Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 AM

11 posts, read 56,007 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Philadelphia from Central Massachusetts. We will be renting at first, then looking to buy a multi-family income property in the outskirts of the city.

Where are city wage taxes charged?

How much is the city wage tax in different places?

Are there township wage taxes?

Who is charged a wage tax? (people living in the city/township or people working in the city, or both?)

Is there any government website to find detailed information?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 AM

27,180 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna416 View Post
I'm moving to Philadelphia from Central Massachusetts. We will be renting at first, then looking to buy a multi-family income property in the outskirts of the city.

Where are city wage taxes charged?

How much is the city wage tax in different places?

Are there township wage taxes?

Who is charged a wage tax? (people living in the city/township or people working in the city, or both?)

Is there any government website to find detailed information?

Thank you!
Here is a link to the city's website with the rate differences.
City of Philadelphia | Revenue Department

If you both live and work outside the city you avoid the wage tax (which is 100% non-refundable).

Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,794 times
My sister lives in Havertown, PA (outside the city) and works in CenterCity. She pays a city wage tax of 4.3% on her earnings from her job. Its my understanding anyone who earns their money within city limits is subject to the wage tax.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 AM

149 posts, read 445,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
My sister lives in Havertown, PA (outside the city) and works in CenterCity. She pays a city wage tax of 4.3% on her earnings from her job. Its my understanding anyone who earns their money within city limits is subject to the wage tax.
If she lives outside but works in the city she pays 3.5%, not 4.3%.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
If she lives outside but works in the city she pays 3.5%, not 4.3%.
it used to be 4.3% though, now I think even the resident wage tax is 3.9%...still too high, but lower than it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia