Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Because of the rowhome style of home? Or just happens regardless of home type? (I mean in reference to home invasions)...

700+ home invasions every year in Philly since 05..

Home invasions: Since 2005, there have been 700+ in the city | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/19/2010

Last edited by frankgn87; 10-20-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 AM

134 posts, read 473,657 times
Appreciate the responses. I do realize that it is a city. I've been living here for 3 1/2 years now and this is my first time where I personally was the victim of a crime this serious in Hartford. We have been broken into before, but it was always while we were all out of the house, or away for the weekend. The criminals seem to be getting bolder, going so far as to break into my room while i'm sleeping in it. I'm sure you can understand my concern.

Crime is what it is, and as long as I don't feel like im the primary target then it's something I can cope with being in the vicinity of. But at this point I feel like we are just being hit over and over again. Three break in's in a year, three shootings less than a block away, and several murders within a few blocks (but again the way I justify this is that its not me being targeted, and from what i've gathered its pretty much all drug disputes).

In the end what I am looking for is not complete safety, otherwise I wouldn't have looked to live in a city in the first place. With high population density comes poverty and poverty brings crime. Im just trying to collect as much information about potential neighborhoods that I may live in as possible.

On another note, I know Philadelphia has a reputation of being dangerous (particularly in certain parts) but Hartford is just a truly blighted city. There is almost no middle class left in the city. There is a small young professional population in the downtown area, and a few middle class families left in the West End. Aside from that the city is home to a large immigrant population, which I have no problem with whatsoever aside from the fact that these people are the ones doing drugs and committing the crimes. Hartford makes most of the parts of Philly outside of the North, and Parts of West Philly look nice (never been to the Southwest, never had a reason).

Last edited by sweendog024; 10-20-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
wow, never knew anything in Conn was that bad!! Getting the heck out is a good move..

Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM

316 posts, read 1,011,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
On another note, I know Philadelphia has a reputation of being dangerous (particularly in certain parts) but Hartford is just a truly blighted city. There is almost no middle class left in the city. There is a small young professional population in the downtown area, and a few middle class families left in the West End. Aside from that the city is home to a large immigrant population, which I have no problem with whatsoever aside from the fact that these people are the ones doing drugs and committing the crimes. Hartford makes most of the parts of Philly outside of the North, and Parts of West Philly look nice (never been to the Southwest, never had a reason).
Yeah, Hartford has problems, but its not a new problem. Its been that way. Middle class in the city has always been dwindling. The suburbs are very, very nearby and not overly expensive to move into for the middle class. There's been more positive change in downtown and West End recently, definite improvements over the last 15 years, trust me. And this is a problem in CT cities, Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, rich state in terms of people but a poor state otherwise, with issues of crime and poverty in the cities, been that way for ages.

As for the comment about the immigrant population doing drugs and committing crimes. Similar to your comment about living in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, I don't exactly get given the demographics of the city. You're living in a mostly Puerto Rican neighborhood? Well, the city is half Hispanic and mostly Puerto Rican, so yeah, there's going to be some Puerto Rican neighborhoods. Same with crime, its committed, it will be committed by some in these populations because that is the population there. Plus, you live in one of the poorer sections of the city, so not sure what you were expecting in terms of crime.The problems in the neighborhood have much more to do with economics than anything else.

Hartford hasn't changed in 4 years (in fact, many would argue as a whole its improved because there's more development and less crime than in the beginning of the decade), but your tolerance must have of the area where you are renting. I'm sorry you've had the break-ins, that will certainly affect anyone, so I definitely get it. I hope you consider where you think you can handle living and not just what you can afford close to Center City. Ten people on here can tell you Port Richmond is fine, but if you are uncomfortable with what happens nearby then maybe its not the area for you despite its relative safeness. Safety means different things for different people. Make sure you are not taking for granted what you think you know about all of these areas and you are taking the time to visit the areas personally at different times of day and night to determine if you will feel safe living in these places. I wish you luck in your search.

Last edited by JasmineFlower; 10-20-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 PM

81 posts, read 174,581 times
I would suggest Mt. Airy and Roxborough. Roxborough is pretty quiet, and is up the hill from Manayunk. The zip is 19128

Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 PM

518 posts, read 1,048,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wow, never knew anything in Conn was that bad!! Getting the heck out is a good move..
I visited New Haven, 24 years ago looking at schools and it was a craphole (at least where I was ). Yeah I know Yale is there...didn't see it. I'm surprised to hear this too though. Most of Conn. I have seen is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia