Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM

409 posts, read 2,782,588 times

Advertisements

we had a terrible thunder and lightning storm 1 a.m. and i wish i had known how much benedril to give her. she is hard to ignore as she pants during the whole thing and that makes her drool so i constantly have a wash cloth handy. we wound up in the bathroom in the corner and she stayed quieter for a while. it's just awful. My dog is 16 lbs, how much does she get or do i have to ask a vet to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
we had a terrible thunder and lightning storm 1 a.m. and i wish i had known how much benedril to give her. she is hard to ignore as she pants during the whole thing and that makes her drool so i constantly have a wash cloth handy. we wound up in the bathroom in the corner and she stayed quieter for a while. it's just awful. My dog is 16 lbs, how much does she get or do i have to ask a vet to be safe.
Just give your vet a phone call, they can answer over the phone as they know her history.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Wish we'd thought to ask our doggies' Doctor about sedatives when they were trying to squeeze big bodies under kitchen sink & pantry cabinets, to heck with whatever WAS in there first. And jumping in bathtubs when they'd take a break from panting on & pawing us like crazy LOL Pretty weird when they'd choose the tub of all places since they hated baths!
"If you help me, you can give me a bath!"????

Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Wow, I feel so much better that there are other parents out there with the same issue. Shadow, our almost 9 year old needy male is just pitiful during storms, and fireworks. He was always fine until he hit 5 years old. They say it's their hearing that becomes more sensitive.

He pants, tail under, and climbs all over me, under foot, etc. Love him to pieces but sometimes it just gets on my nerves.

I have tried benadryl, rescue remedy, calm down, etc. I am prisoner in my home during storms, because he scratches down the paint on the door to the bare wood. I have even run the vacuum, blasted the tv...nothing. I finally resorted to tranquilizers if I know a bad storm is coming.

My final resort was buying a crate two weeks ago. I put him in there, cover the top and sides with a blanket and he cries and whines, but at least I know my house and sanity will remain in tact.

sigh, what's a mother to do?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:29 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Valium !!!
My vet gave me a prescription for one of my dogs who freaks out during a thunder storm or fireworks. It is a light 2mg dose he is 75#s
poor thing whines and tries to get under the sofa or table. I have found this works very well. he isn't knocked out just in that "who cares" kind of state.
I was more worried abouthis reacting to the strom because he is 11.
As everyone else has said talk to your vet.

karla

Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
Is it safe to give a small 10 lb dog a benadryl tab to calm him down when he sences a storm in the area?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
you could probably give 1/2 of a children's benedryl (12.5 mg) ..... but with such a tiny dog, i would check with your vet for advice.......

it is REALLY important to make sure that what you give your dog is BENEDRYL ONLY..... none of those multi-symptom medications..... those contain tylenol which is deadly to your dog......

Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
..........sigh, what's a mother to do?
Just a thought but have you considered earplugs for your dog to dampen the loud sounds? I did this when I took my dog on a trip that involved multiple trips to a gun range. Worked great! I used cotton balls because his ear canals were too large for human preformed gel style or disposable foam plugs like you might buy at the drug store.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,570 times
My dogs are sensitive to thunderstorms & fireworks also. One thing I found that helps, but does not eliminate their reaction totally, is to associate the loud noise with treats & praise. For example, my dogs already know when I say 'yaaaaa' and clap my hands they are doing someting really good and they are getting a treat. I have started to do this when the storm starts. I can't say it works 100%, but it does help lessen their reaction a bit. When I hear thunder, I say 'yaaa' and clap my hands like it is a good thing the thunder is occuring, not a bad thing. They seems to react less fearfully than they had before.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
During last night's thunderstorm, our cats were in the window watching. Apparently they don't know that they're supposed to be scared. They must have seen us sitting on the porch watching the storm and figured it was OK?
My dogs are the same way . If there's a good storm going on, they love to sit backwards on the sofa and watch the lightning. They like to watch fireworks, too. When the town puts on fireworks, we have a great view from our backyard. The 3 dogs will just sit and watch the entire display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets