Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times

Advertisements

I just heard a radio commercial that made me think "what the heck?"

It was for earth friendly pet waste disposal bags. This as opposed to the plastic bags commonly used and of course more expensive.

Does it not occur to these people that this waste is bio-degradable in its original form, with no help from people?

I think that someone is really reaching here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
*nodding*

I remember when it wasn't enforced that you had to clean up after your animal. Dogs poop! And responsible owners would stick to keeping the "potty" breaks away from harm (or expensive cleaning detriment) to other's shoes as they pass by.

If you ask me, the law was created due to the decline in responsible pet owners, and maintained due to obnoxious non-pet owners who didn't want to deal with the prospect of having to put up with it - even if it was secluded to a potty-break area only. Why isn't there a small company making millions off of enlisting people to clean up after your dogs for you - and mass producing some of the cheapest, home grown - hand tested crop fertlizer out there!?

The bit in the news about using biodegradable products to eliminate biodegradable waste in the first place is ... round robin logic. At least it's keeping them busy.

DOGS POOOP! If you don't like it, go live on another planet where there aren't any. I'm sure the dogs don't like putting up with some of the more abrasive side-effects of having to live with humans, too, sometimes. But do you see them complaining?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
There are always going to be people who try to monetize crap, no pun intended.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
The waste may be biodegradable in its own form, but if it is turning up on city streets, hiking trails and parks, then I don't care how biodegradable it is, it needs to be picked up by the OWNER. Do you see banana peels littering our parks and trails? No...and believe me, I'd much rather step on a banana peel than in dog crap.

As for my own yard, I could appreciate the biogradability of my dog's feces if I wanted to, but appreciating would be made more difficult while I was swatting flies. So I keep the yard nice and tidy for myself and I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it too.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times
MK, am I reading your post right? Are you saying that people should not pick up dog poop?

If that's the case, I will have to strongly dissagree.

1. The #1 reason IMO to pick up poop, a reason that could stand by itself, is that dog poop can spead disease and parasites to other dogs. Not sure, but I believe children can also pick up some parasites from dog poop.
2. Based on the areas of my lawn that my dog prefers to poop on, it makes a horrible fertilizer and if I don't get to it quickly enough to pick it up it attracts a host of flies and carrion beetles.
3. It smells horrible en mass, IMO far worse than the horse/cow poop that is usually used for fertilizer.
4. When out walking, you can't always control where you dog is going to poop. I often find coiled piles right smack in the middle of the sidewalk. Tell me that shouldn't be picked up.

I can just imagine what the dog park (for example) would be like if they had a little "toilet" area. Let's say it's mid July. With the quantity of dogs visiting the park, I would bet the area would be quite covered before the poop started to break down. I can picture dogs going in there and getting waste on their paws & in their fur & then stopping for a poop snack after doing their business. Meanwhile the owners are all standing at the far end of the field to escape the stench and swarming flies.

With my opinions aside, the fact remains that in most places, picking up poop in public areas is the law. If ya gotta bag it, what's wrong with using a bag that's good for the earth Although I will admit, "green" has become such a fad, and there are many pricy "green" products popping up everywhere you look because that's where the money's at right now

*Wanted to add, our city provides biodegradable poop bags for free. They have trash cans & baggie dispensers set up along the city's riverside walking paths as well as at the dog park. So, when I see poop left on the sidewalk or even alonside the side walk, it really ticks me off. There's no excuse, that's just plain LAZYness.

Last edited by SheridanPDC; 03-22-2010 at 05:21 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
I had no idea that other animals/humans could contract diseases from dog poop. I thought these were just a bunch of uncompassionate non-pet-owning PC-idiots looking for a reason to gripe some more.

*sigh*

I haven't had a dog since the last beagle died almost 2 years ago. I guess you can tell! I'm out of the doggy loop.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Green or not to be Green, i opt for picking up dog poop sorry, it is just nasty to look at, causes health problems, and viruses, and other not so nice bacterias going on with the poop. And i of course agree that these days there are so many non responsible pet owners who should not own a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets