U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM

66 posts, read 288,142 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with these dogs?

An ex-co-worker has a few and loves them, but she was in an office in a different part of the country (before she quit) so I never got a chance to check them out.

I was thinking about getting a bull mastiff (my sister has one, a very cool dog), or some other kind of large dog. But my ex-co-worker spoke very highly of her dogs.

From what I've read so far, they seem pretty cool, though a bit higher maintenance than a Bull Mastiff. Need a lot of exercise and are very social. Don't like to be left alone.

Anyone... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,665,429 times
My only encounter with the breed is to know that police enjoy targeting them along with Am Staffs (Pibbles!), Argentinian Dogos, Mastiffs, American Bulldogs and other large/ giant breeds beyond Great Danes.

It's purely based on who has ruined their reputations (drug dealers), poor pet ownership (lack of proper training for both dog and owner) and overall 'look' ("mean" to the average wuss).

Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 PM

13,737 posts, read 18,622,132 times
yep you might want to check if your homeowners insurance will cover you with that breed . alot of breeds end up on an agressive breeds list which is not their fault . I think it is a load of crap .

Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,952,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
My only encounter with the breed is to know that police enjoy targeting them along with Am Staffs (Pibbles!), Argentinian Dogos, Mastiffs, American Bulldogs and other large/ giant breeds beyond Great Danes.

It's purely based on who has ruined their reputations (drug dealers), poor pet ownership (lack of proper training for both dog and owner) and overall 'look' ("mean" to the average wuss).
Excuse me??? Police 'target' them?? Care to explain your slanted view on that one?

Like every other breed in the world, they're fabulous dogs if you know what you're bringing home, are dedicated to their training - and they'll need consistent constant training all their life, and are a responsible owner. They're not a 'beginner' dog, that's for sure, so if you've never owned a large dog and have no experience with training and working with them, they're probably not going to be your best choice.

Like mentioned above, check your homeowners insurance, with your landlord if you rent and with your town and county to make sure there is no BSL against them.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Excuse me??? Police 'target' them?? Care to explain your slanted view on that one?

Like every other breed in the world, they're fabulous dogs if you know what you're bringing home, are dedicated to their training - and they'll need consistent constant training all their life, and are a responsible owner. They're not a 'beginner' dog, that's for sure, so if you've never owned a large dog and have no experience with training and working with them, they're probably not going to be your best choice.

Like mentioned above, check your homeowners insurance, with your landlord if you rent and with your town and county to make sure there is no BSL against them.
Very easy to explain really, police departments (like the local yokel one near me) have a list of dogs that they routinely are uh..."afraid of" for lack of a better word...it kind of coincides with the insurance list of dogs. No one said they were dangerous, harmful, or whatever...so get a grip. Slanted view? Lady get off your high horse with the cops.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM

And yep, HILLBILLY COPS with no resources outside of putzing around their hillbilly towns, living insulated lives...those are the ones that target certain breeds of dogs.

All dogs are harmless until made harmful by and idiot.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,952,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Very easy to explain really, police departments (like the local yokel one near me) have a list of dogs that they routinely are uh..."afraid of" for lack of a better word...it kind of coincides with the insurance list of dogs. No one said they were dangerous, harmful, or whatever...so get a grip. Slanted view? Lady get off your high horse with the cops.
My high horse? I just have a problem with someone painting everyone / everything of a specific type with a wide brush. I was a 'cop' and never had a problem with a single breed of dog and do rescue work now. I'm not on a high horse, but I'm not a brainless twit either.

Painting every person in law enforcement as someone that hates a specific breed - or 'targets' them as you put it is about as moronic and brainless as saying a specific breed of dog is bad.

How about you use your brain instead of spouting off? Good grief. Talk about someone contradicting themself.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 PM

12 posts, read 75,658 times
I adopted a cane corso about four months ago and she's a fantastic dog--for me and my family. She's a little over two and we were told she might have been abused at some point given a few behavioral quirks but here's what I've experience with her. She's definitely is a very clingy dog but that's what I wanted, lol. Normally a couch potato inside, but loves to get out and run and play outside. She picked up our normal routines pretty quickly and has learned new commands surprisingly well--we don't know what training she had before but she's learned things like 'go to the door, downstairs, bedtime, stand, paw (right front), other paw (left front), foot (left back), other foot (right back), back, wait, hush, come away, find it, take it, etc that I'm pretty sure were new to her. She doesn't seem to particularly like kids in general but she's very tolerant of them and seems to be quite careful around them.

Now, the problems that we've run into are that she's very territorial--considers everything that she can see from the house/yard to belong to her and has scared a few of our neighbors as she'll run right up to the fence and bark at them (we're working on fixing this). To be fair, I don't blame the neighbors for getting nervous--she can look pretty frightening when she wants to. However, when we've taken her to the dog park, local hardware store, etc, she's been fine with people. Doesn't really like strangers petting her but she just turns away or ignores them if it happens.

Aside from the territory issues, something else we've discovered is that she loves to chase things. She'll happily chase people, birds, squirrels, etc. Even chased a dirt bike for a while once. She's not inclined to do anything once she's chased it down, but that instinct to chase is definitely there and can be frightening for people who don't know what to expect. We haven't had any problems come out of this but say if the dirtbike she'd chased down hadn't belonged to a relative who knew her she probably would have freaked him out pretty good.

There are a few corso breed bans in effect in various parts of the country if you look it up. Which given the large muscular guard dog appearance isn't exactly surprising really. Good idea to check just to be sure that you aren't going to run into such problems, but I think bans on corsos are pretty rare at the moment so you're probably fine.

Anyways, I guess my main point here is simply to be sure of what you're getting into and how you'd expect the dog to fit into your lifestyle. I love our corso and hope to talk my husband into another one at some point but I think I'd be careful to track down a breeder with dogs that have very solid temperaments (which would hold true for a bull mastiff as well--you do not want to end up with a touchy 100lb+ guard dog with an attitude problem. I've seen that and the results are not good.)

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,814,977 times
Back when I still went to dog parks, I met a young Cane Corso who seemed very friendly and energetic. We met him a few times and the one thing I remember was that he loved to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or