Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

If you choose to get a rabbit, realize that it can live 8-10 years, multiply faster than you can blink, and chew through everything in your house.
LOL that made me laugh - you sound just like me when people say to me, "I wanna parrot."

I have long wanted a lop eared but no, rabbits are not destined to live in this house. I content myself with all the wild cottontails we've got. During our drought we built them steps so they could get up to the top of the water trough and drink without falling in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
When I was a kid, the Easter bunny brought my sis and I each a rabbit one year. I've never asked my mom where she got them, but they were adults when they came to us. My albino, Cotton, lived a few, short years. Our lop, Pepper, lived about 8 years or so. Both were loved and tended to, but they did spend far too much time in their hutch vs. interacting with us. I know now, as an adult, that a rabbit is a serious committment. They do well with litter box training, which is great because they have very potent urine. I was a little sad yesterday to find out my niece just saved up her money to buy herself a dwarf lop. This poor critter now resides with a family that banishes their guinea pigs to the outdoors or garage during the summer (in AZ!!). I know a rabbit is too fragile for that. Sometimes, I wish you had to apply for a permit to get a pet.

Thanks to the poster for bringing this issue to our attention this time of year.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
THANK YOU.

To anyone looking at getting a rabbit, please read House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide (the house rabbit society). Rabbits are pretty awesome pets (I've had 3 of them over the years), but they are not simply caged animals like a mouse or a hamster. They need exercise, things to do, places to dig, etc.

I volunteered at a rabbit rescue all growing up, and we saw horrible things. Rabbits dyed pink, bunnies left in paper bags for us to find the next morning, bunnies pregnant with up to 8 babies at a time, etc. If you choose to get a rabbit, realize that it can live 8-10 years, multiply faster than you can blink, and chew through everything in your house. It is a big commitment.

(But, they're still awesome pets!)
They are. Had to have my bunny spayed, not because there was any possibility that she would reproduce, being an only bunny, but because between the ages of 2-3 yrs., she would growl and lunge (like a little lion) to bite my hand ONLY when it was that time of month for me. After I had her spayed, no more problem.

Bunnies are curious and one really must "bunny-proof" a room. I recall one day I couldn't find my bunny anywhere after letting her out for some exercise unsupervised. She disappeared like she was an assistant at a children's magic show. After looking high and low I just sat on the bed and listened until I heard a faint rustle. Turns out she had chewn and pulled back a small corner of the underside material on the box spring and had made her way inside. I had already looked under that bed a dozen times for her but she was up inside the frame!

I'm not willing to crucify farm/feed and Tractor Supply types of stores for selling chicks, ducklings and bunnies. Their main customers are rural and these are the starters for backyard flocks (eggs/meat) and bunnies for 4H/FFA projects, or, home meat. The petshops in the cities......that's a whole 'nother thing.

It's hard to deny children who beg year after year for an Easter duck or bunny. I think some parents really don't consider the long term consequences of the decision for that cure fuzzy for Easter. Likely all they think about is seeing their kid's faces light up and making a special Easter memory. Education is the key. Maybe some TV public service messages in the 2 weeks leading up to Easter?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Ahhh yes as with owning any pet, having a bunny as a pet is a responsibility, and having one, does depend on commitment. They are cute and fun loving, and as with any other pet only those who will be responsible to handle one, should get one as a pet. We had one, when the kids were little, they are adorable, but need room to roam and exercise.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM

216 posts, read 681,981 times
I have a neatherland dwarf house rabbit, and she is a pistol! The dwarfs can be cage aggressive...she is very territiorial, and will "protect" and area she comes to think is hers by grunting, lunging, scratching and biting. At one point, she declared the living room couch "hers", so we had to take a break from "family time" on the sofa!

Ironically, she is also one of the most intelligent, engaging, and interesting animals I have ever owned. She will sit on my lap for hours if being petted, and genuinely enjoys physical contact with people. She is the ONLY animal I have ever owned who actually watches television...and seems to enjoy it. She will also allow herself to be brushed...I use a cat de-shedding tool. Its like therapy for me...a glass of wine, a favorite TV show, and Bun-Bun in my lap, blissfully enjoying a brushing while a small mountain of white fur grows on the sofa beside me!

She is clean and completely odor free, and uses a litter box in her cage. Rabbits are great pets for the right people, as long as you understand them.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
She is clean and completely odor free, and uses a litter box in her cage. Rabbits are great pets for the right people, as long as you understand them.
Yes I was surprised at how much personality they have. One of mine is free roaming even when I am not at home; the other is allowed out when I am there to supervise. They don't like being picked up but they love to get right next to me and be petted. They are great companions, but you're exactly right - for those who have researched keeping them, know what is involved and are willing to do it!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Sadly, just one week since Easter and the Easter dumping has already begun. We already have Easter ducklings at the local bird sanctuary where I volunteer. If people gives them up in less than a week, I have to wonder if even EVER intended to keep them.

This just drives me crazy. I don't get people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets