U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 PM

45 posts, read 188,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
This is a letter that was sent to our rescue as a joke, but it really does make a point:

Surrender letter to "CHILD RESCUE":

Please help! !!! After two long years of being on a waiting list for a dog,
we have been notified by Beagle Rescue that, at long last, our number has
come up and ... WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!!!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time
consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair
to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST
place the children up for adoption this
weekend!

They are described as:

One male - His name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde
hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite.
Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet.
Has had chicken pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed.

Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well
with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be
able to read soon.

One female - Her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry
blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at
times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a
little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy & can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls & little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training-shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for
them; that is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer
keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real
emergency here!!! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at
the latest or we will beforced to drop them off at the orphanage or along
some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

Sincerely,
Parents of Tommy and Lexie
I love your post. I must add my story. About 3 years ago my hubby found a little black cat in our backyard. I was away at a friends wedding. He fed her and cared for her outside. ( Long story: He could not bring her in the house bc one of my boys had an auto-immune disease and was not vaccinated) When I came home we took her to the vet. The Vet said that she may never get big because she was already 6 months old and very tiny. We named her Crowie and she became part of our family..for a while. She joined my 13 year old boys in the house after all the tests came back negative. We loved her, she HATED US. She would attack us at night while we slept. She would savagely attack my boys. She was not happy but we could not let her outside. The Vet said that boys and Crowie just need to battle it out. What about us???? After 2 months of her bitting, hitting and being a down right nightmare. I asked my mom if she could watch Crowie for a few days. My boys needed a break and so did we. When I went to pick up Crowie 2 days later. I was not allowed to take her. She loved my mom. She kissed my mom when she would put her hand to Crowies mouth. She slept right on my mom's chest at night. It was love! It turns out that Crowie wanted to be an only child. So, the new bed and toys and food bowls and food and grass plant all went to my mothers. Crowie is now a 15 pound mush, but only to my mother. She does not let anyone else pick her up or touch her.

Sometimes, giving a pet away is the best thing to do for them.
Crowie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch2007 View Post
I love your post. I must add my story. About 3 years ago my hubby found a little black cat in our backyard. I was away at a friends wedding. He fed her and cared for her outside. ( Long story: He could not bring her in the house bc one of my boys had an auto-immune disease and was not vaccinated) When I came home we took her to the vet. The Vet said that she may never get big because she was already 6 months old and very tiny. We named her Crowie and she became part of our family..for a while. She joined my 13 year old boys in the house after all the tests came back negative. We loved her, she HATED US. She would attack us at night while we slept. She would savagely attack my boys. She was not happy but we could not let her outside. The Vet said that boys and Crowie just need to battle it out. What about us???? After 2 months of her bitting, hitting and being a down right nightmare. I asked my mom if she could watch Crowie for a few days. My boys needed a break and so did we. When I went to pick up Crowie 2 days later. I was not allowed to take her. She loved my mom. She kissed my mom when she would put her hand to Crowies mouth. She slept right on my mom's chest at night. It was love! It turns out that Crowie wanted to be an only child. So, the new bed and toys and food bowls and food and grass plant all went to my mothers. Crowie is now a 15 pound mush, but only to my mother. She does not let anyone else pick her up or touch her.

Sometimes, giving a pet away is the best thing to do for them.
Crowie
Oh that is a great story! Cats can be like that. They pick one person and that's it for them...good thing you mother and her bonded so you didn't need to get anymore neosporin!...LOL Also I commend you for putting up with it for so long, no one can ever say you didn't try!

Old 06-16-2007, 05:34 AM

45 posts, read 188,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Oh that is a great story! Cats can be like that. They pick one person and that's it for them...good thing you mother and her bonded so you didn't need to get anymore neosporin!...LOL Also I commend you for putting up with it for so long, no one can ever say you didn't try!

LOL, yes we went through many band-aids and antiseptic. Crowie was our lil girl , we could never get mad at her for being a down right $*&^!. My boys were older and did not want to play with a kitten. We were used to many furbabies and did not know that she wanted to be the only one. It worked out well in th end. We miss Crowie but she is happier at my mom's being the only child.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,471,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
This poem broke my heart when I read it. Unfortunately, it is very often true. Dog lovers, you might want to grab your Kleenex.

How Could You..............

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter.

It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

Wow! I couldn't stop crying! Thats one of things where you know its happening everyday, but you don't want to hear about it (even though you know you need to).. you know?? I HATE how people will go buy dogs from pet stores or from backyard breeders and act like there aren't all of these dogs in shelters that needs homes! And I really, really, really hate when someone gets a dog and doesn't keep it for the dogs whole life! My husband and I consider our 2 dogs like our children! Alot of people think that its stupid, but we would do anything for our dogs! They are part of our family, part of us and they will be forever! We have two APBTs so, things will most likely end up getting hard for us. Its already bad enough that I have to defend them all day everyday and now we will most likely have to move, get special insurance, etc, etc. I don't care what happens.. I mean it would be hard to have to move and start all over, but we will not be giving our dogs up! It breaks my heart because other dog owners, dog owners that don't like pits don't care that we will have to go through this. I would fight against BSL for any breed whether I owned that breed or not.. whether I even like that breed or not! We saved both of our pups so that they could have a long, happy, healthy life with a family that loves them as much as they love their family. There is no way in hell we will be giving them up. The day we got them we made it our job, goal, responsibility.. whatever you want to call it.. to take care of them the same way they would take care of us. As for the dog owners that are for BSL.. I don't see how they can sleep at night knowing what they are putting other responsible, loving, respectful dog owners through. It really does make me sick! If you look at the list of dogs that are affected by BSL you can see that its not just pitties anymore, its not even just so-called "dangerous" breeds anymore. Alot of places are banning ALL breeds that are over a certain weight along with the so-called "dangerous" breeds. I don't understand how people just think it will stop there! There will still be dogs and there will still be the same irresponsible, abusive, neglectful, heartless, disturbed people that want to get a dog for all of the wrong reasons. When the attacks continue what are we going to do then?? Will be ban the rest of the breeds or will it be okay because there are no more "pit bulls" and "dangerous" breeds around??? It just makes no sense and all its going to do (and is doing) is break up families, break peoples hearts and kill off whole breeds.. wonderful breeds! Breeds that horrible people tend to be attracted to! The only way to stop all of this (besides killing every dog in the world) is to not let irresponsible, abusive, neglectful, heartless, disturbed people own pets!... Okay, lol, I am done now! I get carried away when it comes to stuff like this.. lol! But, that story/ poem just made me think of all of the horrible people that get dogs and just throw them away like they are trash and it made me think of all of the WoNdErFuL owners, who have done a WoNdErFuL job raising, training and socializing their dogs, who want to keep their dogs forever and would never just leave them, who would do anything for their loved family member(s)... but yet they have had or will have to give their dogs up. They will have to just let their dog, their friend, their companion, their family member.. get taken away and killed just because of their dogs breed!?!?!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 AM

284 posts, read 925,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee
This poem broke my heart when I read it. Unfortunately, it is very often true. Dog lovers, you might want to grab your Kleenex.
Just wanted to say thank you for posting this. It broke my heart and left me sobbing. I have always taken pet adoption extremely seriously, but was struggling with a puppy we recently got. This really set my perspective straight regarding how much they add to our lives and what a worthy investment they are. Made me want to give her all the love she deserves and exercise more patience.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM

568 posts, read 849,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
A close relative actually said that when our dog was dying. You know, when she has health concerns, I just can't bring myself to feel concerned. I just can't. Sounds heartless, but she just ripped something out that day. Can't put the "care" switch back on.
When she has health problems. What you should say is "You're dying? Oh, well you're just a human being. There are plenty more of your kind out there."

If I ever had anyone say that to me with my dog dying, I would probably end up in jail.

Damn, I can't stand people sometimes.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM

352 posts, read 632,064 times
Ugh, that story....I'm crying at my desk.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:42 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
If people are oblivious to what an animal means to you, they will say dumb things, and they should pay for that dearly by losing your regard. They've earned that lack of regard, for sure.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,405,524 times
Will be traveling back and forth for new job interview ..... can't get anyone to watch cat.

Child didn't do homework, so I'm dumping his dog.

Ex-wife says child is allergic to my new wife's cat, so won't let my daughter visit till she dumps the cat.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
My Aunt belonged to "dog of the month club"....in the same time span we had one dog she had several...my kids wanted to know why they always got a new dog...and we were stuck with our same old dog...Sam...for thirteen years...anyway...one time....I kid you not....my Aunt was going away on a trip...they dropped the dog off at the shelter...because they could just get another one when they got home....and maybe this one would be better trained.

Really....you can't pick your relatives....amazing....absolutely clueless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or