Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,754 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am considering moving to the Horsham area. I have a few questions that I hope you can give me advice on:

1) Does anyone live near or in the Jamestown Village Apartments, or the Dreshertowne Village apartments? If so, is this a good/safe area? What are the pros and cons? Do you have any other apartment rental suggestions, especially 3 bedroom options?

2) What are the school systems like? I have a special needs child (Aspergers) and he will require some supportive services if attendnig public school, or either a private school setting. However, he is gifted/intelligent, so the alternative school would have to accommodate his academic strenghts in Math, Science and Techology.

3) What are the aftercare programs like / or childcare programs like? Are they affordable and do you have any suggestions for aftercare or childcare services for the age range 8-13 years old?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Kind regards,

Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM

117 posts, read 588,530 times
Willow Grove is serviced by 2 school districts depending on whether you are in the Abington (Abington SD)side or the Upper Moreland (Upper Moreland SD) side. Neither of those districts serve Horsham. That would be the Hatboro-Horsham SD. I can only speak of Upper Moreland. They have before/after care services right at the schools for a charge for grades K-5, so you can use an outside provider if you want, but I've been extremely happy with both the before and after care there. I'm not sure how they support kids with Aspergers, but my son has ADHD and they are great with him.

Sorry I can't answer your other questions.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
I'm thinking that Jamestown might be one of the apartment communities on or near Commerce, Maryland, or Blair Mill Road, and if that's the case, there's a great likelihood they are in the Upper Moreland School District. The Dreshertowne one I think is located in Horsham, so that would be the Hatboro-Horsham SD.

I don't know that too many of the apartment complexes have 3 bedroom apartments. If you are having trouble finding a place you like, then maybe you can look into renting a house? I think that's the route for many when they desire 3 bedrooms. Being able to rent a house instead of having to choose from limited apartment complexes near Horsham will likely give you more options in terms of choosing the best SD for your child.

As for school districts - Upper Moreland, Hatboro-Horsham and Abington are all good.

No matter what school district you end up in, you will able to get services for your child. I would recommend that you contact the school districts to ask questions about any concerns you have. Also, in case you didn't know, PA is one of the few places (3 states, I think) that has TSS workers that really aid in giving attention to students and their advancement in both the home and the school. So no matter where you end up in whatever school district in PA, make sure you inquire about TSS. Many autistic children in the area use TSS to their advantage and the one on one attention has been beneficial to many. Since your child has Asberger's, they may not have the same need as other kids who lie in a different area on the spectrum, but I'd still suggest you inquire about it. Everything depends on the specific child.

I wish you luck on finding the best fit for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia