have the personalities to fit it. I don't think I could ever own a pig as a pet. It would be adorable! ..and I'd never be able to eat bacon again without crying!

Movies that spotlight animals are great. They really wake up the population. But there are always the negative side affects where people will try to mimic the ideal lifestyle they see in a movie with an animal, to find it doesn't fit their fancy, or environment/home.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Make sure you're actually getting a pot-belly. There were some people during the pot-belly heyday who eventually wound up with 400 lb. boars that thought they were getting Vietnamese pot-belly pigs.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
Tiny 'teacup' pigs are the latest pet craze (http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pets/2009/10/08/2009-10-08_teacup.html - broken link)
this is what my youngest daughter is BEGGING for. She has been obsessed with pigs for all of her young life. Collects pigs, she has several hundred pigs/pig items, and is down to pretty much the only pig thing she doesnt have, is a live one. she's more then welcome to get a piggie or two...when she moves out! lol
These little fellows are beyond adorable though! If we had property....and $$$.........

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
My friends daugther had one, but let me tell ya, this little piggy, was determined to make a mess out of the home. Had a mind of it's own. it was a good watch pig, lol i know but it was, when someone would come to the door, the pig would make these weird sounds. Got into trash, made messes, had accidents, the novelty of the pig, yes after time had worn off, they could not take the cute piggy any more, and gave it back to the pet shop, just gave her away. Hope this helps. They do get bigger also, make sure you have the right yard for one.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
There are a number of Pot-bellied pigs in the "barnyard" section of "Petfinder". Please consider a rescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets