Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,548 times

Advertisements

Southwark? May as well direct her to Liberties Township or perhaps Moyamensing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:43 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Moderator Cut

Have you ever been to Detroit, or at least in the past 3 years??
Violent Crime Detroit : 3.38 x National Average
Violent Crime Philadelphia : 2.31 x National Average
Property Crime Detroit : 1.58 x National Average
Property Crime Philadelphia : 0.95 x National Average
Unemployment Rates (BLS.GOV - 6/30/2010
Detroit: 13.7%
Philadelphia: 9.4%, which is Less than: Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, Atlanta,
Charlotte - and most of California and close to NYC.
So wow, we're only 2.3 times the national average in violent crime versus 3.3 times. That's great!!!

FYI...the BLS numbers don't tell this fact. The "Philadelphia job market" encompasses the city of Philadelphia itself which is 135 square miles and the "metro area" is over 400 square miles. 65% of the available jobs in "Philadelphia" are 10 or more miles from the city center. Meaning the actual city of Philadelphia has just 35% of the available jobs in the metro region. Philadelphia ranks third (behind NYC and Chicago) in terms of number of residents who utilize public transit. So, if 65% of the jobs are 10 or more miles from the city center, we're looking at an average commute of one to two hours each way since most SEPTA routes to the suburbs originate in Center City. That's kind of a detrimental factor. So, if someone is planning a move to "Philadelphia", it's worth noting there aren't many jobs in "Philadelphia".

Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So wow, we're only 2.3 times the national average in violent crime versus 3.3 times. That's great!!!

FYI...the BLS numbers don't tell this fact. The "Philadelphia job market" encompasses the city of Philadelphia itself which is 135 square miles and the "metro area" is over 400 square miles. 65% of the available jobs in "Philadelphia" are 10 or more miles from the city center. Meaning the actual city of Philadelphia has just 35% of the available jobs in the metro region. Philadelphia ranks third (behind NYC and Chicago) in terms of number of residents who utilize public transit. So, if 65% of the jobs are 10 or more miles from the city center, we're looking at an average commute of one to two hours each way since most SEPTA routes to the suburbs originate in Center City. That's kind of a detrimental factor. So, if someone is planning a move to "Philadelphia", it's worth noting there aren't many jobs in "Philadelphia".
These are interesting numbers, but your calculations are a bit off. "65% of the available jobs in Philadelphia being 10 or more miles from the city center" means just that. It doesn't mean that only 35% of the available jobs are in the city of Philadelphia. Philly is bigger than 10 miles.

Also, assuming a commute of 1 to 2 hours each way, is assuming a lot. One hour not as much, but 2 is. And taking Septa into account, commutes for many are less than 45 minutes one way in from where they are when talking about trains. Trains don't originate in CC for the most part, they originate at the beginning or end of their lines and go from there. Not to mention, that when talking about Septa statistics and use of public transportation, buses are a huge consideration and those certainly don't originate in CC or even run through it in many cases.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
These are interesting numbers, but your calculations are a bit off. "65% of the available jobs in Philadelphia being 10 or more miles from the city center" means just that. It doesn't mean that only 35% of the available jobs are in the city of Philadelphia. Philly is bigger than 10 miles.

Also, assuming a commute of 1 to 2 hours each way, is assuming a lot. One hour not as much, but 2 is. And taking Septa into account, commutes for many are less than 45 minutes one way in from where they are when talking about trains. Trains don't originate in CC for the most part, they originate at the beginning or end of their lines and go from there. Not to mention, that when talking about Septa statistics and use of public transportation, buses are a huge consideration and those certainly don't originate in CC or even run through it in many cases.
They're not that off. If one was to live in Central Philadelphia (Center City and surrounding neighborhoods), ten miles from there is significant without a car. The commute time is not assuming a lot, I used to work in Ardmore and to commute via SEPTA from Center City would take me a bit over an hour. By the way, the options for boarding Regional Rail are all in Center City or points further out which all nonetheless loop through the Center City stations. If I were to work in King of Prussia or areas near there, it would take an hour and a half, two hours if the traffic on the Schuykill Expressway is clogged which it is almost always is. Lastly, buses are the only form of public transportation available to King Of Prussia (the economic center of the region) from Center City, where by the way both bus routes in that direction originate from.

Clearly you're not dependent on public transportation and should probably refrain from being so adamant of your facts without the appropriate experience.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They're not that off. If one was to live in Central Philadelphia (Center City and surrounding neighborhoods), ten miles from there is significant without a car. The commute time is not assuming a lot, I used to work in Ardmore and to commute via SEPTA from Center City would take me a bit over an hour. By the way, the options for boarding Regional Rail are all in Center City or points further out which all nonetheless loop through the Center City stations. If I were to work in King of Prussia or areas near there, it would take an hour and a half, two hours if the traffic on the Schuykill Expressway is clogged which it is almost always is. Lastly, buses are the only form of public transportation available to King Of Prussia (the economic center of the region) from Center City, where by the way both bus routes in that direction originate from.

Clearly you're not dependent on public transportation and should probably refrain from being so adamant of your facts without the appropriate experience.
Actually I'm quite familiar with public transportation in the area but definitely question your general knowledge of the Philly area with your comments. You make it seem like a train leaves Ardmore, gets to CC and loops back around twice before letting off. Trains STOP in CC, they don't necessarily start there, end of the lines are almost exclusively out of the city. And I don't know what R5 you were taking and when, but the trip from CC to Ardmore is less than 45 minutes.

And I'm not sure when King of Prussia became the economic center of the region, but I would guess quite a few people who are on this forum would disagree with that comment. And KoP has a couple of Septa routes, hardly indicative of the commute time for the entire Septa bus riding population.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM

81 posts, read 229,803 times
OP - I suggest you visit the area for about a week to see differences in location, pricing, commutes. To get all of what you want for that price will not be at that price unless you want to live in one of the other suburb towns to be able to have access to all those things.
Also - if you are planning on going to college here that would be an issue to consider depending on the location

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 9,810 times
I don't know why you would choose to move to Philly. Ive lived in the city for 7 years and lived in the Phila suburbs for another 5 and am looking to move away! Good luck to you, but honestly there are better places out there.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm quite familiar with public transportation in the area but definitely question your general knowledge of the Philly area with your comments. You make it seem like a train leaves Ardmore, gets to CC and loops back around twice before letting off. Trains STOP in CC, they don't necessarily start there, end of the lines are almost exclusively out of the city. And I don't know what R5 you were taking and when, but the trip from CC to Ardmore is less than 45 minutes.
OK, let me spell it out for you.

I live in Fishtown, I have to commute to Center City via bus, then the Market Frankford Line to Market East. From there I would have to catch a Regional Rail train (R5) to go to Ardmore. So, lets add the time...It takes 30 minutes from the time I catch the bus to the time I get off at Market East. The R5 train takes 25 minutes from Market East to Ardmore. 30 minutes +25 minutes = 55 minutes best case scenario, usually an hour and fifteen minutes.

The point I was unsuccessfully trying to make with you is, if one were working in the areas where employment was more likely to happen in this area right now...which is west/northwest of the city....and if one were living say in Center City or surrounding neighborhoods...one has to catch a Regional Rail train or bus or subway to Center City before one could go that direction... because one can't go that direction directly...

Did that make it through?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
And I'm not sure when King of Prussia became the economic center of the region, but I would guess quite a few people who are on this forum would disagree with that comment.
Oh really. Unless you're working in the parallel universe known as the Philadelphia Mayor's Office I'm not sure where one could suggest otherwise. Please, feel free to reel off a long list of of corporations/firms with facilities within the city limits of Philadelphia. Oh wait, better yet the names of corporations residing in Philadelphia that aren't on a hiring freeze or downsized/downsizing. In terms of KOP being the economic jobs center of the region, maybe not. But it sure isn't the city of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Unemployment Project

Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Southwark? May as well direct her to Liberties Township or perhaps Moyamensing.

Meant Pennsport - not quite sure where that came from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia