U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,516,883 times

Advertisements

All three of the cats I have were abandoned by their original owners...

I love them dearly and I can't imagine not having them around.

One of my cats, named Rufus was actually just dumped off in my neighborhood. I found him and fell in love with him at first sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,180,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
It isn't an easy read for those who have a heart and don't refer to dogs as, "It's just a dog." That drives me nuts.
A close relative actually said that when our dog was dying. You know, when she has health concerns, I just can't bring myself to feel concerned. I just can't. Sounds heartless, but she just ripped something out that day. Can't put the "care" switch back on.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 PM

157 posts, read 494,996 times
I hate the saying " a bullet is only 5 cents, why spend that kind of money on an animal?" We heard that when our dog had cataract surgery. Sadly, a lot of these idiotic comments come from pet owners.

I guess I should be grateful to the morons that did give up their pet " property". If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have our dogs and cats we have now.

That poem makes me cry everytime!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
1) Too busy with job. didn't work before you got puppy?
2) Dog got too big for house. you didn't know a great dane gets big?
3) Children are off to college. you don't think they'll be back?
4) Dog had puppies. ever hear of spay & neuter?
5) Dog chews shoes & furniture. flip the channel for a change and watch a dog training show or maybe read a training book.
6) Can't housebreak the puppy see number 5
7) No time for the cat. cats need sooo much attention, maybe you should quit job
8) Too many pets. didn't you learn how to count in school?
9) Husband/wife is jealous of pet. get him/her a therapist.
10) Moving.where is this land of no pets allowed?
11) Having a baby. hope you don't have twins.
12) Needs too much care or attention. did you think it was a statue?

I've heard many more stupid ones. Why can't people realize a pet is a lifelong committment?
the dog's starting to cost too much because he/she's getting older.
My 7 year old children don't pay attention to the dog anymore.

I can't decide which one is my favorite but i'm leaning towards 10. no pets allowed land (my mom would move there in a heart beat).

Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 PM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 6,005,965 times
Thumbs up It wasn't too long for me KeeGee

Thank you so much for posting it! I too cried, but I have been there and seen this situation all too often I'm afraid .

What's funny is, I was speaking to a Customer Service Rep at Qwest this morning and we started talking about how all jobs are important to us as a society. If we didn't have people to pick up our trash, clean the bathrooms at our jobs and retail stores, work at fast food restaurants, etc, how awful life would be! And she replied that fast food workers have it the worst. To which I replied that those that work at shelters have it the 'absolute' worst IMHO .

Dealing with people dropping off pets and their reasons (excuses) for doing so , many horrendous cases of animal neglect and abuse, animal waste clean up , scared and frightened pets and the worst, having to euthanize perfectly good animals daily due to a lack of good homes and responsible human beings. And normally this is done by young workers in their teens and twenties making very little money and probably no health benefits to deal with this mental trauma they must endure day after day.

I tell you, it's enough to make this grown woman cry like a baby.....

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM

I have read this poem before and as usual by the end i'm crying so hard I can't see which is why i can't bring myself to read it at work. It is very sad and makes me cry each time I read it because it is true. there are people out there that do this. so sad.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
A close relative actually said that when our dog was dying. You know, when she has health concerns, I just can't bring myself to feel concerned. I just can't. Sounds heartless, but she just ripped something out that day. Can't put the "care" switch back on.
You're not the only one with relatives that say things like this. When my dh and I asked my FIL if he and my MIL could watch our dogs when we went on vacation he said sure but they would have to live in the shed (one of those metal crappy ones). When I spoke up and said my babies are not living in a shed he actually said to me they're just dogs and they don't belong in the house. GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:44 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,340,067 times
My sister has actually said that my Cassy (lab/golden) is too big for a house, I just stared at her and she had to look away. Never heard that again.

Most of the people I work with feel that animals are "just animals" and did not understand the panic I went into during the pet food recall. I'm just thankful that none of them own any animals, otherwise they would probably be reduced to living on a chain.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM

109 posts, read 562,321 times
One "friend" said to me (about my wire hair dachshund, the love of my life) "why don't you get a real dog?" The same "friend" didn't see why I was so upset when she told me about her daughter's dog, and since her daughter couldn't take care of it anymore, she just let it out of the apartment.... Imagine my reaction now.. I said to her Why didn't you take it to the Shelter?!?!? Any HUMAN BEING would do that... and my 'friend' said to me, well then the Shelter would have her name and she's never be able to get another dog there!!

EXACTLY my point! People like this don't deserve pets!!

My dachsie is part of our family... he even won over my hubby with his cuteness and little dog bit attitude.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,340,067 times
Yep, my Cassy is the best, love her just like my kids. Everyday when I come home from work her and my husband are on the front porch.....waiting. The kids used to do that too, but they wanted something........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or