U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Does Philadelphia have a unique accent, movie characters with accent, Rocky Balboa, depressing landscapes as portrayed in movies, Sixth Sense, pristine suburbs, historical towns

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
 
Location: DC Suburbs of Maryland (by way of PA)
2,837 posts, read 4,047,098 times
Reputation: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Maybe its not something you'll understand how people off the East Coast are friendlier and more family-oriented and have better values and are less greedy and materialistic.
Greed and materialism definitely don't descriminate by location, and what you say about families and friendliness couldn't be further from the truth. Families couldn't be stronger here, as lineage is VERY deep-rooted, inter-connected, and long-standing in this part of the country. Also, friendliness is extremely relative, and I feel as though East-Coasters are the most authentic in terms of attitude. I'd much rather someone act their true self than the facade of "friendliness" and "community" that you often find in the Sun Belt or out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Cary, North Carolina
42 posts, read 144,195 times
Reputation: 40
I have lived in Philadelphia, and I think that most of the city is a sprawling, beautiful, clean, and urban place. The only part of the city I would not recommend moving to would be West Philadelphia. That is the kind of place you were talking about, with run-down buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 PM
 
166 posts, read 259,667 times
Reputation: 103
What I don't understand is that if your intent is genuinely asking for advice about the city, which is NOT obvious from the tenor of your original post and you live in the Baltimore area, why on earth are you not jumping on a train for the 1 hour trip and deciding for yourself whether Philadelphia "has a very depressing and hopeless feel to it". As far as weather, if you actually believe there is a noticeable difference between 2 cities 100 miles apart at nearly the same elevation, maybe Dental School is a bit of a stretch. I always have strong suspicions when someone starts a thread with unsupportable negative observations (other than 2 imaginary/fictional Hollywood flicks) and solicits comments in an attempt to stimulate a defensive environment of adversarial responses. Since if appears your life actions are significantly influenced by what you see in movies, suggest move to LA - you'll love the reality and sincerity of Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM
 
54 posts, read 159,643 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flute View Post
I have lived in Philadelphia, and I think that most of the city is a sprawling, beautiful, clean, and urban place. The only part of the city I would not recommend moving to would be West Philadelphia. That is the kind of place you were talking about, with run-down buildings.

I live in West Philly and I wouldn't call it depressing by any streach of the imagination. Most of us here are pretty excited to live here. It is cheaper than most parts of the city, there is Clark Park, having Penn and Drexel provides excitment, easy SEPTA access, and there is almost a small town feel where you know your neighbors or at least. Most neighborhoods in West Philly are like the thriving urban neighborhoods described by Jane Jacobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Philadelphia
146 posts, read 258,245 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Greed and materialism definitely don't descriminate by location, and what you say about families and friendliness couldn't be further from the truth. Families couldn't be stronger here, as lineage is VERY deep-rooted, inter-connected, and long-standing in this part of the country. Also, friendliness is extremely relative, and I feel as though East-Coasters are the most authentic in terms of attitude. I'd much rather someone act their true self than the facade of "friendliness" and "community" that you often find in the Sun Belt or out West.
And I believe that the divorce rate in Northeastern states is far below that of all other regions of the country. Totally agree with your take on the lazy Northeasterners-aren't-friendly assessment we hear so much. So trite, boring, stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
 
54 posts, read 159,643 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
How do people from the PHiladelphia area feel about living there. Is it one of those areas where most people are desperate to move to the Sunbelt? How much more unbearable are the winters compared to DC and Baltimore? Is there a lot of snowfall and very little sunshine? It is less snobby or elist compared to further northeast like Boston or NY?
As a Philadelphian, who has been living here for almost 3 years here is my opinion. One, moving to Philly is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. And I am not the only person to actually believe that. I know some people who have a desire to live in the Sunbelt, but they tend to want to move for personal reasons not because they hate Philly. I also know alot of people who have moved from the Sunbelt. If you like Philly then you really don't want to move to Phoenix or Atlanta, because they are too sprawled out. I personally don't want to live in the Sunbelt, I just don't see the logic in having to drive 20 minutes to get a gallon of milk.

Two, the winters in Philly are not as unbearable as the summers in Philly. Baltimore and Philly are not far apart and are on the same elevation and close to the ocean. You don't need to work for the Weather Channel that the two cities will have similar climates. I think Philly handled the last snow storm pretty well. When it comes to snow, it is better to be further north, because in the north people are better prepared for the snow.

Three, I get annoyed how those so-called "real Americans" think they're some how less elitist or more friendlier than those of us who live in the big bad city. Just because we don't bake a pie for a new neighbor or say "hi" to everyone on the street does not make us snobby or rude. We show our friendliness in other ways. We won't bake cookies for you but we will help you navigate SEPTA. If you need help moving a couch, your neighbor will help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM
 
10,260 posts, read 16,294,548 times
Reputation: 4806
Anyone notice that this thread is from June 2007?
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Warminster, PA soon to be in SC, then to FL
52 posts, read 26,222 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed a lot the characters in the new Rocky movie had a lot of unique accents. Its not the stereotypical Italian American accents from the Godfather or other films about the New York Mafia. Its also not an actually Italian accent nor does it sound like a New YOrk or Boston accent.

Does Philadelphia have a unique accent? Did the actors just try to talk with an accent and screw up? I know Sylvestor Stallone sounds like that in all his movies but the other characters?

Also, I know better than to believe Hollywood but every movie that's set in Philly, especially Rocky Balboa and the early Rocky films, shows the city as having an utterly depressing landscape, falling apart and filled with poverty and hopelessness. Sixth Sense and 12 Monkeys are other examples of this. Is there any accuracy to this? Is Philadelphia region one of those areas where the majority of people live in run-down, crime-ridden hopeless neighborhood while a wealthy elite lives in gated communities?

This is important to me cause I'm applying to pharmacy and/or dental school and I'm looking at some schools in the area as possibilities. Once again I don't always believe Hollywood but Rocky is supposed to be a "tribute" to Philadelphia and the whole city has a very depressing and hopeless feel to it. Also the director of the Sixth Sense, Night something...he's from the area and his version of Philly is pretty bleak. How do people from the PHiladelphia area feel about living there. Is it one of those areas where most people are desperate to move to the Sunbelt? How much more unbearable are the winters compared to DC and Baltimore? Is there a lot of snowfall and very little sunshine? It is less snobby or elist compared to further northeast like Boston or NY?
Philly is a mecca for good medical care, higher education and cultural things. That said, Philly IS as depressing and dismal as depicted. I have lived in this area most of my life. Winters are cold, raw and often snowy. I don't know about comparing philly to NY or Boston. I have found it very unfriendly. Most of the city is poor, except for certain sections of downtown and there are nice condo buildings here and there. One block can be nice, the next full of poverty. I hate Philly more and more as time passes. I am now retired and am trying to sell my house and move South or West, which should be nirvana by comparison. I do hate leaving the medical care I've had, which has been first rate.

There is an accent here, similar to nearby South and Central NJ (I can't tell the difference). It's similar to NY except the R's are not dropped.

If you're coming to Philly just for school, it could be a very good choice, but if I were going to school here, my life would revolved basically around the school and around the downtown area -- and I would have to put up with the cold and unfriendliness from "the person on the street". I don't know about snobby but I do know it's aloof and very hard to make friends here. Again, school is a subculture which can be very different from the area in general. Good luck and let us know what you decide. I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Warminster, PA soon to be in SC, then to FL
52 posts, read 26,222 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep77 View Post
As a Philadelphian, who has been living here for almost 3 years here is my opinion. One, moving to Philly is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. And I am not the only person to actually believe that. I know some people who have a desire to live in the Sunbelt, but they tend to want to move for personal reasons not because they hate Philly. I also know alot of people who have moved from the Sunbelt. If you like Philly then you really don't want to move to Phoenix or Atlanta, because they are too sprawled out. I personally don't want to live in the Sunbelt, I just don't see the logic in having to drive 20 minutes to get a gallon of milk.

Two, the winters in Philly are not as unbearable as the summers in Philly. Baltimore and Philly are not far apart and are on the same elevation and close to the ocean. You don't need to work for the Weather Channel that the two cities will have similar climates. I think Philly handled the last snow storm pretty well. When it comes to snow, it is better to be further north, because in the north people are better prepared for the snow.

Three, I get annoyed how those so-called "real Americans" think they're some how less elitist or more friendlier than those of us who live in the big bad city. Just because we don't bake a pie for a new neighbor or say "hi" to everyone on the street does not make us snobby or rude. We show our friendliness in other ways. We won't bake cookies for you but we will help you navigate SEPTA. If you need help moving a couch, your neighbor will help you.
I have many areas to choose from in the sunbelt and many areas will be close to conveniences.
For me, the summer is much better than winter. That's because I'm cold sensitive and would rather be a little too warm than a little too cold. Yes people will help you if you need it. However, I have not been able to make friends with ANY neighbors here in the suburb of Warminster. One older lady tried to befriend me at a political party meeting. I found that to be unusual but it's also easier to make friends with older people than younger ones. I find it clannish and clique-ish here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Warminster, PA soon to be in SC, then to FL
52 posts, read 26,222 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep77 View Post
I live in West Philly and I wouldn't call it depressing by any streach of the imagination. Most of us here are pretty excited to live here. It is cheaper than most parts of the city, there is Clark Park, having Penn and Drexel provides excitment, easy SEPTA access, and there is almost a small town feel where you know your neighbors or at least. Most neighborhoods in West Philly are like the thriving urban neighborhoods described by Jane Jacobs.
Families are strong here, IF you're here with your family. I think it's because Philly and PA generally are conservative. West Philly does seem exciting but I don't know how you use Septa in a wheelchair. Also, getting around there alone or in a small group at night can't be safe. I think you really need a "wolfpack" for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top