Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 17,497 times

Advertisements

What are the new up and coming areas of Philadelphia?

Id like to buy a house in an up and coming area, I am priced out of Northern Liberties, and I feel like NL is already there.

Does anyone think Francisville will be the next area to take off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
francisville may never be like nl but it seems a good bet to become more like the neighbkrhoods south and west

Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM

19 posts, read 79,238 times
Port Richmond, eastern side. Still mostly a family oriented area, close to renewed Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and easy access to I-95. I'm unsure if Francisville will improve in ways that Fairmount has in the past decade or so, or if it will become another Brewerytown; basically be the "hype" of what's next, and still remain heavily blighted in spots, with crime issues. To me, it's still far too close to Strawberry Mansion, which is one of the top three worst areas in the city.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkaos View Post
Port Richmond, eastern side. Still mostly a family oriented area, close to renewed Fishtown, Northern Liberties, and easy access to I-95. I'm unsure if Francisville will improve in ways that Fairmount has in the past decade or so, or if it will become another Brewerytown; basically be the "hype" of what's next, and still remain heavily blighted in spots, with crime issues. To me, it's still far too close to Strawberry Mansion, which is one of the top three worst areas in the city.
francisville isn't brewerytown by any stretch of the imagination (for better or worse). francisville's main problem is lack of people. brewerytown and sm aver very poor neighborhoods. francisville is bordered by fairmount, spring garden, and a part of north philly that is slowly coming into temple's orbit. according to a recent PBJ article, the city is working to redevelop the leon sullivan lot. it will probably never be fairmount but it seems a pretty safe bet that it will be much nicer than it is now. in the past two years, fairmount ave has been a construction zone non-stop. that street's only problem bar is up for sale. now is probably as good a time as any to get in. that isn't to say port richmond doesn't have it's positives as well. (worth noting that francisville isn't far at all from either northern liberties or fishtown either). brewrytown prices are way down from their highs, which means it will probably continue to improve at a slow clip (problems run deep there but people are also moving into point breeze)

Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
There's still the matter of the Divine Lorraine, Fairmount's only problem giant high-rise Victorian apartment building/hotel.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM

219 posts, read 674,754 times
Default Port Richmond

I would agree that Port Richmond is probably the most up-and-coming area that side of Market, with the East Passyunk/ Lower Moyamensing neighborhoods in South Philly the most up-and-coming in that neck of the woods. Port Richmond is seeing plenty of overflow from the gentrification of Fishtown (itself overflow from Northern Liberties), and it's considered stable and quiet enough to move a family into (yuppies more so than hipsters). The part of PR south of Lehigh is already indistinguishable from Fishtown, with the Portside Arts Center finally allowing hipsters to channel their wannabe artsiness back into the community, and the Green Rock being the 'cool' place to be. The part of PR north of Lehigh has seen fewer newcomers, and remains a lower-middle class neighborhood mostly composed of Polish immigrants and their descendants, but is rapidly becoming the only place to go. I think new houses were just built on Cedar or some street right around there to accomodate these types.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
I would agree that Port Richmond is probably the most up-and-coming area that side of Market, with the East Passyunk/ Lower Moyamensing neighborhoods in South Philly the most up-and-coming in that neck of the woods. Port Richmond is seeing plenty of overflow from the gentrification of Fishtown (itself overflow from Northern Liberties), and it's considered stable and quiet enough to move a family into (yuppies more so than hipsters). The part of PR south of Lehigh is already indistinguishable from Fishtown, with the Portside Arts Center finally allowing hipsters to channel their wannabe artsiness back into the community, and the Green Rock being the 'cool' place to be. The part of PR north of Lehigh has seen fewer newcomers, and remains a lower-middle class neighborhood mostly composed of Polish immigrants and their descendants, but is rapidly becoming the only place to go. I think new houses were just built on Cedar or some street right around there to accomodate these types.
I guess north broad didn't get that memo
Starr and Vetri to be neighbors | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/07/2010

Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,940 times
Strawberry Mansion is HARDLY one of the worst areas in Philadelphia! Kensington, Hunting Park, Olney, Nicetown, even GERMANTOWN are all much worse! I'm in love with Strawberry Mansion. I love the people and how genuine, honest, and usually hospitable they are-if they're not hospitable; it's been my experience that's only because somebody mistreated them first. I also love the old architechture that was built by the Freedmen's beaureau between 1840-1880 there. I also love the strong, beautiful, dark skinned, tall, manly, naturally intelligent men (who really are potentially very smart, but they don't always choose it) in that area. Both the people and the housing are suffering, for sure; but they have potential to be the greatest. It's a great place to buy or keep housing in the family right now because the area's appreciating in value. I never have had any fitna or bad experiences with the people who live in Strawberry Mansion; and I'd like to buy and fix up a house there. I'd also like to find a good Muslim brother who wants to better himself and live right to marry.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 AM

134 posts, read 475,181 times
How about South Philly south of Washington between 5-8th streets down to around oregon. It is sandwiched by two good neighborhoods, but it is a little bit rough around the edges from what i've heard and seen.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Good housing deals to be found in that stretch, but it has a long way to go before it cleans up IMO. The upside is that it isn't necessarily dangerous, just kind of dumpy and poor. So, you can safely live in that cooridor and walk to the "better" more established neighorhoods. This isn't the case in many transitional areas which are neighored, or worse, surrounded, by some serious bad news.

For what it's worth, I believe that as Passyunk Square continues to expand, this corridor will slowly get eaten into and refurbished just as the historically Asian parts of Bella Vista did years ago. 8th to 11th Streets just over Washington are also getting massive overhauls. As that area improves, it can't help but have an impact on the area directly East.

With all this said, I think it will take this stretch a longer time to pull it together than it will other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia