U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM

99 posts, read 70,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
this is North Philly. You tell me why everyone 'thinks' its so terrible..

The Musings of an Urban Christian: Out of My Element in North Philly
Growing up in Bridesburg, we never went downtown (it's 10 minutes away), either. It may as well have been Russia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM

711 posts, read 658,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Doesn't look any worse than Harlem or the Lower East Side did a few decades ago. Have some vision.
Why talk about a few decades ago?

It's 2012...

Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM

960 posts, read 1,436,288 times
I like the edginess/grittiness of North Philly. It feels so real, industrial, working class and historic in a decaying kind of way. Kind of reminnds me of the movie, "On the Waterfront."

Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,876,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Why talk about a few decades ago?

It's 2012...
I thought it was clear that "having vision" implied trying to look forward a couple of decades, using a similar example to show how things can change. You can't expect anything to change overnight.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I thought it was clear that "having vision" implied trying to look forward a couple of decades, using a similar example to show how things can change. You can't expect anything to change overnight.
Looking forward a couple of decades let's poverty get out of control...

live in the now...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Looking forward a couple of decades let's poverty get out of control...

live in the now...
I'm honestly not sure what your point is.

We all agree that North Philly is bad. That's not news. Are you saying that "because it's in bad shape it's hopeless and can never change"?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 1,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
I didn't read all the responses but some of them.

Generally speaking some parts of a city or town do change and it definitely takes a lot of time and community effort. But my understanding is that North Philly has been a less than desireable neighborhood for years and years and Temple does what they can in their area but doesn't extend that warm growth into the full time, long term North Philly residents. I've never heard of a Temple grad staying in North Philly after graduation. Some do stay in Philly, but I've never heard of them choosing to reside in North Philly. There is a reason for that.
Just having a beer at the North Star the other night, had a conversation with a Temple alum who moved to Brewerytown after graduating ten years ago, and he spoke of fellow grads who did the same, does that count?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 1,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
You know, after moving here, the first couple of times I took the bus through some of the most dilapidated parts of North Philadelphia, it's pretty amazing to see how run down it can get.

Getting over the initial awe of that, what sticks out more to me now when I go through those parts of town, is actually the houses that are clean, freshly painted, cornices in tact, porches neat, decorations in the windows. That stubbornness is something that I for sure don't have. And I have a lot of respect for that.
Couldn't agree more. I've been watching these area for close to ten years now, and there is definitely a change for the better in many areas. I also think those people who are strong enough to stick it out and thrive are doing a better job of getting together and organizing groups such a GBCDC to try to make the best with limited funds and slowly get things done.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure what your point is.

We all agree that North Philly is bad. That's not news. Are you saying that "because it's in bad shape it's hopeless and can never change"?
My point is simply that North Philly has been bad for too long...

Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
My point is simply that North Philly has been bad for too long...
And...?

It's not like it's been completely unchanged forever. North Philly had a past, and it has a future.
It's not going to have a miracle transformation in a week. If & when it happens, it's going to take decades for North Philly to come back up, just like it took decades for it to decline.
I don't see the point of telling someone to "live in the now", and just point out the blight that everyone already knows about over and over again.
If you're saying you think there's an actual reason it can never improve the way other places in similarly bad shape have improved, then we'd be interested in hearing those reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia