Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM410 View Post
I really appreciate all of the feedback. It's good to hear from folks who actually live in the area.

I do understand that I'll probably never get *all* of the things I'd like to have in a new home. I used the questions provided in one of the sticky threads to help be sure I covered all of my bases. But I'm certainly willing to compromise, and I'm sure that I'll have to.

As to our reasoning for living in PA, it's a mixed bag, and we're not exactly set on it just yet. I've heard from folks that NJ has a lot of downsides - high taxes, high insurance rates, etc. It seems like, for the size house that we would like, we will have a bit of a commute anyways, so we thought it seemed worthwhile to look into Pennsylvania. At least then if we pay a bit more for the house, our money is going towards the principle and not just annual taxes. That being said, I am still looking around in Jersey to see what the options are.

Compared to NOVA/ DC metro, taxes are high in both PA and NJ. The more I've looked lately, there really isn't that big of a difference b/t the NJ and PA taxes. For instance, we just bought a place in NJ after having rented in PA for a few years. We found a place we liked in PA and one we liked in NJ. The one in NJ was 15-20 minutes to Center City, the one in PA was about 40 minutes to the city. The taxes on the one in NJ area about 8500/year, the taxes on the one in PA are about 7000/year. However, the one in PA is about $100,000 more. In the end our monthly payment is lower on the NJ side.

Our car insurance actually dropped when we moved from PA to NJ. There is negligible differences in our utilities. Personally, I have found the services to be better in NJ. It could just have been the towns we lived in in PA, but I was not happy with some of the public services (e.g., snow removal, trash removal).

There are areas in PA where the taxes are just as much if not more than the highest taxed places in NJ. Taxes tend to be lower in Burlington County NJ (which Marlton and Medford NJ are both part of).

Marlton to PA could be a hike of a commute that gets old after a while. I would at least look into the NJ towns before writing NJ off altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,426 times
You have to weight it. If you both LIVE in NJ and WORK in Philly, you will get a double whammy with property tax and city wage tax. You can get a 10 year tax abated new construction in Philly and only get hit with the wage tax. Live in NJ for 10 years and your property tax becomes insane. Example: We bought Collingswood at the end of 2006 with property taxes at $7900 (2005 statement). Its now 2010 and our taxes have surpassed $10,000. We have no kids and don't plan to so the "school benefit" is wasted money. Our plan is to relocate to Philly in the Spring. Getting to look more and more like a no-brainer.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Since they'll be working in Mt. Laurel, they might find something in Southampton Twp. that's not too pricey and has a bit of land.

To me, it's always seemed easiest to start at ground zero, work, and fan out from there.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM

681 posts, read 1,512,426 times
To my knowledge, property taxes in mt. laurel are very high.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
To my knowledge, property taxes in mt. laurel are very high.
Property tax in Mt. Laurel is high compared to PA but is actually lower than the surronding area such as Cherry Hill because it's in Burlington County. Yes, it's quite high if you buy one of these new construction Mc Mansion but it's very reasonable for a typical $400K home.

For OP situation, I don't think much is saved living in PA. You have to factor in the cost of commuting over the bridge. Mt. Laurel isn't exactly along the PATCO high speed line. Town north of Philly may work because you want to stay away from living in the city. You will get hit with the city wage tax.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 PM

118 posts, read 193,797 times
I'm in a similar boat, ie moving from DC for a job in Mt Laurel. I've searched high and low in Southern Jersey and have come away very disappointed with the area. Cherry Hill seems like a giant strip mall with no 'there' there. Mt Laurel seems like the sticks, and Collingswood seemed really small and kinda boring. Also, the fact that there is no nightlife there. I looked at the Victor lofts at the gentrified Camden waterfront, which are great and amazingly cheap compared to DC. But, they back up on ridiculously raggedy and dangerous Camden.

It seems like for a single person the closest happening Jersey town is New Brunswick!

Philly towns and burbs seem to be FAR nicer, more quaint, and actually have nightlife and are walkable. (Think Manayunk/ Chestnut Hill/ Mainline). But, then there's the question of traffic/ commute. I'm leaning toward a place right in the heart of downtown off Ben Franklin, or Fairmount/ Logan. Somewhere close to 676.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
I'm in a similar boat, ie moving from DC for a job in Mt Laurel. I've searched high and low in Southern Jersey and have come away very disappointed with the area. Cherry Hill seems like a giant strip mall with no 'there' there. Mt Laurel seems like the sticks, and Collingswood seemed really small and kinda boring. Also, the fact that there is no nightlife there. I looked at the Victor lofts at the gentrified Camden waterfront, which are great and amazingly cheap compared to DC. But, they back up on ridiculously raggedy and dangerous Camden.

It seems like for a single person the closest happening Jersey town is New Brunswick!

Philly towns and burbs seem to be FAR nicer, more quaint, and actually have nightlife and are walkable. (Think Manayunk/ Chestnut Hill/ Mainline). But, then there's the question of traffic/ commute. I'm leaning toward a place right in the heart of downtown off Ben Franklin, or Fairmount/ Logan. Somewhere close to 676.
Check out Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia. It includes, as the name implies, "town"-like communities in the Philly Metro in both PA and NJ. Note: When I tried to access this website I was given a warning that the site may be harmful to my computer, so I don't know what's going on in that regard.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Since they'll be working in Mt. Laurel, they might find something in Southampton Twp. that's not too pricey and has a bit of land.

To me, it's always seemed easiest to start at ground zero, work, and fan out from there.
Thats Southampton Township in Jersey. Nice area but pretty far out in the 'sticks'. Not to be confused with Southampton pa which is also very nice and not in the sticks

Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM

118 posts, read 193,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Check out Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia. It includes, as the name implies, "town"-like communities in the Philly Metro in both PA and NJ. Note: When I tried to access this website I was given a warning that the site may be harmful to my computer, so I don't know what's going on in that regard.
Thanks for the site!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post

You can check out Old City, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Pennsport - any place near 95 N should work too. If you can get to 95 N, you can take the Betsy Ross Bridge to 73 S, which usually is a 30 minute commute (you're going against traffic).

You are correct that South NJ isn't "happening" in any real quantity. The Collingswood area is the best compromise that isn't strip mall suburbia or a retirement community. Haddon Township has a few bars that get a younger crowd - Pour House especially.

Philly is different because people aren't priced out of the city like in DC. People who want to live in Philly can generally afford to do so, they aren't stuck in Northern VA, etc. However, you'll need a car if you work in Mount Laurel.

I personally live in Collingswood and in a lot of ways it's the best of both worlds. I can get to work easily 5 days a week, but get into the city whenever I want - I actually was out in the city on Tuesday night. I go to Phillies games by using PATCO to the subway. On the whole, the only thing I really don't have versus the city is the "Philadelphia" rowhome neighborhood feel - with the local bar at the end of your block, etc.

If you opt for Philly, be prepared to pay for reliable parking, high auto insurance rates, 4% wage tax, etc. You need to make that value judgement for yourself versus NJ.

NJ
Pros - Cheaper rents than Old/Center City, free parking, closer to work, no bridge tolls
Cons - Less nightlife, commute into the city for entertainment (15 min ride 24/7 from Collingswood/Haddon Township)

Philly
Pros - Unlimited nightlife, no commute for entertainment
Cons - Higher rents, pay to park, further from work, bridge tolls ($5/day)

That's it in a nut shell. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia