U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,835,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I hope your little guy gets better very, very soon.

I am going on vacation next week and have to board one of my dogs. The other is staying with my son as it's actually his, but I've had her for almost 4 years as he lives in a small apartment not suitable for a country dog Lab.

Anyway, I'm so nervous about boarding mine. She won't have a clue what's going on and I know she'll think she was abandoned by her real mom (the Lab) and me, her human mom. I've never boarded an animal before, but I really like the place (checked it out last Saturday), and I'm sure she'll do fine. I hope I do fine as well.

It looks like she'll have tons of fun if she gets over her anxiety. I put her in the back of my truck yesterday to take her to the vet and she was shaking like a leaf. This little love weighs 54 pounds and still gets scared of strange things and not so strange things here in Texas like thunderstorms. She jumps on my lap when the thunder roars.

I had thought about having someone she knows check on her, but then realized that was a bad idea because she too would think she would be going home and then what progress was made would have to start over again.

KewGee! You have a catahoula shepherd????? ME TOO!!!! Part of him at least. I adopted him when he was 8 weeks old and they said he was a catahoula, lab, beagle, and probably a few other things. He weighs 66 lbs and he loves, loves, to kiss! He is the sweetest, smartest ever and we talk to him in English and Spanish and he understands every time. Come to think of it, I haven't noticed if I always say the same things in one language or the other or if I might say, Sit in English one day, and then in Spanish another. Or Sit in English and "come" in Spanish. "Go to Sleep" is always in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,460,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
KewGee! You have a catahoula shepherd????? ME TOO!!!! Part of him at least. I adopted him when he was 8 weeks old and they said he was a catahoula, lab, beagle, and probably a few other things. He weighs 66 lbs and he loves, loves, to kiss! He is the sweetest, smartest ever and we talk to him in English and Spanish and he understands every time. Come to think of it, I haven't noticed if I always say the same things in one language or the other or if I might say, Sit in English one day, and then in Spanish another. Or Sit in English and "come" in Spanish. "Go to Sleep" is always in English.
Too cute. He sounds wonderful.

Actually Katy is part Lab (her mom is a purebred Yellow Lab) and the vet told me the dad was a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog. She looks just the the Houlas I see on Dogster and on the web.

At the time, I said, "A who?" I had never heard of such a dog before. She is such a joy, smart too, full of tricks and shenanigans, and so very loveable. She truly is a remarkable dog, and I love her and Lady (the mom) so very much.

I cannot imagine life without them, and I will miss them and worry about them the whole time I'm on my vacation.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,835,697 times
Quote:
Too cute. He sounds wonderful.

Actually Katy is part Lab (her mom is a purebred Yellow Lab) and the vet told me the dad was a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog. She looks just the the Houlas I see on Dogster and on the web.

At the time, I said, "A who?" I had never heard of such a dog before. She is such a joy, smart too, full of tricks and shenanigans, and so very loveable. She truly is a remarkable dog, and I love her and Lady (the mom) so very much.

I cannot imagine life without them, and I will miss them and worry about them the whole time I'm on my vacation.
Whenever I've gone away away, my mother has moved into my house while we were gone. Now she moved in permanently but I'm not too sure she would do everything "just right". She's 77 y.o. and definitely can not walk the big dog, even the little one, but I have a big enough yard so it's ok.

The last vacation I took, we stayed in Florida and I rented a "pet friendly" cottage for a week so we could take the dogs. I wanted to expose them to different settings and the beach and stuff we don't normally get to do in the daily routine. They were really good sports and I didn't worry about them.
Of course, once in a while, we humans need a break too, so I'll try to take some time for myself too one of these days.

Enjoy your vacation! The dogs will be just fine (but I know how you feel).

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Whenever I've gone away away, my mother has moved into my house while we were gone. Now she moved in permanently but I'm not too sure she would do everything "just right". She's 77 y.o. and definitely can not walk the big dog, even the little one, but I have a big enough yard so it's ok.

The last vacation I took, we stayed in Florida and I rented a "pet friendly" cottage for a week so we could take the dogs. I wanted to expose them to different settings and the beach and stuff we don't normally get to do in the daily routine. They were really good sports and I didn't worry about them.
Of course, once in a while, we humans need a break too, so I'll try to take some time for myself too one of these days.

Enjoy your vacation! The dogs will be just fine (but I know how you feel).

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was going to have a neighbor watch them, but that is not even an option anymore. I don't trust any of my neighbors. If my parents were alive, they'd be the ones to take care of the pets like they used to do.

I'm flying to Atlanta anyway, and I really don't envy a dog that has to fly. It's scary enough for this human. Then from there, I'm driving with a friend through NC, VA, and then back down to GA via TN.

By the way, I talked to the neighbor tonight about the little neglected dog. She let him out of the yard while we were talking, and I loved on him. She said she had him in the house for a while and held him but mentioned again about him being hyper. Then he urinated on the floor and that was it ~ outside he went.

Duh!! I said he's just a baby and needs to be trained. I also said he will settle down in time and just needs to get used to being in the house. My gosh, if I hardly ever saw a person, I'd be full of anxiety myself. Grrrr!!

She also said that he was so attached to her and that's why the step-daughter didn't have him. That's not what she originally told me as posted in another one of my gripe sessions above.

Get this. The other dog whom she claims is spoiled rotten is over 3 years old and still not house trained. Weird. So what's a little more pee pee?

I asked her if she was going to make him stay outside when the Texas weather really turned unbearably hot which won't be long. My dogs are already hot when taken outside, but they're inside 95% of the day. Anyway, she said she would put him in the house and keep him in a room (probably the bathroom I would guess) and use a baby gate.

I wanted to ask her if she wanted him, but I believe I'll save that for another conversation. I thinks she likes him, but just doesn't show it like we do. I can't figure her out.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,427,812 times
I never understood how people can move to a "No pets allowed" dwelling and then just dump their pet.
Almost 12 years ago I got a free mutt puppy. I had been wanting a pup and a friend had a litter of 12. I had narrowed the choice down to three, trying to make my decision. One was too active, the other seemed shy, I thought I wanted the fat lazy pup that just laid in the gal's lap while I was considering which pup to take. I held the fat pup, but she didn't like me! She kept squirming to get away from me! Then I felt a little paw on my leg, looked down at the face of the shy pup, and fate was sealed. Before she was even a year old I left behind my small ranch and husband with nothing but what I could pack under the topper of my little VW pickup. I had that thing so full I had to put my duffel bag on the floorboard of the passenger side. I spread my garment bag over the top, covered that with a throw rug - and yup! - the pup on top! We went from Dodge City, KS to Saint Paul, MN like that, just the two of us. We came back the same way 8 months later. In her life we have lived in 5 different homes, and never have I had any trouble finding a place that would let me have pets!! When I got her I made a lifetime committment to her, and I just don't understand others that don't.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 PM

chele123

What a precious story. I'm glad you have the "pick of the litter" and the doggie is so loved.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,531,003 times
When I was in high school, my Father found an orphaned baby raccoon, his Mother had been killed and he was all alone.

My Father brought him home to me and I raised him on a bottle and then fed him cat food soaked in milk. I called him Fred and loved him dearly. When was little he rode around on my shoulder when I would cruise around town...

I had never intended to keep him into adulthood for several reasons, I don't think wild animals make good pets and he had a right to live in the wild. I had plans to take him to a summer camp where the Nature director had experience in returning orphaned animals to the wild, raccoons in particular.

My Father didn't understand why I would go to that trouble, my nephew wanted Fred which I knew was a bad idea AND the other suggestion from my Father was to just open the door and let him out...I could do neither.

Fred went to live at a summer camp in Arkansas where the children got to learn about him while he learned how to take care of himself...I have never felt anything so soft as his little hands.

Something in me changes when I hear someone say something heartless like that, I never look at them the same way again.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,395,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I never understood how people can move to a "No pets allowed" dwelling and then just dump their pet.
Almost 12 years ago I got a free mutt puppy. I had been wanting a pup and a friend had a litter of 12. I had narrowed the choice down to three, trying to make my decision. One was too active, the other seemed shy, I thought I wanted the fat lazy pup that just laid in the gal's lap while I was considering which pup to take. I held the fat pup, but she didn't like me! She kept squirming to get away from me! Then I felt a little paw on my leg, looked down at the face of the shy pup, and fate was sealed. Before she was even a year old I left behind my small ranch and husband with nothing but what I could pack under the topper of my little VW pickup. I had that thing so full I had to put my duffel bag on the floorboard of the passenger side. I spread my garment bag over the top, covered that with a throw rug - and yup! - the pup on top! We went from Dodge City, KS to Saint Paul, MN like that, just the two of us. We came back the same way 8 months later. In her life we have lived in 5 different homes, and never have I had any trouble finding a place that would let me have pets!! When I got her I made a lifetime committment to her, and I just don't understand others that don't.
thank you for sharing this precious story. it's refreshing to hear from people who are so committed to their pets.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
When I was in high school, my Father found an orphaned baby raccoon, his Mother had been killed and he was all alone.

My Father brought him home to me and I raised him on a bottle and then fed him cat food soaked in milk. I called him Fred and loved him dearly. When was little he rode around on my shoulder when I would cruise around town...

I had never intended to keep him into adulthood for several reasons, I don't think wild animals make good pets and he had a right to live in the wild. I had plans to take him to a summer camp where the Nature director had experience in returning orphaned animals to the wild, raccoons in particular.

My Father didn't understand why I would go to that trouble, my nephew wanted Fred which I knew was a bad idea AND the other suggestion from my Father was to just open the door and let him out...I could do neither.

Fred went to live at a summer camp in Arkansas where the children got to learn about him while he learned how to take care of himself...I have never felt anything so soft as his little hands.

Something in me changes when I hear someone say something heartless like that, I never look at them the same way again.

a priceless story ~ Thanks for sharing it!!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Quote:
I hope your little guy gets better very, very soon.

I am going on vacation next week and have to board one of my dogs. The other is staying with my son as it's actually his, but I've had her for almost 4 years as he lives in a small apartment not suitable for a country dog Lab.

Anyway, I'm so nervous about boarding mine. She won't have a clue what's going on and I know she'll think she was abandoned by her real mom (the Lab) and me, her human mom. I've never boarded an animal before, but I really like the place (checked it out last Saturday), and I'm sure she'll do fine. I hope I do fine as well.

It looks like she'll have tons of fun if she gets over her anxiety. I put her in the back of my truck yesterday to take her to the vet and she was shaking like a leaf. This little love weighs 54 pounds and still gets scared of strange things and not so strange things here in Texas like thunderstorms. She jumps on my lap when the thunder roars.

I had thought about having someone she knows check on her, but then realized that was a bad idea because she too would think she would be going home and then what progress was made would have to start over again.
Thanks KewGee. Our little dog is literally scared to death of storms. He shivers and shakes and tries to hide under the bed; he's gotten to where he doesn't even seek us for protection anymore (he used to). He was an abused dog that we literally rescued from the owner without their knowledge (sneaky, yes, but it had to be done). They poured gasoline on him and treated him horribly. Obviously most of the abuse came from the man of the house because to this day, I'm the only man that he will let close to him. And he's very protective, especially of my wife and to some degree me. He's only about 8 pounds but I sure wouldn't want him to bite; he's all muscle and I'm sure he could extract his pound of flesh if made angry. He still suffers emotional scars from the abuse that was heaped upon him. He's young (3 years at most), so we're hoping in the coming years those scars will heal somewhat. It's not a problem for us, we just want him to enjoy life to the fullest, especially after what he's been through. Good luck with you boarding your dog; I'm sure everything will be fine - it will probably be harder on you than on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or