U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 04:32 PM

63 posts, read 215,942 times

Advertisements

My son won #1 of FBLA (Future Business Leader of America) of New Jersey for Piscataway High School and going to represent NJ to compete Nationwide FBLA in Nashville TN. (Top 2 teams of each state will go to Nationwide FBLA)

Due to the saving of air tickets from school district (well, these years Piscataway High School got so many student won #1 or #2 in NJ FBLA), his team is going to fly from Philadelphia Airport instead of Newark International Airport, but the problem is the airplane will leave early in the morning. So, may be we would have to drive in nearby hotel the day before.

Which hotel would you recommend to stay nearby Philadelphia Airport? and maybe where to tour while in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM

15 posts, read 59,392 times
Congratulations to your son. What a great accomplishment. I would suggest the Marriott that is attached to the airport. It's a little bit pricey. However, he can have peace of mind knowing he can walk to the gate from his hotel room. #215-492-9000.

If the Marriott is out of the price range, I'd putting in a web search for "Philadelphia airport hotels". They had around 20 hotels around the airport. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 PM

42,677 posts, read 44,333,150 times
Starwood Hotels Airport Collection

Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 PM

15 posts, read 59,392 times
Regarding the second question, if you are staying at the airport, the R1 regional rail line can take you right into Center City Philadelphia. It drops you off at Market Street East station which is a few blocks from Old City, where the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Ben Franklin's House etc are located. If you're driving from an airport hotel, Center City is 15 minutes tops. Enjoy the city, it's a great experience.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,406 times
Default Marriott gets my vote!

We are staying at the Marriott at PHL and paying $89. Last time we stayed at the Micro-tel adjacent to PHL and paid $99, but we did get to park our car there for 10 days. Only problem with the Marriott is that it is like being on an island in the middle of Times Square, lots of activity, but you are not part of it.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 AM

175 posts, read 611,304 times
Try Priceline. You can review the airport hotels on the map and make a bid to pay less.

Congratulations to your son... it sounds like a great experience!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,093,146 times
Most airport hotels should either offer a shuttle or be convenient enough for taxis idling at the airport to swing by. I would just avoid any hotels based out in Essington as opposed to the city itself. It's a pretty dreary area IMO and probably not worth whatever savings you would gain from the further distance.

As far as nearby attractions go, there is the John Heinz Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/heinz/index.html as well as Bartram's Garden http://www.bartramsgarden.org/. Most of the usual historical attractions that Philly is known for are located downtown, 20 minutes away by car or via the "R1" Airport commuter rail.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM

434 posts, read 1,124,063 times
In the early morning it's a quick (15 minute max) drive from Center City Philadelphia to the airport. You may want to consider staying in a hotel downtown. It would probably make your touring more exciting, even if it meant you'd have to get up earlier for your flight.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 9,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota1990 View Post
My son won #1 of FBLA (Future Business Leader of America) of New Jersey for Piscataway High School and going to represent NJ to compete Nationwide FBLA in Nashville TN. (Top 2 teams of each state will go to Nationwide FBLA)

Due to the saving of air tickets from school district (well, these years Piscataway High School got so many student won #1 or #2 in NJ FBLA), his team is going to fly from Philadelphia Airport instead of Newark International Airport, but the problem is the airplane will leave early in the morning. So, may be we would have to drive in nearby hotel the day before.

Which hotel would you recommend to stay nearby Philadelphia Airport? and maybe where to tour while in that area?

If you want to tour the city then do NOT stay at the airport. The R1 takes you STRAIGHT to the airport. SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map

There are affordable hotels in center city. I have stayed at the Latham in Rittenhouse Square but I think there are cheaper options.

Things to see:
-Art Museum
-Academy of Fine Art
-Rhodin Museum
-Franklin Institute
-Fels Planetarium
-Please Touch Museum/Centenial Hall
-Barnes Foundation Museum(outside the city)
-Academy of Music
-Academy of Natural Science
-City Hall
-Chinatown
-Old City/Historic District
-Independence Hall
-Liberty Bell(boring)
-2nd Bank of US
-Merchants Exchange
-Navy Yard (old battleships)
-USS New Jersey
-Penn's Campus
-Frankin Field
-boathouse row
-Sports complex if you want to see a gam
-Blue Horizon (boxing)
-Girard College
-zoo(west Phila) on Girard Ave
-Eastern State Penitentary

Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 40,930 times
I work at the airport and know that all the local hotels offer a shuttle to and from the airport. Just search hotels.com and do a 5 mile proximity to the airport. There's a couple marriots, a rennaiscance, an embassy, a comfort inn, and a bunch more. The R1 train is easy from the airport and will get him close to any hotel in University City, Chinatown and business district. I have a document I created for visitors that come into our city for training with my company - if you are still trying to find a hotel and would like that document, feel free to Email me!
Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-09-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: posting a private email address on a public forum is ill-advised; suggest instead an invitation to Direct Message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or