Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM

162 posts, read 329,394 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? as soon as I sell my house!
Where are you coming from? Bethlehem Township, PA
Why are you moving? to be closer to my husband's job in Princeton/Plainsboro, NJ
Where will you be working? border of Princeton/Plainsboro NJ
Have you been here yet? NO! going to try to go this weekend.

Will you buy or rent? buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? $310-$330K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? married with 3 kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? public schools
Do you have pets? 2 dogs
Do you want or need a yard? we want one, but don't care on size!
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? a little of both

What do you want to be closest to?
Work WORK for sure!
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? similar age -- families with young kids!

Coke or Pepsi?
COKE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
I would suggest areas like Newtown or Yardley (right on 95) and closest commute however in that price range there may be limited offerings

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 AM

I looked on realtor.com and it seemed there was quite a few choices in Yardley, is this not accurate? I am so confused!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
I looked on realtor.com and it seemed there was quite a few choices in Yardley, is this not accurate? I am so confused!
It depends - there will be some options older/smaller homes etc. Also check the area specifically it could Morrisville for example. This are will also have many homes 750K plus but not all. Maybe search the general area and visit. There are also areas of Langhorne for example which could very well meet your needs and may show up under Newtown or Tardley as a heading and will be close but play on the more desirable name. But most of the areas will have some nice areas with decent options

Prufoxroach has a really good web site for the philly area - I find it better than realtor.com specific to the greater philly area

on scholls in the area most are very good, in that area Council Rock is probably a little bit above on ratings when compared to pennsbury or Neshaminy

Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Older/smaller is ok with us. We do not need/want a huge house! I have a 5 bedroom now and would love to go a lot smaller

It is so confusing to me because I don't know what towns go to what school districts lol!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,039 times
Start with Central Bucks and New Hope then Council Rock and work your way down...

Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
If a house in Yardley is under $400k, I'm guessing it is not updated much, not just older. You do better in that area with a (much) larger budget, but even over $450k gives you better options.

If you have a 5 bedroom now, do you want a 4 bedroom when you move since you have 3 kids? I'm not sure what a downsize would be from your 5 bdrm, but if you want 4 bdr, 2ba and like 2500 sqft in Yardley, then I'd definitely be checking out the house thoroughly for red flags if its priced under $400k. It may not look as good in person as it does online or may need some serious upgrades (roof, windows, no central air, etc, not just aesthetics), but that's just a guess, hopefully you will find out differently when you come this week, but I would ask those things as you were looking.

Do you have specific schooling needs for your kids, or you just want them to be in good schools in general? If just good schools, then you're fine up in that area, skip Bensalem SD and you'll be good, but it looks like you'll be sticking north of that anyway. When on the real estate sites, most will list the school district for the house location, that will help. And then you can go to greatschools.org and read up on each school district, see what others have to say and whether you like one more than another.

I agree with the other poster, I like prufoxroach's site. I like how you can look within a school district or a township especially. I also like Keller Williams' site. But I still check realtor.com, since that sometimes captures listings the others don't. I also like on realtor.com that they will list stuff like days of the listing, not sure the others have that, but they might, I haven't looked for it on the others.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,479 times
Step aside, this is my specialty!

Newtown - You won't find much in your price range except for townhouses, schools are awesome though.

Richboro/Holland - same schools as newtown, yet you WILL find things in your price range. Most will be a little outdated (houses from the 70's and 80's) but will be good size/nice yards/good schools and money well spent. Little further out from I-95 commute-wise, but not nearly as far as Doylestown area. Would be approx 10 minutes to I-95 in the morning, which is then about a 20 min commute to Princeton (so 30 min total).

Yardley - Yes you can find things under 400k in Yardley and no they won't be falling apart or super outdated, you just have to know where to look.. Two parts to Yardley - the boro, and Lower Makefield Township. The new parts of Lower Makefield will not have what you are looking for.. The boro and a few streets outside WILL have a few things for sale in your price range. Great community, great schools and super close proximity to I-95 for your commute.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Thanks for your help! I think our first preference would be Yardley due to the close proximity to NJ.

Another question, what about Langhorne? I have a few friends moving there that are highly recommending it.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,479 times
Langhorne is a very big/diverse area, some parts South are a bit more transient/small homes, then you've got the older homes in the Manor/Boro and moving North you've got bigger newer homes closer to Newtown. Overall, schools are good (previous blue ribbon winner in the elem cat) and the town is nice - I would stick to the manor/boro and north though personally based on what you've described you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia