U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 AM
 
Location: West Cedar Park, Philadelphia
1,225 posts, read 1,304,540 times
Reputation: 673

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The only way some of these old towns like Chester, AC, Norristown etc. come back is in a real-estate boom, when they become more attractive to developers and buyers because the property is affordable. But, as we know, "school district" is key to a lot of buyers, and the Catholic schools aren't a viable alternative because even they are packing up and leaving town.

So basically, in this economy, towns like Chester will probably struggle more than most until things turn around.
That was supposed to happen in Norristown, and Camden, and a lot of other places. Speculation is one thing, until the city stabilizes people will look elsewhere, as they have been already. It would take a massive shift towards urban living for the real estate in Chester to suddenly look attractive to outsiders again, and that simply won't happen.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I feel as though when a city's problems outpace its abilities to deal with these effects then the city will decline. Chester has lost its stabilizing forces and will be at the mercy of its problems. I just don't see anyone taking the time or investment to alleviate that right now.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
3,771 posts, read 2,910,398 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
You don't just tell people to go to school and not go into the drug trade and be nice. I wish it were that simple but its not. You can do your part to raise your kids the right way, help them to grow up and lead them onto the right path. However, no amount of well-adjusted people could save Chester, unless they all commuted to work... that city needs jobs again. Most importantly, jobs that you can support a family with.

But isn't that the story everywhere these days?
Not everyone from Chester is poor, on welfare or a drug dealer. Chester has thousands of residence that work an maintain an honest living. The misconception about my city is that people judge Chester like everyone is bad and that is a lie.

Some outsiders before Harrahs and PPL stadium never stepped foot in the city. Except if they rode past it on 95, 291, 320, Blue Route or 322. They judge because of what they read and see on the news, they don't have a clue what is really going on there.

1. Economics is a major factor.

The unemployment rate in Chester is way over 10%. People need to survive, in no way I support the behavior of people selling drugs. But how can they survive without a job to support their family. Drugs in a community sucks the life out of it. The Illegal business in Chester was allowed to become an inferno for decades. Its not easy to extingush a forrest fire!

2. Change.

How do you get rid of low life people, that continue to murder and sell drugs to their own people? That's the problem! My family couldn't leave Chester and move to a better place. So they taught me about education and focusing on being successful. That helped me to be the man I am today.


That's why I mentor, I tell the kids education is key. Regardless if they live in a fatherless household, staying positive and seeking knowledge will keep young kids from Drugs and crime.


Your right kids need to be taught more than just education, but I believe education is the cornerstone of any successful person. Whether your Black or White.

Last edited by Mr. Opinion; 09-24-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, FL
2,051 posts, read 2,370,207 times
Reputation: 1614
Remember Manayunk was a mess at one point. So was the "Art Museum area". Conshohocken was no box of chocolates either. All these areas became attractive to developers, particularly because of their waterfront locations. Of course, they didn't become revitalized as much as "gentrified" or "yuppie-fied". But whatever, perhaps with Chester's waterfront location, it'll happen there someday too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: West Cedar Park, Philadelphia
1,225 posts, read 1,304,540 times
Reputation: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Not everyone from Chester is poor, on welfare or a drug dealer. Chester has thousands of residence that work an maintain an honest living. The misconception about my city is that people judge Chester like everyone is bad and that is a lie.

Some outsiders before Harrahs and PPL stadium never stepped foot in the city. Except if they rode past it on 95, 291, 320, Blue Route or 322. They judge because of what they read and see on the news, they don't have a clue what is really going on there.

1. Economics is a major factor.

The unemployment rate in Chester is way over 10%. People need to survive, in no way I support the behavior of people selling drugs. But how can they survive without a job to support their family. Drugs in a community sucks the life out of it. The Illegal business in Chester was allowed to become an inferno for decades. Its not easy to extingush a forrest fire!

2. Change.

How do you get rid of low life people, that continue to murder and sell drugs to their own people? That's the problem! My family couldn't leave Chester and move to a better place. So they taught me about education and focusing on being successful. That helped me to be the man I am today.


That's why I mentor, I tell the kids education is key. Regardless if they live in a fatherless household, staying positive and seeking knowledge will keep young kids from Drugs and crime.


Your right kids need to be taught more than just education, but I believe education is the cornerstone of any successful person. Whether your Black or White.
I never said they were all drug dealers and criminals. I said the city will continue to have its problems because it is too difficult to maintain a stable lifestyle short of seeking opportunity elsewhere. You yourself admit as much when you mention the fact that the "official" unemployment is way over 10%. The only reason then you'd live in Chester, since there is no career opportunity, would be because it was a nice place to live. It certainly is not. People move to the Main Line or West Chester if they want the convenience of getting to the city but don't want to live there. They don't move to Chester. I understand there are good people in the city of Chester. The point is not that there aren't any stable households. Even within the seemingly worst areas of Philadelphia you will still find that odd street where all the houses are occupied, the street and sidewalk are clean, and things seem surreally normal. The point is that Chester's problems have far outpaced the efforts of the residents left trying to keep the place stable. You can raise your kids properly, but can you raise your neighbors'? Your whole blocks'? The city needs more stabilizing forces so that it can support stable households. This means jobs. Chester has lost about half its population and it still doesn't have enough employment opportunities to keep all its residents employed now, as you yourself already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08
Remember Manayunk was a mess at one point. So was the "Art Museum area". Conshohocken was no box of chocolates either. All these areas became attractive to developers, particularly because of their waterfront locations. Of course, they didn't become revitalized as much as "gentrified" or "yuppie-fied". But whatever, perhaps with Chester's waterfront location, it'll happen there someday too.
You can point out Philadelphia neighborhoods and say gee, this neighborhood unslummed itself, why can't Chester? Because a Philly neighborhood and the city of Chester are two completely different things. Neighborhoods within a city aren't distinct units, the city flows together, and believe it or not there is within the city of Philadelphia some sort of attraction that is attracting people to live here. Is it the culture, the universities, the businesses, the good food? I don't know. Chester doesn't have any of these things. It has a casino, and a soccer stadium. It has nothing to attract new stable residents, and its miles away from Philadelphia with a long stretch of marshland and industrial hell in between. It is not part of a fluid whole with the city, and doesn't benefit the way Fairmount or Manayunk did.

Last edited by Marius Pontmercy; 09-26-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, FL
2,051 posts, read 2,370,207 times
Reputation: 1614
I was not saying Chester should "un-slum itself", I was trying to find a positive anecdote about neighborhoods or towns that were down-in-the-dumps and became revitalized during real estate booms, particularly towns on waterfront locations. You say this would never happen in Chester because it's so far from the city. Conshocken is almost just as far but was attractive because it's situated on the waterfront AND Expressway. Chester is on the waterfront AND I-95.

No, it's not likely to become the next Manayunk, but the fact that Harrah's was willing to put a casino there, and the region's pro soccer team was willing to be based there, says SOMEONE thinks the city is worth investing in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 AM
 
Location: West Cedar Park, Philadelphia
1,225 posts, read 1,304,540 times
Reputation: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

No, it's not likely to become the next Manayunk, but the fact that Harrah's was willing to put a casino there, and the region's pro soccer team was willing to be based there, says SOMEONE thinks the city is worth investing in.
The team initially looked at several other locations, but due to financial issues or otherwise, eventually settled on Chester. I believe there was some wheeling and dealing with the state too. In any case, they certainly did not pick Chester first, but rather settled on it later after other locations couldn't come through.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
 
Location: West Cedar Park, Philadelphia
1,225 posts, read 1,304,540 times
Reputation: 673
Also, I'm not trying to put Chester down. I'm just pointing out that what appears to work for another areas isn't necessarily the best thing for Chester. I'm also not trying to say the soccer stadium wasn't a good thing, it certainly was in the sense that its better than having a big vacant spot on your waterfront. However I just don't see any of the current big projects (stadium and casino) as really being what the city needs to turn itself around, nor do I see any writing on the wall that says Chester is drawing a lot of interest. I also don't mean to degrade the residents of the city. I understand there's a lot of good, hard-working people there. I just meant to point out the fact that the city's problems have outpaced its ability to correct them, and nobody is doing anything to fix that right now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: PA/FL/UT
1,294 posts, read 1,767,266 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
... I just meant to point out the fact that the city's problems have outpaced its ability to correct them, and nobody is doing anything to fix that right now.
Isn't building a casino and soccer stadium plus a promise of $400 million investment mean literally that someone is doing something about it?

I know the soccer team has invested a lot in helping after school programs and getting new places for the kids to play. I know that people are making a difference there, did you read this? :
Chester’s grocery co-op featured in documentary - delcotimes.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
3,971 posts, read 8,577,166 times
Reputation: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I was not saying Chester should "un-slum itself", I was trying to find a positive anecdote about neighborhoods or towns that were down-in-the-dumps and became revitalized during real estate booms, particularly towns on waterfront locations. You say this would never happen in Chester because it's so far from the city. Conshocken is almost just as far but was attractive because it's situated on the waterfront AND Expressway. Chester is on the waterfront AND I-95.

No, it's not likely to become the next Manayunk, but the fact that Harrah's was willing to put a casino there, and the region's pro soccer team was willing to be based there, says SOMEONE thinks the city is worth investing in.
I have to be honest. Harrahs and the Soccer Stadium most likely happened because of backroom politics, developers and cheap real estate and not so much trying to turn Chester around.

Conshohocken? Completely different situation then what Chester is in.

Conshocken was an old mill town of 8,000 people surrounded by Gladwyne(wealthiest town in PA) The Main Line, Lafayette Hill,Gulph Mills and Valley Forge. It was a relatively easy fix.

On the otherhand Chester was a city of 50,000 people- now 30,000- which has been almost completely abandoned by everyone but the poor. If anything it continues to regress as the northern part of the city which not too long ago were homeowners has sunk into the hands of slum lords and section 8. Pretty sad what happened to Chester. 40- 50 years ago that was an amazing city so I am told.

I hope I am wrong but imo Chester is probably going to wipe out Chichester,Parkside, Aston and Brookhaven in the next 1/2 century.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, FL
2,051 posts, read 2,370,207 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
I hope I am wrong but imo Chester is probably going to wipe out Chichester,Parkside, Aston and Brookhaven in the next 1/2 century.
So I guess buying a house in Brookhaven a month ago was a bad investment then? Hey, I don't have another 50 years to live, so I guess it won't matter by then.

Your key term was "cheap real estate" -- you've just proven my point about how some neighborhoods or cities turn around. I never said they were trying to turn CHESTER around...it's the cheap waterfront real estate that can turn things around.

Conshohocken's proximity to the towns you mentioned wasn't the reason for its turnaround. It's not like folks from those areas uprooted and moved to Conshy, or even cared about it. Heck, Norristown is surrounded by some pretty expensive areas as well, and it's still in the doldrums. It was Conshy's location along the river and Expressway that made it ripe for reinvestment. Cheap real estate, good location. Which is basically the same thing you're saying about Chester and the reason Harrah's invested there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top