U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,222,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad08am View Post
You're right. I'm not going to persuade many people, but it would make me feel better if I could stop (or make them think twice) at least one person or family from moving here especially people from other parts of the country. If I was not from around here I'm not sure if I would move here but I digress. I always learned that if you are dissatisfied with a business, you tell five other people about the business and they tell five other people and so on and you hope it catches on-same with a city and county. Even if I did say not to move here, people have free will and can move wherever they want. You're are right about urban living, too. People move to suburbs to most crime, which is why I'll probably move near my family in the PA suburbs (although I don't know if I want to move near my family on the Main Line again. The area is full of wanna-be snobs and fake people as most suburbs are sadly but that's irrelevant). Philadelphia has potential but the crime issue is too important for me to ignore.
I -- and I'm sure many other people -- are really trying to understand where you're coming from, but seriously: you're FAR from the first person to ever make a note about the crime issue. Short of living under a rock, the vast majority of people understand that Philadelphia could certainly stand to see its violent crime rate drop. Thus, when someone makes a post like this -- aside from venting -- it comes off as completely pointless and redundant.

I'm sincerely not trying to have a "blame the victim" tone here, because I've noted that I've felt truly sorry for you -- but I think you're intentions are off-base because:

1.) There is no other major city that would not experience a crime like you've described in their downtown (and let's stop mentioning the suburbs, folks -- they're a completely different beast).

2.) You're wanting to "keep" people from moving to the city only hurts the city more. There is nothing wrong with Philadelphia, it's some of the people living in Philadelphia that seem to thrive on violence. You've already admitted that the city has potential. Making a post that seems to sensationalize the crime (which is actually on the decline) really works against its potential.

Sorry for the slight rant, but I'm just annoyed (by what are typically suburbanites who don't step foot in the city) about hearing about the city's crime when no one would propose any solutions or -- perish the thought -- join a task force on urban crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
FBJ

35,117 posts, read 24,335,266 times
Areas of Philly I know to stay away from

Germantown
North Philly
Kensington
Frankford
Olney

Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 AM

23,932 posts, read 20,533,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Center City can be an annoying place, it has some aggressive beggars and homosexuals, and the occasional drug dealers. I've had black guys follow me for a few blocks trying to sell me drugs (wasn't looking for them either), I think they were looking for people to rip off. Then you got the bums who hound you for a cigg or money. Last but not least is the roving hordes of black homosexuals who are always saying provocative stuff to straight guys. Those are my gripes with Center City, don't think this kind of stuff don't happen either. it does.

So......do you respond to it?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

11 posts, read 14,228 times
Well considering he didn't kill you i'd say your lucky.And if you would have just given him your money opposed to being a "hero",he wouldn't have stole the other stuff.Plus any common dunce knows that being on a dark area,in a schetchy neighborhood,and you just seem like the guy who would be wearing a suit,= mugging.The guy was probably scalling you for blocks.As many others have said on this page,no city has a 0% crime rate.Oh and once again,because you played the "hero" your lucky you weren't killed.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM

125 posts, read 122,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian08 View Post
Well considering he didn't kill you i'd say your lucky.And if you would have just given him your money opposed to being a "hero",he wouldn't have stole the other stuff.Plus any common dunce knows that being on a dark area,in a schetchy neighborhood,and you just seem like the guy who would be wearing a suit,= mugging.The guy was probably scalling you for blocks.As many others have said on this page,no city has a 0% crime rate.Oh and once again,because you played the "hero" your lucky you weren't killed.
Are you kidding me? You call refusing to give money to street-beggers "playing the hero"? That's how I read the OP's story.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM

483 posts, read 441,320 times
The word "sketchy" means vague or lacking details like a pencil sketch ex: "The details are sketchy about the incident in Center City". Sketchy ( or even worse "sketch") is repeatedly used on this message board to describe high crime neighborhoods.
May I suggest these alternatives from thesaurus.com:
alarming, bad, breakneck, chancy, critical, dangersome, deadly, delicate, dynamite, exposed, fatal, formidable, hairy*, heavy*, hot*, impending, impregnable, insecure, jeopardous, loaded, malignant, menacing, mortal, nasty, on collision course, parlous, perilous, portentous, precarious, pressing, queasy, risky, serious, serpentine, shaky, speculative, terrible, thorny, threatening, ticklish, touch-and-go, touchy, treacherous, ugly*, unhealthy, unsafe, unstable, urgent, viperous, vulnerable, wicked

Old 07-16-2010, 05:35 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,329,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
14th and Pine, huh? How long have you lived here? LOL
Hehehehe...good catch!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM

34 posts, read 54,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad08am View Post
Hey,

I just wanted to say that no area is safe in Philadelphia or "Muggadelphia" or "Killadelphia" as I like to call it now. I was in Center City last night in the Washington Square West area and in front of the bar Uncles which I was passing by a guy came up to me and demanded money after I refused he grabbed my arm and was agressive and then punched me and got the cash. He was "nice" enough to throw the wallet back at me and have my license and debit card but lost my health insurance and AAA card but I can replace them.
I went down to the police station and heard other victims stories which was devastating. I have no respect for this city anymore. I can't wait to graduate and leave this crap-hole of a city and the Delaware Valley as a whole. If anyone is thinking about moving here: DON'T EVER MOVE HERE-not even center city. Any educated person would think twice and avoid this city. As much as I wanted to like this city, it never liked me back. Most of the suburbs are ok as far as crime but stay out of Philadelphia county. I just want to deter future residents from making a bad decision even if I get negative comments, I don't care.
Just be safe.
hmmmm I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I'm glad you are ok though. Thanks for posting this. I'm looking for a place to relocate and Philly is on my list. I will make sure to take this into consideration.

Take care.
-Winter

Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 2,504,294 times
I am a former resident and Philly lover. I wouldn't go there nowadays unless I carry my gun.

It is because of the rants and dislikes of many Philadelphians that get robbed or get acousted in so called "safe areas" that I applied for a concealed weapons permit. I do carry and if someone robbed me they can have the dough but be aware there are many who carry and would never put up with getting robbed.

Most places in Philly are good at night but please be aware that everyone is not as good as they appear to be. A woman should not walk alone at night on most streets in Philly...

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 PM

40 posts, read 75,783 times
I just got home from another night out in the city and did not get mugged. That's 3,000 plus nights in areas ranging from 50th and Baltimore to 17th and Wolf to Girard and Oxford. What am I doing wrong? I'm a little guy too. A real baby faced 150 lb kid. What's the deal? Is this Muggadelphia or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia