Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Does Philadelphia have a unique accent, movie characters with accent, Rocky Balboa, depressing landscapes as portrayed in movies, Sixth Sense, pristine suburbs, historical towns

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM

106 posts, read 139,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
What I don't understand is that if your intent is genuinely asking for advice about the city, which is NOT obvious from the tenor of your original post and you live in the Baltimore area, why on earth are you not jumping on a train for the 1 hour trip and deciding for yourself whether Philadelphia "has a very depressing and hopeless feel to it". As far as weather, if you actually believe there is a noticeable difference between 2 cities 100 miles apart at nearly the same elevation, maybe Dental School is a bit of a stretch. I always have strong suspicions when someone starts a thread with unsupportable negative observations (other than 2 imaginary/fictional Hollywood flicks) and solicits comments in an attempt to stimulate a defensive environment of adversarial responses. Since if appears your life actions are significantly influenced by what you see in movies, suggest move to LA - you'll love the reality and sincerity of Hollywood.
From what I remember, the thread originator wanted to know IF what those movies depict is true. When I see three movies depict something, I tend to believe it if movies set in other areas accurately reflect those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
From what I remember, the thread originator wanted to know IF what those movies depict is true. When I see three movies depict something, I tend to believe it if movies set in other areas accurately reflect those areas.
You remember this thread from 6 years ago? Impressive!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
There are posts from 2010.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are posts from 2010.
The OP was 06-24-2007, 10:22 PM.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 AM

268 posts, read 371,630 times
I was watching the news (from Cincy) and they showed a street shot of a Philly with the snow - didn't look depressing to me. It looked nice and homey!

Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep77 View Post
most neighborhoods in west philly are like the thriving urban neighborhoods described by jane jacobs.
lol.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM

182 posts, read 377,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed a lot the characters in the new Rocky movie had a lot of unique accents. Its not the stereotypical Italian American accents from the Godfather or other films about the New York Mafia. Its also not an actually Italian accent nor does it sound like a New YOrk or Boston accent.

Does Philadelphia have a unique accent? Did the actors just try to talk with an accent and screw up? I know Sylvestor Stallone sounds like that in all his movies but the other characters?

Also, I know better than to believe Hollywood but every movie that's set in Philly, especially Rocky Balboa and the early Rocky films, shows the city as having an utterly depressing landscape, falling apart and filled with poverty and hopelessness. Sixth Sense and 12 Monkeys are other examples of this. Is there any accuracy to this? Is Philadelphia region one of those areas where the majority of people live in run-down, crime-ridden hopeless neighborhood while a wealthy elite lives in gated communities?

This is important to me cause I'm applying to pharmacy and/or dental school and I'm looking at some schools in the area as possibilities. Once again I don't always believe Hollywood but Rocky is supposed to be a "tribute" to Philadelphia and the whole city has a very depressing and hopeless feel to it. Also the director of the Sixth Sense, Night something...he's from the area and his version of Philly is pretty bleak. How do people from the PHiladelphia area feel about living there. Is it one of those areas where most people are desperate to move to the Sunbelt? How much more unbearable are the winters compared to DC and Baltimore? Is there a lot of snowfall and very little sunshine? It is less snobby or elist compared to further northeast like Boston or NY?
Philly is a fairly friendly city to move in. There are some areas where poverty rums rampant and there is a lot of crime, but when you learn how to avoid those areas this city becomes a very great place to live. One thing this city has taught me is that you can't let your environment and others get to you. Just live your life and let the low lives who try and bring you down eat some salt. My suggestion is to try and move as close to Center City as you possibly can, if not, Chestnut Hill or the surrounding suburbs if you're worried about crime. There are "elitist" here who think they're something and might attempt to insult you, but just be strong and give them a nasty look, and they'll go find someone else to talk about.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM

284 posts, read 641,389 times
yes. philly is depessing to look at and needs a major facelift. ive made a thread on this before actually.
why are philly neighborhoods so ugly??

Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
This dude (The OP) should be ready to start his own practice by NOW...7 yeeeears...7 yeeears...7 yeeeears! Muah-Haah Haaa!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Greed and materialism definitely don't descriminate by location, and what you say about families and friendliness couldn't be further from the truth. Families couldn't be stronger here, as lineage is VERY deep-rooted, inter-connected, and long-standing in this part of the country. Also, friendliness is extremely relative, and I feel as though East-Coasters are the most authentic in terms of attitude. I'd much rather someone act their true self than the facade of "friendliness" and "community" that you often find in the Sun Belt or out West.
So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia