Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM

47 posts, read 161,497 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I would like to travel from NJ from the West Trenton Train Station into North Philly....I have been driving however, I need to start taking the train until I find a place in Philly....anyone have any suggestions? I have no clue on Septa/Ltrain, etc....Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Where will you be working in North Philly? If it's Temple University, then the R3 train will take you right there.

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/wtr.pdf

If not, then you would do better to get off at the following stop - Market East - transfer to the Market-Frankford Blue Line (aka the "El"), take that two stops to 15th, transfer freely to the Broad Street Subway and take it north to the station closest to your employer. In this scenario, it would make your life easier to purchase a weekly (or monthly) Zone 6/Anywhere Trailpass. It looks like it's about to go up to $53 and $191, respectively.

http://www.septa.org/fares/new/fare-brochure-2010.pdf
(See pages 3 and 4.)

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
If not, then you would do better to get off at the following stop - Market East - transfer to the Market-Frankford Blue Line (aka the "El"), take that two stops to 15th, transfer freely to the Broad Street Subway and take it north

no no no . . . that would be brutal. If you're on the R3 then you transfer directly to the Subway at Fern Rock.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post

no no no . . . that would be brutal. If you're on the R3 then you transfer directly to the Subway at Fern Rock.
Oh snap you are correct. I honestly forgot that the R3 stopped at Fern Rock.

My apologies to the OP.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Oh snap you are correct. I honestly forgot that the R3 stopped at Fern Rock.

My apologies to the OP.
word. people who come from the former Pennsy lines always forget that the Reading line trains stop at Fern Rock.

But aren't you from Abington? for shame

Old 06-26-2010, 05:24 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Heck, transferring at Suburban Station to get on the Broad Street Line northbound would also be easier than transferring at Market East. Actually, if somebody gets off at Market East, that person should transfer to the Broad-Ridge Spur at 8th and Market, walking through the Gallery at Market East to get there.

To avoid confusing the OP, the idea suggested above - transfer from the R3 West Trenton to the Broad Street Line at Fern Rock - is the simplest and best route to take.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 AM

244 posts, read 747,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Heck, transferring at Suburban Station to get on the Broad Street Line northbound would also be easier than transferring at Market East. Actually, if somebody gets off at Market East, that person should transfer to the Broad-Ridge Spur at 8th and Market, walking through the Gallery at Market East to get there.

To avoid confusing the OP, the idea suggested above - transfer from the R3 West Trenton to the Broad Street Line at Fern Rock - is the simplest and best route to take.
What about the R7? It has a North Philly stop.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
What about the R7? It has a North Philly stop.
The OP asked about using the R3 from West Trenton. He could actually get off at the North Broad station and walk to the Broad Street Line, but the North Broad and for that matter the North Philadelphia stations are in less than ideal locations (coincidentally near the former sites of Baker Bowl and Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium, but that's another subject).

Old 06-26-2010, 01:10 PM

47 posts, read 161,497 times
Hey Everyone! Thanks for your input! I am thinking of taking the train out of west trenton instead of princeton since I hear parking is much easier! I work around Broad St and Girard so if something could bring me to around there than its perfect! I dont mind walking however, when it is dark, I def wouldnt feel comfortable in that area so finding a direct route would be great!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
Definitely take the R3 to Fern Rock and then you walk a brief way up to the subway platform to get onto the Broad Street Line and take that to the Girard stop. Now, for the subway, you can take the express line (and I'd recommend it, so much quicker and runs frequently) or the local. However, for the R3, you need to be aware of which train you are getting on. On a local train, they all stop at Fern Rock but for the express, some will stop but many won't stop at Fern Rock, so just be aware of that.

Also, SEPTA being as lovely as it is, if you see it listed as an express that stops at Fern Rock, I'd ask if I were you, not just a conductor (who might not be that familiar with that particular train), but a knowledgeable passenger at the train station, if the train really does stop at Fern Rock. For the longest, maybe even still, I rode an R3 that was listed on the schedule as stopping at Elkins Park, but it most definitely never did and people were forever getting on expecting it to stop there. It was a great train because it was a like an express and seemed to get from CC to Jenkintown in 20 minutes, but I'm sure the people who got off at Elkins Park weren't nearly as enamored with that particular train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia