Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,164 times

Advertisements

I am a recent Canadian University graduate looking to move to Philadelphia for social work. I have never been to Philadelphia before and I am interested in knowing what areas are considered to be more safe to live in than others. I am also curiours as to what the average cost is to rent a 1 bedroom apartment? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney28 View Post
I am a recent Canadian University graduate looking to move to Philadelphia for social work. I have never been to Philadelphia before and I am interested in knowing what areas are considered to be more safe to live in than others. I am also curiours as to what the average cost is to rent a 1 bedroom apartment? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Unfortunately not much of the city is considered (or is) safe. Safe in my book translates to either imminent threat to one's safety, or the perception of not being safe. Neither is a pleasant way to live. I know on a Social Work budget you're typically not on a big salary either and finding a one bedroom apartment that is in one of those areas for less than $1000 per month is pretty much impossible. You might consider sharing in one of the nice areas that is centrally located or going it alone a bit further out in a safer spot.

Centrally located neighborhoods you should check out are Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, Washington Square, Art Museum, Italian Market, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Society Hill and Old City. All would probably entail finding a roommate to share a 2 bedroom unless your comfortable spending $1000-$1200 a month alone.

If you want to go it alone for less dollars, check out Chestnut Hill or West Mount Airy. Both are within the city, in the upper Northwest area. They offer easy accessibility to downtown via two different regional rail trains (the R7 and the R8) with easy walks to/from around 10 different stations. SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map The only downside of course is not being more available for social outings downtown, it takes around 30 minutes to get to/from via the train.

Craigslist is actually a good source for apartment listings here, with one caveat. Avoid the property management companies that maintain/manage many of the buildings here in the city. A vast majority are horrible, with questionable maintenance and filthy apartments that they really don't mind showing you...it's quite odd. Stick to individual owners or apartment buildings that are self-managed.

Good luck and feel free to keep posting more questions, you'll receive plenty of feedback here!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
^^^I believe West Mount Airy still features decent apartments for less than $1000/month. And Chestnut Hill is a decent if laid-back place to socialize during the week. Otherwise I'd agree that $1000 might be a decent price point to look at in areas in or near downtown.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unfortunately not much of the city is considered (or is) safe.
I guess "safe" is relative so I won't argue on this, but do notice the OP said what areas are safe relative to other areas.

Much of the city is actually fairly safe, although street smarts never hurt no matter where you are and no place can be considered 100% safe. Besides that, the safest areas are Center City (between the two rivers and South St and Vine St) the Fairmount area (around the Art Museum) Bella Vista/Queen Village (between South St and Catherine St east of about 6th St) and much of South Philly, although South Philly can be more hit or miss. Refer to this map: Philadelphia County Safety Map - Google Maps

That should give you a general idea of where the no-go areas are. Essentially the hearts of North and West Philadelphia are very depressed. There is rampant abandonment associated with de-industrialization, poverty, a lot of drug dealing and all its attendant crime and violence. The other areas (green on the map) are either bellwether neighborhoods that maintained their vitality or have experienced waves of new residents who have worked to clean up the neighborhoods. Areas of interest for you may be the Northern Liberties or Fishtown.

As far as your budget is concerned: $1000 for one person will actually carry you pretty far in Philadelphia. You will probably be priced out of the Center City area, but most everyone is unless they're a doctor or a lawyer. Look for apartments in the nicer areas of South Philly, its not uncommon to find rooms there, in very good neighborhoods, for around $300-$400 a month. Fairmont, Northern Liberties, and Fishtown may all be in your price range as well, although they are more expensive and you may find yourself on the edges of these neighborhoods which may make you uncomfortable.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself here

edit: I did not mention neighborhoods on the city periphery such as Mt Airy, Germantown, any of the Northeast, or Mannyunk. I don't know a lot about these neighborhoods and other people one this board can, and it appears already have, provided plenty of good info about them.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I guess "safe" is relative so I won't argue on this, but do notice the OP said what areas are safe relative to other areas.
I agree that "safe" is relative and was pointing out the difference between actuality and perception. Perception of safety is important, especially for single females. It doesn't matter if you're in what is referred to as a "safe area" if the perception is different when walking home alone at 9pm.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 AM

507 posts, read 878,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney28 View Post

Moving from A country with a relatively honest goverment, stable currency and well-regulated banks + low crime to Philly?

Sounds like you're the one who needs counseling.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree that "safe" is relative and was pointing out the difference between actuality and perception. Perception of safety is important, especially for single females. It doesn't matter if you're in what is referred to as a "safe area" if the perception is different when walking home alone at 9pm.
And perception varies from person to person. They won't know whether or not they like it until they visit and get a feel for the area, so it doesn't hurt to look around a bit first and see what you're getting into.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
And perception varies from person to person. They won't know whether or not they like it until they visit and get a feel for the area, so it doesn't hurt to look around a bit first and see what you're getting into.

True, but reality doesn't.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
True, but reality doesn't.
You should also stop driving your car then. I assume you drive right? You've a greater chance dying from that than from walking through my neighborhood.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You should also stop driving your car then. I assume you drive right? You've a greater chance dying from that than from walking through my neighborhood.

Probaly so, but the risk involved has zero to do with adding further unnessary risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia