Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 20,929 times

Advertisements

Looking for a free checking and honest banking practice bank anywhere within 10 miles of 18966 Richboro.

Going to Newtown, Warminster, Feasterville, Bryn Athyn, Hatboro, is fine for the benefit of having a good bank.

I am at Citizens Bank now, though a notice informed that they will put a $4.95 charge per month on the free checking accounts, unless you have $1500 balance, or make 5 payments from your account per month.

So far, I've found PNC has free checking, and TD Bank also. Both include a free Check Card, and free online banking. TD's only requirement is $100 balance after the first 12 months.
However, there are the usual complaints posted about both of these... the usual events.. unfair charges, unsatisfying and unkind communication and handling of problems or concerns.

I've found that every bank seems fine, or okay, but when there is a problem or glitch, then you notice that many of them leave you unsatisfied or feeling taken advantage of. ..But I have heard about good ones out there... real old fashioned hospitality and personal attention.

Does anyone have any good experience with any one.. even credit unions or smaller banks (as long as they have free checking, check cards, and online banking)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Try Fox Chase Bank - still under local ownership and control. There's a branch at Street Rd. and Davisville.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks.. I know the one in Richboro. They're certainly not a large chain.

I just saw on their website, in the Letter from the President:
Thank you for your support and your vote in favor of our plan of reorganization. Because of your overwhelming support, we completed our conversion from a mutual holding company to a fully public company on June 29, 2010.

Other than that, are they win-win or customer-is-always-right when you need help or there's a problem?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousepad View Post
I just saw on their website, in the Letter from the President:
Thank you for your support and your vote in favor of our plan of reorganization. Because of your overwhelming support, we completed our conversion from a mutual holding company to a fully public company on June 29, 2010.
FXCB Profile | Fox Chase Bancorp, Inc. Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Fox Chase Bank operates 11 branches in Philadelphia, Richboro, Willow Grove, Warminster, Lahaska, Hatboro, Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania; and Ocean City, Marmora, and Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey.
I don't know if being small, with only 11 branches, makes them more or less likely to be pressured to change.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 PM

I think I may have found a few possibilities.. thanks to a credit union locator and detail site..
Credit Union Locator

The credit unions seem to range from bare bones to full service with Check Cards, wire and ACH tranfers online, online billpay, and interest on balance, ... for free checking.

One of them has surcharge free ATM use at any PNC bank location.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,664 times
How about First National Bank of Newtown? 100% free checking w/ debit card - no minimum balance. Can't beat that!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
How about First National Bank of Newtown? 100% free checking w/ debit card - no minimum balance. Can't beat that!
Well the one credit union I'm looking at has those too... and also has no stockholders to answer to Plus, by having an account you have a share in ownership of the credit union! Reminds me of a co-op.

But yes, FNBN sure has one nice website. Out of all the bank site's I've looked at theirs is the most welcoming an reassuring. Never hurts to have a backup just in case!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 AM

117 posts, read 588,530 times
How about Trumark Credit Union? I know one opened up on 2nd St. Pike in Richboro this summer, and there's one in Warrington, and one by the Neshaminy Mall. I've used them for about 10 years and have never had a problem.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM

TruMark is the one I narrowed down on. Free Checking, no minimum (except for the $5 share deposit), Check Card, no surcharge at TruMark or PNC ATMs, online billpay, online ACH.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 PM

TruMark has been taking a few days to reply after I submitted my application. Still waiting to hear from them.

I want to be out of Citizen's before the new requirements in December, so I also applied to Freedom Credit Union. They offer the same services as TruMark, free checking with 25% interest, free first order of 150 checks, and have lower fees for wires. The main difference is that they have fewer branches, though still give surcharge-free ATM use from 28,000 locations.

btw, I keep seeing this "surcharge-free". Does this mean completely free? Or does it mean something like the bank ATM charges a fee but your bank doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia