Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Does Philadelphia have a unique accent, movie characters with accent, Rocky Balboa, depressing landscapes as portrayed in movies, Sixth Sense, pristine suburbs, historical towns

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I planned to move on. Then saw that new thread appear, I knew there were drawbacks of tight Rows, and you can't right off their beef? You get bad neighbors you are a bit screwed. If you have advice for the guy? Post in his thread.

And.....Yes I get it.....But new ones are called Townhouses. Some Big Midwestern cities that did not do a lot of Rows. Have some new TOWNHOUSES built in their Downtowns. They are generally High-End. Designed to maximize light with yards and circle, with what amounts to a private Park for their residents. This same city uses now basic townhouses for low-income housing also. Developers can put more residences in a new development connecting Ranch styles even, increasing their profits to get extra homes in. I am sure Philly also has new High-End Rows that offer extras.

My dislike was especially? Yes....tight walled Rows on alley, and smaller, size streets, entryways in back and not much in the way of even a yard? But I did not create the thread on someone's opinion on seeing Philly. I did not create the thread I gave the name of here......of a Philadelphian, having issues of living in Rows, when un-respectful neighbors live next door.

Different cities chose different styles and street grids and whether to make front tree and green frontage space standard and full alley systems that were not for housing and could maintain density.
Luckily this thread was posted ONLY in the Philly section. Not the general US one.

Yes I am done.... unless I just have to.... reply to some comment!
You got really fired up here. When I was young, I lived in a double block (duplex, twin) with a postage stamp sized back yard. It was OK when I was quite young, but I quickly outgrew it. My friends and I biked, walked and took buses all over the small city. My parents bought that house after WWII, and the neighborhood deteriorated around us--and a few others. Some of the worst thinks I have ever seen in my life happened in that slum neighborhood when I was a kid. Not really, but in a way, I'm glad... I don't have to learn about those things now. In the ensuing years, I've lived in an apartment complex and two town homes, though I've mostly live in single family homes. The mere thought of living in a box or sharing walls scares the hell out of me even though I've done it many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Yes, there is plenty of blight in the city, and being from there you should know some history as to why. You should also know that though there are pockets of significant wealth in the city, much of the region's wealth is in the burbs. You should also know that there are good jobs in Center City and the burbs.

Regardless, though, your above sentence is absurd, although considering you don't know much about the Philadelphia region, it doesn't surprise me that you don't know much about other regions, either.
Change my sentence to "Buying a home for under a hundred thousand is unheard of in other major cities, but it's easy to do in Philly." I was comparing Philly to other major cities, not the suburbs.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:15 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Change my sentence to "Buying a home for under a hundred thousand is unheard of in other major cities, but it's easy to do in Philly." I was comparing Philly to other major cities, not the suburbs.
Maybe against SF, Seattle, maybe LA? But not for other big cities. Why.... because they all have less desirable neighborhoods, where home prices plummet? Also generally certain racial mix in neighborhoods? Have also much cheaper housing prices. Of course the same house in the right sought after neighborhood, will be much higher priced.

Example Chicago ..

East Garfield Park, Chicago just west of the Bulls United Center moderate + crime neighborhood. Like North Philly on gentrification edge.
OMG A RARE CHICAGO OLD PLAIN ROW HOME non-Victorian

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/26.../home/13258374 $40,000 Attached Row Built 1885 14 years after the Chicago Fire

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/36.../home/13256619 $46,000 Lovely old Chicago white GREYSTONE built 1899 Chicago bank-owned

Pilsen/Lower West side, Chicago Mexican neighborhood beginning gentrification

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/26.../home/14149665 $77,000 Brick 2-story single built 1895

Lawndale, Chicago

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/14.../home/13234772 $34,900 Another VERY Lovely Greystone Large single built 1910 These in some neighborhoods like Wrigleyville go for up to 1 million Dollars

West Garfield Park, Chicago

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/80.../home/13254744 $42,000 Bungalow, built 1918. Other neighborhoods, over $100,000

Englewood high crime neighborhood compatible to many North Philly neighborhoods

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/74.../home/13913092 $57,000 built 1970 typical 60s era bungalow-Ranch w/2-car garage, alleyway and garage there. In another neighborhood... could be over $100,000 to over $300,000.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/7229-S-May-St-60621/home/13915541 $27,000 built 1905 Common Chicago Cottage/Cape Cod. Again same in other neighborhoods $100,000 to over $200,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia