Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 40,014 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Philadelphia in about 6 months; going to start a graduate program at Philadelphia University in East Falls.

I've never been to Philadelphia; I'm looking for people's honest opinions of and descriptions of certain neighborhoods where I'm thinking of buying a house. Real estate agents are hesitant to speak candidly, since they want to sell me a house, so I'm reaching out on this forum to gain info.

Please tell me what you think of any of these neighborhoods:
1) Chestnut Hill
2) Germantown
3) East Falls
4) Oak Lane/Olney area
5) Elkins Park
6) Fox Chase
7) Bustleton
8) Wyncote
9) Mt. Airy
10) Somerton

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the info. you share!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 40,014 times
After seeing a great list of questions on this site, that help get the conversation started, I decided to answer some of them in hopes that someone replies :-).

I'm from San Diego, CA
I'll be moving to Philly in July or August
I'd like to be within a 15-minute drive of Phila U, which is in East Falls (since I'll be going there daily for school)
I'm in my 30s, and I'd like to live in a neighborhood that has young people, although that's not a requirement for me!
I prefer a quiet residential area, not a loud and busy urban area
I'm looking for a detached home with a yard because I like to garden and do DIY home projects (I prefer old homes, not new ones)
I'm used to a long commute (because living in So Cal most of my life, we drive a LOT each day), so I'm not deterred by distance, although I've never commuted in snow before, so.....
Besides that, I guess all else I'd like to find nearby by future home would be churches, grocery stores, coffee shops, and basic stores like a hardware store or place for essentials. If I want entertainment, I'll go into center city for that. I don't need to live in a fast-paced place.
Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,678,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snflrgl76 View Post
I'm moving to Philadelphia in about 6 months; going to start a graduate program at Philadelphia University in East Falls.

I've never been to Philadelphia; I'm looking for people's honest opinions of and descriptions of certain neighborhoods where I'm thinking of buying a house. Real estate agents are hesitant to speak candidly, since they want to sell me a house, so I'm reaching out on this forum to gain info.

1) Chestnut Hill
2) Germantown
3) East Falls
4) Oak Lane/Olney area
5) Elkins Park
6) Fox Chase
7) Bustleton
8) Wyncote
9) Mt. Airy
10) Somerton

I'd cross Somerton and Bustleton off the list, not because they are bad areas but the commute down Route 1 can be a pain. Parts of Oak Lane are ok, but there are pretty wide swaths of Olney you'd probably want to avoid. Elkins Park and Wyncote are outside the city, not a terrible commute but very high real estate taxes in that township. Germantown is very close, but be sure to stay to the west of Germantown Ave. and probably stay above Coulter St. Fox Chase, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy and East Falls are all good neighborhoods. Depending on your budget, it might be more realistic to find a rowhouse or twin with a yard than a single, otherwise they fit your criteria. Chestnut Hill would be most expensive by far. The one neighborhood you should also look into is Roxborough (19128), which might be the best fit.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,634,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snflrgl76 View Post

1) Chestnut Hill
2) Germantown
3) East Falls
4) Oak Lane/Olney area
5) Elkins Park
6) Fox Chase
7) Bustleton
8) Wyncote
9) Mt. Airy
10) Somerton

My opinions on these areas.

1) Chestnut Hill- one of the best areas of the city and also where most of the "Wealthy" People live inside of the city limits outside of Center City. A lot of houses in this area will be very very very pricey, I'm talking in the millions. But some houses can be a couple hundred thousand. I'm not sure if there are any condo or apartments in this area. I'm sure there are plenty and I am sure there are also cheaper places to live in Chestnut Hill. The area mostly has a small PA town feel even though it is inside the city limits, it's great! The part of Germantown Ave that runs right through Chestnut Hill is Chestnut Hill's main Street (It's a great place and is always very active). A new Brewery (Iron Hill) is actually under construction here. If you have the money for it, look no place else, because there is no place better than Chestnut Hill.

2) Germantown- Okay. Middle class African American neighborhood for the most part, a lot of students and young professionals are moving in too. Once you get closer to North Philadelphia then the area gets a little shady. This area is filled with Students from both La Salle and Philly U. It is being gentrified currently and has a lot of interest from Philadelphia developers, but it is still an "Up and Coming" area of the city and not the "it" place quite yet.

3) East Falls- An amazing area. A lot to do, middle class neighborhood. This neighborhood is seeing a lot of development recently. This area also has a decent amount of students from Philly U. Again. the edges of East Falls going towards the Allegheny neighborhood in North Philadelphia can get a little shady, but overall this neighborhood might be perfect for you (Philly U is in East Falls).

4) Oak Lane/East Oak Lane is not bad. It is a decent neighborhood but it is nothing special, mainly just residential. West Oak Lane has it's problems certainly, but then again not a terrible area. Again nothing interesting however. Olney has the most problems out of the three and some crime. It's not terrible but I would tell you to avoid this neighborhood.

5) Elkins Park- this is outside of the city in the suburbs. It's not a bad neighborhood at all. Certainly still very dense and city like. I can't tell you much else about Elkins Park however. If you want to live in the suburbs and not the city and don't mind a commute then go for it. The city is better IMO though

6) Fox Chase- Amazing neighborhood in the Northeast, in fact one of the best in the North East. I don't think the commute would be worth it however. If you don't mind the commute then go for it.

7) Bustleton- another great neighborhood in the Northeast. Once again, if you don't mind the commute go for it. Route 1 (Roosevelt blvd can get pretty jam packed however).

8) Wyncote- Again in the suburbs. A pretty nice place. Jenkintown is a great place as well. If you don't mind living in the suburbs and don't mind the commute then once again. go for it,

9) Mt. Airy- there are two Mt. Airy's. West Mt. Airy/Morton and East Mt. Airy. West Mt. Airy/Morton are both great neighborhoods but houses can get a little pricey. East Mt. Airy has a few problems here and there but overall not a bad place. Housing here will be a little cheaper. All three of these neighborhoods are close to Philly U.

10) Somerton- again a great area of the Northeast part of the city but it is VERY far and the commute would not be fun at all.

Another area I should suggest to you is Manayunk. Manayunk is one of the best places in Philadelphia. Great affordable places to live, filled with students and grads and young professionals. Tons of new places being built with gorgeous interiors. Main Street Manayunk is one of the best bar scenes in the city outside of Center City and is packed on the weekends. It's a great place to be.

Now that I exhausted all the possible information I have for you,

Hope this helped

Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM

172 posts, read 840,482 times
Chestnut Hill is a great place, and Iron Hill Brewery is decent. Although Germantown Avenue, which hosts the majority of the retail in Chestnut Hill, lacks variety in selection and really anything of excellence for that matter.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM

212 posts, read 608,898 times
If you are only coming for school and then leaving the area - rent. If you think you might stay or can envision your purchase becoming a rental property - maybe buy. I would not buy unless you can keep the house a minimum of 5 years.

What's your budget/size etc.? Makes a bit a difference in purchase considerations in a specific area.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM

566 posts, read 956,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

5) Elkins Park- this is outside of the city in the suburbs. It's not a bad neighborhood at all. Certainly still very dense and city like. I can't tell you much else about Elkins Park however. If you want to live in the suburbs and not the city and don't mind a commute then go for it. The city is better IMO though

6) Fox Chase- Amazing neighborhood in the Northeast, in fact one of the best in the North East. I don't think the commute would be worth it however. If you don't mind the commute then go for it.
How on Earth is Fox Chase "amazing" while Elkins Park is seemingly, in your opinion, just okay? If anything, Elkins Park is the better, more desired area.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,873,580 times
3) East Falls

One of the best situated neighborhoods in the Philly Metro area IMO. Kelly Drive/MLK Drive terminate in East Falls and RT 1 and 76 also run through the neighborhood. Fairmount Park is easily accessible as are Center City, City Ave, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill.
Ridge Avenue and the streets closer to the Schuykill River are filled with mostly row homes while the streets become more suburban and houses much larger the closer to Henry Ave/Germantown you get. A really beautiful neighborhood and you would be as close as you can get to Philly U. It is a relatively young neighborhood and also quiet. Also, Germantown has similar areas that border East Falls but it is very "block-by-block".

Finally, look into Wissahickon, which is hidden between Manayunk and East Falls off Henry Ave. It is quiet, excellent park access and very young. Mananyunk would also be within walking distance.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-09-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,474,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
3) East Falls

One of the best situated neighborhoods in the Philly Metro area IMO. Kelly Drive/MLK Drive terminate in East Falls and RT 1 and 76 also run through the neighborhood. Fairmount Park is easily accessible as are Center City, City Ave, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill.
Ridge Avenue and the streets closer to the Schuykill River are filled with mostly row homes while the streets become more suburban and houses much larger the closer to Henry Ave/Germantown you get. A really beautiful neighborhood and you would be as close as you can get to Philly U. It is a relatively young neighborhood and also quiet. Also, Germantown has similar areas that border East Falls but it is very "block-by-block".

Finally, look into Wissahickon, which is hidden between Manayunk and East Falls off Henry Ave. It is quiet, excellent park access and very young. Mananyunk would also be within walking distance.
Does East Falls have any kind of a downtown/retail area?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,873,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Does East Falls have any kind of a downtown/retail area?
There are a few good bars and restaurants on ridge and midvale aves with take out food, gas stations, a playground/bball court and a liquor store but Manayunk is right up ridge ave which is much more of a downtown feel. East falls is very residential save for ridge and midvale aves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia