U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 15,984 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what people think of upper darby. Despite living in west philly for a while I know nothing about upper darby. I just happened to drive through there the other day in search of a pizza hut. Is it a good neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,062,373 times
It used to be okay, but has gone down quickly and dramatically.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM

254 posts, read 696,616 times
Crime is horrific and not much better than West Philadelphia.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,742,290 times
upper darby is not a neighborhood. it is a whole township. and it is ghetto as hell.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 PM

40 posts, read 114,756 times
Upper Darby is huge, but the part that I know as Upper Darby Proper (as in a UD mailing address) is probably what we are talking about. Upper Darby is a bit rough but generally not dangerous. I grew up there in the 90s. I liked it enough. It was very easy to get to the city. I loved that. I never experienced any real crime issues. I mean my brother got his jaw broken coming home from a bar once and a kid tried to break into my mother's car once, but really where doesn't that sort of thing happen from time to time? The high school is massive and I'd say does a good job with a very diverse student population. My biggest complaint about Upper Darby is the long time residents who like to blame UD's issues on the big bad city, whilst thier kids are having kids at 16 and taking oxys by the bottle. I'm glad I grew up there (was introduced to the city, didn't have to drive, got to know people of all creeds and colors, acquired a good class consciousness...) but couldn't imagine living there again. Generally, it's like most rougher suburbs. The people that want to do something move to the city or wherever and the kids that are content to knock around doing whatever stay.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,351,081 times
I lived in Upper Darby for about seven years from the mid-90's to the early 00's. The quality of life at my apartment complex, which wasn't exactly sterling to begin with, took a turn for the worse during the last couple years of my stay.

The 69th Street area can be dicey at night. IMO the further west you go, the nicer the area is. There are a lot of decent, affordable homes there for the working-to-middle-class albeit with high taxes. Drexel Hill, technically part of Upper Darby, is the nicest area of all.

For someone from West Philly "proper" (outside University City and Powelton Village), unless you lived in Cobbs Creek or maybe Overbrook, Upper Darby will seem like an upgrade. I'm sure the town would welcome people who are looking to make positive change. Unfortunately, UD has gained an increasing reputation for the opposite reasons.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 PM

219 posts, read 577,526 times
Upper Darby is a very elongated township, which means it ranges from working class areas by 69th St. all the way to affluent areas in Drexel Hill. I teach ESL at Upper Darby High, and it's quite a good school, so at least the township has that going for it. It's a magnet for immigrants from across the world, but especially Koreans, Bangladeshis, and Haitians. Back in the day it used to be one of the Greek-est places in the Delaware Valley. The immigrants bring with themselves a culture shock, which alienates a lot of long-timers, but also a very strong entrepeneurial spirit. 69th St, Chester Pike, State Rd, and Garrett Rd. further out, are all very healthy commercial corridors. Closer to 69th St, the area is a haven for middle-class African-American families, who despite some bad eggs among them, are faring much better than they did right across Cobbs Creek. The eastern parts have a quite poor Irish and Italian population scattered among the black families; the fact that they no longer dominate the area has created tensions between the groups. Further west, the whites get more affluent rapidly, and the western sections, basically anything west of Lansdowne, are definitely upper middle class and virtually all white. Upper Darby is basically a microcosm of America.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM

40 posts, read 114,756 times
One of the most shocking moments of my teen years was the first day of high school when we (former Beverly Hills Middle School students) learned that Drexel Hill kids were all white and middle class. It was crazy.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM

28 posts, read 75,811 times
Allow me to add my two cents on Upper Darby. All of the township isn't all bad or grimey. Allow me to break it down by sections.

Cardington-Stonehurst: This section near the 69th Street corridor is what people that stereotype all of UD on. Sadly this area is starting to become another West Philly's Cobbs Creek and Overbrook which borders them and nearby Millbourne Borough.

Beverly Hills (North of Bywood Road): Still a peaceful and relatively quiet part with magnificent homes.

Bywood: In my humble opinion too dirty.

Highland Park: Quiet and convenient. Very safe.

Drexel Hill: Predominantly white but some minorities live there. Extremely quiet, gorgeous, and nice homes. If you move there PLEASE SEND YOUR KIDS TO HILLCREST ELEMENTARY...THE BEST.

Overall, Upper Darby is okay depending again on where you live but I love the diversity of cultures. The only criticism I have is that the high school is too big and the real estate taxes are too high.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,786,465 times
according to this, Upper Darby is not all that bad.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia