Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,181 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Roxborough, first on Green Lane, then on Acorn Street, in the 50s and 60s. Graduated from RHS in the Class of '65. That was way back when the Roxy Theater, Ridge Avenue, and my church group were our cultural "centers." Lots of great memories.

I moved to California soon thereafter and have been back just once, briefly, and that was for just a day or two.

From the pictures I see online, there have been some pretty big changes in the cultural and ethnic makeup of Roxborough since I left.

I'd love to hear what life there is like now from folks who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 AM

219 posts, read 674,343 times
If Roxborough was mostly white and upper-middle class back then, which I assume it was, not much has changed. I don't know exactly what pictures you looked at, but if it was those of Roxborough High, they are a bit misleading- the school is majority black, but most of the kids are bussed in from West Oak Lane or East Mt. Airy. However, it's far from Philadelphia's worst public high school, let me assure you. The only immigrant populations I can think of in Roxborough are minute populations of South Asians and Eastern European Jews..

If anything, Roxborough has become quite a trendy locale, with Manayunk's resurgence as a charming walkable commuter town has caused an influx of young professionals up the hill. Ridge Avenue is probably one of Philadelphia's most vibrant shopping stripes these days. Controlled development continues in the hinterlands of Roxborough, and on isolated patches on the slopes.

There was a music video by one band, Audioslave, that was looking for a working-class locale to film in, and I guess they chose Roxborough after hearing about the main guy's story (I won't ruin it for you!). This is Roxborough, circa 2006 AD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFdX37Qpnk&ob=av2e

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM

81 posts, read 175,179 times
I have lived in the area for the past 7 years. There has been a lot of development on Ridge including Crossroads Coffeehouse, a produce market, and an updated Citizen's bank. There have been a few Condo/Townhouse commnities that have sprung up. It is still a relatively safe neighborhood, and mostly quiet. I am relocating to Dallas, but decided to hold onto my property in case I want to come back.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:35 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,233 times
it is nothing like it was when you were here. You would most likely be disgusted with how it has changed.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,181 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
it is nothing like it was when you were here. You would most likely be disgusted with how it has changed.
Can you be more specific?

Pics I have seen show a huge ethnic change at RHS. Anything else changed in the community? Roxborough used to be a church - and family - oriented community. No longer true?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 PM

219 posts, read 674,343 times
Default Roxborough- still strong

Like I said, there HAS been a rather big ethnic change at Roxborough High, but not at all in the surrounding neighborhood. If anything, the first thing you'd see are new houses, especially in upper Roxborough. The only change in lower Roxborough has been the wave of young professionals (Crossroads Cafe on Ridge and the Ugly Moose on Shurs couldn't survive without them.) Often, the young professionals bring families with them. So, yes, the neighborhood is still family-centric. Church-centric? Less so, as many newcomers are not religious, but the parishes there are still strong.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalapaGuy View Post
Can you be more specific?

Pics I have seen show a huge ethnic change at RHS. Anything else changed in the community? Roxborough used to be a church - and family - oriented community. No longer true?
No, he can't. He obviously has an agenda that is not born out by reality.

Roxborough is still pretty family oriented but realized that family life has changed quite a bit since 1965, and not just in Roxborough. The neighborhood is still mostly clean, blocks are well-kept, Ridge Ave. is still busy, at least during the day - the nightlife is pretty limited. Pennkid already addressed the situation at the high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia