Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM

254 posts, read 809,837 times

Advertisements

I have a really good job opportunity in Marcus Hook. I live in Skippack and was thinking of getting on the Blue Route in Plymouth Meeting. I drive an hour for work now so I am used to a fairly long commute. I hear nightmare stories about the Blue Route. Is there anyway I should consider this job or is it just crazy traffic that I will kick myself everytime I get in the car. Any alterantive routes would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:41 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Oh dear....I can't imagine driving from Skippack to Marcus Hook every day at rush hour. I used to live in Skippack and my commute to Malvern was at least 45 mins. every day, and that's nowhere near as far as Marcus Hook.

So realistically, Mapquest says it's 42 mi. and 54 mins. That's certainly not taking into account rush-hour traffic. It'll probably take you 10-15 mins. just to get to the NE Extension (476 S), then another 20-30 mins. to get through the tolls to the Blue Route, then Lord knows how long to drive down the entire length of the Blue Route. I'm thinking 90 mins. total one-way for the whole trip.

However, I can't think of any alternatives that wouldn't be a back-road hassle. But if the job's worth it financially, perhaps you should consider it....along with maybe carpooling, or working from home a few days a week, or requesting flexible work hours so you're avoiding rush hour, etc.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:03 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,340 times
> Oh dear....I can't imagine driving from Skippack to Marcus Hook every day at rush hour.
It's a job, and the economy is tough. But I do agree with the above.

At rush hour, even when there's no construction it gets jammed up. An accident or even someone pulled over by the police, which doesn't happen enough IMO, slows traffic.

And to add to that, the Blue Route from Conshohocken/I-76 to Plymouth Meeting has has 'lane restricting construction' going on for seven or eight of the last ten years. What's going on now, rebuilding the bridge decks and rebuilding the roadway started two or three years ago. Before that it was the EZ Pass express lanes, and before that it was 10 months (i.e.,a full year) of roadway resurfacing, and before it was, .... well, you get the picture. It seems to me that section is a never ending construction zone. Just watch, when this work is done, something else will start.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times
I know that going southbound in the morning, 476 seems to really jam up between the Midcounty tolls and the exit for the Schuylkill Expressway, and approaching the Media/Swarthmore exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia