Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

I learned that roosters are banned in urban lots,because of their screams...
Is there any painless humane way either to muffle or silence a rooster so that he can be acceptable in urban backyards..?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
No, and even if there was a way, most cities have laws in place banning barnyard animals from specific towns and size plots...It wouldn't matter if the rooster could crow or not, it's still a rooster.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
No, there is not.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
As a teen I live in S. Calif. For a psychology assignment (imprinting), I hatched a chick and had it imprint on my. Once that was all done and the chick was big enough to keep flying/jumping out of the box I had it in, I gave it to a friend with a big back yard and tall brick wall around it. It grew in a huge beautiful Rhonde Island Red rooster. However, it would fly up to the corner of the tall brick wall and crow off and on all day. People began to complain and it was not legal to keep animals like that within city limits. She found a farm outside of the area that needed a rooster and off he went to his new home.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM

I see that there is no ...hope for a...silent rooster...

Unfortunately,the subject is covered...

Thanks for the (sad) info...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycrat View Post
I learned that roosters are banned in urban lots,because of their screams...
Is there any painless humane way either to muffle or silence a rooster so that he can be acceptable in urban backyards..?
I think you could anaesthetize him before you kill him.

What do you need a rooster for anyway? The hens will lay with or without him and if you need chicks you have a lot more control if you simply purchase a few.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
As a teen I live in S. Calif. For a psychology assignment (imprinting), I hatched a chick and had it imprint on my. Once that was all done and the chick was big enough to keep flying/jumping out of the box I had it in, I gave it to a friend with a big back yard and tall brick wall around it. It grew in a huge beautiful Rhonde Island Red rooster. However, it would fly up to the corner of the tall brick wall and crow off and on all day. People began to complain and it was not legal to keep animals like that within city limits. She found a farm outside of the area that needed a rooster and off he went to his new home *DINNERTABLE*.
~Jimbo

Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
We had some neighbors with roosters and hens, I actually enjoyed listening to the crowing, day and night. But the other neighbors were not amused--after a few years, with all the complaints the town made the neighbors get rid of the chickens, as the lot wasn't large enough. But I don't understand why most towns and cities won't let you keep hens, even on one acre lots. They are quiet and don't require a lot of room.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think you could anaesthetize him before you kill him.

What do you need a rooster for anyway? The hens will lay with or without him and if you need chicks you have a lot more control if you simply purchase a few.

For reproduction,thus having a closed loop self sufficiency poultry production...

Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycrat View Post
For reproduction,thus having a closed loop self sufficiency poultry production...
I see, you are interested in sustainable meat - not eggs.

I would say that you are not going to be economically competitive with the retail prices of an organic farmer selling whole chickens at a farmers market and you will not bear any losses from predation, disease, poisoning or injury buying good meat that you will bear raising good meat. The more chickens you have, the more efficient and cost effective the operation becomes; it is difficult to get to the tipping point working in your backyard.

Also, if you don't have a poultry background or food prep background you may not be able to produce birds that are as healthy and nutritious as the farmer who knows how to jump through the "certified organic" hoops.

In other words, it's pretty easy to achieve "egg independence" in a backyard but considerably more difficult to achieve "chicken independence".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets