U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,086,269 times

Advertisements

OK, Gator, I've got to ask. How do you get such great pics of a dark dog? What kind of camera? Are you using a flash? Are you overexposing? Am I correct in assuming that one person is distracting the dog while another is taking the picture?

We have a hard time getting good shots of our two chocolates. I'm very envious of all the great photos in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
OK, Gator, I've got to ask. How do you get such great pics of a dark dog? What kind of camera? Are you using a flash? Are you overexposing? Am I correct in assuming that one person is distracting the dog while another is taking the picture?

We have a hard time getting good shots of our two chocolates. I'm very envious of all the great photos in this thread.
You're right, it IS difficult to get good shots of them! My Rudy (as you can see) is mostly black, and I used to have a solid black cat, so I feel your pain. The absolute worst setting is indoors & close-up with a flash, which gets you a very shiny dog like this:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/110_2240.jpg (broken link)

Next worst is to go indoors with NO flash, which gives you a very blurry dog:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/110_2233.jpg (broken link)

Soooo, I've found that the BEST is outdoors, no flash, with medium light (maybe around 4-6pm)... I don't have a good one of Rudy on this computer, but here's a glamorous shot of dark-blue Cyrus.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/IMG_2274.jpg (broken link)

Fyi, most of these were just done with a cheap digital point & shoot, but I also use a Minolta Maxxum SLR film camera - which gets much better shots than what I've posted here!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 PM

90 posts, read 338,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post

The key to shooting a dark dog is OUTSIDE during early morning or early evening hours or overcast days. I really try not to shoot my dog inside because it never turns out right.

There are several different cameras I used...#1 is a Fuji FinePix point-n-shoot just in auto mode during an overcast day. Pic #3 is a Sony Cybershot point-n-shoot again on a more overcast day/screened enclosure. #2, 4, 5 is with a Nikon D100 SLR. It is new to me so I am still learning. Pic #2, 5 are early evening shots and #4 is an overcast day as well. No flash on any of those.

I didn't use anyone to distract her but it is helpful. She has a good sit/stay so usually I put her in a sit/stay and shoot away and something else will catch her attention. I know in one of those she spied a cat and tried to run off...Pics #3, 4 I threw a ball for her. She is actually catching a ball in the pic with the shepard mix.

It is tough...trust me, I showed you the best of what I've got

Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,236,632 times
Awesome pics, everyone!...here are a few of my kids...

~Lady-Layla~

~Abbs~

~Abbs & Friends~

Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM

321 posts, read 1,421,544 times
Here are a few shots of my very versatile Flat Coated Retriever Boone doing his thing.

First as a show dog:

Then a fetching machine:

Then showing off the ribbon he won for Rally!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
tao

720 posts, read 2,967,420 times

Old 06-09-2007, 05:23 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,202,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Boomer at nine weeks.

Best shot I've ever taken of him.
What kind of dog is that?? I want him.
I love ALL these cute pictures guys even the cute spider bug thingy!!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,511,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
What kind of dog is that?? I want him.
I love ALL these cute pictures guys even the cute spider bug thingy!!
They're me pumis

Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 PM

90 posts, read 338,780 times
gorgeous flatcoat!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:32 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,528,930 times
Cat profile for Tumnus the Fawn, a male Breed Unknown

Cat profile for Salem, a male Breed Unknown

Cat profile for Rufus the Pufus, a male Siamese/Breed Unknown

Follow the links to my cats pages...

I LOVE all the pictures but I am really in love with that black lab...my sister had one years ago, his name was Bo...I bet he loves that pool, he probably thinks you have it just for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or