U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2010, 06:22 PM

19 posts, read 30,266 times
Default Free or inexpensive field trips for schoolchildren in Philadelphia

I teach second grade in Philadelphia, and would like to take the students on several free or inexpensive field trips this year. My students are low income, and they would have to pay for the bus and any other expenses.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,378,233 times
How about the Elmwood Zoo in Norristown? Elmwood Park Zoo >> About the Zoo (http://elmwoodparkzoo.org/visit/about.html - broken link) It's a nice small zoo that's used to school groups. I assume you are thinking of next Spring?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks. I'm looking for trips for any time during the school year.

The cost of the Norristown Zoo is half the price of the Philadelphia Zoo, so I do appreciate that information.

Does anyone know of a trip that would cost $5 or less for each child?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM

557 posts, read 606,156 times
Not sure if you only want to stay in Phila proper - but Valley Forge National Park does student tours and the entrance is free.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 AM

1,853 posts, read 4,592,279 times
This may be totally off the wall, but have you thought about the children learning a few songs and taking them to a nursing home to sing to the residents?They would probably take pride in bringing smiles to the old people.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 AM

32 posts, read 64,631 times
Contact the Arden Theatre, Walnut STreet theatre and Prince Theatre. THey all have various kid's productions throughout the year and often give free or reduced price tickets to schools. I know my daughters' public school has received free tickets to Arden productions. Stress that you are a low income school.

Philadelphia Water works will often give guided tours to children's groups.

Also, do a Philadelphia history self-guided tour. Include the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, Franklin House, the Mint, etc (all free and all within walking distance). If the kids behave well you can end up at Franklin Square and let them play for awhile. You will need some parent volunteers for this, however, due to lots of street crossings, etc.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Thank you all so much for the great ideas!

I love the nursing home idea, but unfortunately we are limited to only school district approved sites for which we are insured.

I appreciate your responses - I can't wait to get started planning for some of these sites.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,378,233 times
One of the things I'm sure you are keeping in mind is field trips that are already in place for other grades. For instance, in our school the kids study PA history in third grade so they go to Harrisburg and a local old one room school house in the area. In fifth grade they go to the Franklin Institute and then in 6th grade they go to Ellis Island. I would really suggest places like orchards, parks, and zoos instead of museums or places which might be over their head or that they will be going back to later. Here's the link for a nice orchard in Delaware County Linvilla Orchards - your one-stop destination for online fruit basket orders, Pick-Your-Own fresh fruits, gifts and crafts for all seasons, farming fun and education for families, schools, bus and day trips, as well as our famous bakery, farm market, Our grocery stores also do tours for pre-schools and young students.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 AM

210 posts, read 297,786 times
The Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia - Home

Old 12-06-2010, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,272 times
One thing that you should that a lot of teachers don't is call any museum you are interested in possibly going to and see if they are have any grant programs that your school qualifies for. It's a great way to have some the cost for the trips or special programs differed.

I work at a museum on the Parkway and know that we sometimes have grants for programs that people don't always utilize.

Another suggestion. I don't know how old your students are, but we used to sometimes take public transit for school trips. I've chaperoned trips like that for my little brother (5th grade), into center city.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia