U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,516,385 times

Advertisements

I have a picture of Fred somewhere, I need to find it...he was the coolest creature ever. He made wonderful noises in my ear when he rode around on my shoulder...

My cat, Ebony was not appreciative of his presence. We had to keep them seperated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,449,774 times
My two loveable pooches were unwanted until I came on the scene.

We just moved from Europe to America and they sure as hell came along with us. What flabbergasted me was because my furkids are getting on in age and have one or two minor health problems, people actually suggested that we have them put down! Why spend all the money flying them if they're only going to be with you for another year or two! WOW!

Well, let me tell you. They are my family and have been with me through thick and thin. They haven't judged me or ignored me. Always been there through tears, tantrums, smiles and good times.

So, no thanks to those "wise words." I'll gladly spend the money even if they are only with me just one more month!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post

We just moved from Europe to America and they sure as hell came along with us. What flabbergasted me was because my furkids are getting on in age and have one or two minor health problems, people actually suggested that we have them put down! Why spend all the money flying them if they're only going to be with you for another year or two! WOW!

Well, let me tell you. They are my family and have been with me through thick and thin. They haven't judged me or ignored me. Always been there through tears, tantrums, smiles and good times.

So, no thanks to those "wise words." I'll gladly spend the money even if they are only with me just one more month!

TET TEA!!!!!! TET TEA!!!!!!! Where were you? I've been thinking about you, gosh, every day for at least the last 5 days!

So you were moving??? Where are you living now?

Nice to see you again! Welcome back to the US of A!

(sorry everybody - small commercial break )

Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
My other favorite excuse:

"I'm getting rid of this one because it is so old - and getting a puppy. I don't want my children to have to see the old one die"......well, hello, let's hope they don't decide to get rid of YOU when you're old because they "don't want to see you die".

I have a 15 year old Rottie - when she was 12 she was surrendered to rescue because of a bad family situation -the mom and 4 kids were going to have to live in Section 8 housing because dad ran away from home. I totally understood that she needed to re-home the dog (although I don't know how, they'd had her since she was 8 weeks old)....the mom had SEVEN brothers and sisters and innumerable extended family members - no one would help. Mom's solution? Either rescue would take Miss Girl or they'd have her put to sleep because "she's so old, she doesn't have much longer"....ahhhhhhmmmmmm.......yes, it is unusual, but Miss Girl is now 15 years old and a heart dog for us!

People are just nuts. One of my favorite sayings:

A dog will treat you better than anyone you'll meet at happy hour. Trust me. I've been to happy hour....

Old 06-08-2007, 07:05 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
I read KewGee's dog story and I had to stifle back a tear myself.

Ten years ago, I adopted a feline "ward of the neighborhood" who either escaped or was left behind by his guardians when they moved out of my apartment complex. There are times that he has made my life more, um, complicated but he has also been there with me when I went through some challenging times. I would never think of giving up my cat to a shelter let alone the streets... and this comes from someone who grew up with dogs.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,446,230 times
Quote:

Amen! People have the most stupid notions about things as important as pets. They too are God's creatures just like humans, but unless they've been made mean by a human, they are so much better than people.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
Quote:
Aren't people absurd? We lived in the Caribbean and were moving stateside at a time that the airlines do not fly dogs because of temperature - only Continental, and they didn't fly to St. Croix. We had to charter a private plane to Puerto Rico to get me, one son, and 6 dogs off the island...then flew them Continental to Houston, rent two Caravans, then drove 12 hours to Arkansas. My father was about to blow an aneurysm and told me to "donate" them to the (kill) animal shelter on island - and please bear in mind, I am 50 years old - I was not asking him to pay for this adventure or even to participate...he told me my husband should leave me for "blowing" his money. All told it probably took $5K to get those dogs back to the States, and I do not regret a penny of it and never will.

People who aren't animal lovers just don't get it, I guess....quite a foreign notion to me....

Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,180,289 times
Beautiful stories! Anxiously awaiting KewGee's return -- and pictures of FRED, Lisa :>) Raccoons taught me never ever to just chuck things into a dumpster -- especially a virtually empty one -- without peeking & looking first. One day did just that, and heard something funny. Peeked in and the only things in there besides my bag were two little faces huddled together in the corner looking up. Called animal control to come free them (no bottom door or hatch on that dumpster.) Just hope I didn't bonk them on the heads or anything.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,336,121 times
KewGee, that should have said, ANY pet lover...grab a kleenex...because anyone who loves pets will be moved to tears.

Quote:
I think all of us on CD who have pets should make pages for our furry pals so we can all check them out.
I have a website for mine Ramsey Cats

One of them adopted us one June 5 years ago now. Didn't know she was pregnant at the time. We think she had been someone's pet but as she got bigger they decided they didn't want a cat just a kitten. So she found us. Blessed us with triplets. Had we found them homes, we would have but we didn't. We kept them instead. As a result, we have 5 furbabies.

I hope you enjoy the site. Liz

Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,982,385 times
Well I'm getting another 7 month old puppy tomorrow. The owner got her at 12 weeks old and now has to move and can't take her. She was trying to sell her but couldn't find a buyer...geez! At least she if bringing her here so I know she won't wind up in a lab somewhere...I was afraid of that originally when the owner said she wanted to wait and see if she could find a buyer before turning her over to rescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or