U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,806,814 times
Smile What is Langhorne like?

Hi there,

I was wondering if you guys can shed some light into Langhorne, I Goggled but it doesn't appear to be a "city"...?

Our family is re-searching PA areas for relocation (coming from FL to be closer to family, NYC, DC etc) and this city was recommended to us, we have 3 kids, middle with Autism (he will be 5 next year) but functions very well now, need elementary school info with ABA programs if any (in Public school if any) I am also looking greatschools.org and autismspeaks.org for that.

The other thing I was wondering is what area around Philly will we be able to find a large back yard with the possibility of a tree house? mature trees etc, really pretty country looking scenery, possible mountain view. However still somewhat within 30 minutes of town for work, groceries etc. AND NICE PEOPLE! who don't mind making friends with the new neighbors! we are white Caucasians if that matters, I saw that being mentioned on a few boards! Hope won't be an issue.

This passed summer when we drove back from upstate NY we drove the route through Lancaster etc and it was soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful we couldn't get over it.

We don't know what area we will be working yet because the school for our son (and other kids, elementary) take #1 priority, everything else will have to revolve around that. I work from home anyway, so communing won't be an issue.

Also, what grocery stores do you guys have? or what is in Langhorne (if any)?

I was also looking into Harrisburg area, but would prefer to be closer to Philly if we can.

So, I will ask the same question for the millionth time...LOL
Can you guys share some names of Suburbs? I am not familiar with rents so I can't tell you what price were looking into, but if we had to choose of course we would prefer a 4/2 with den for around $13 to $1500...not sure how doable that is yet.

Ohh, and now the hardest part of all, WE DON'T WANT AN HOA EVER AGAIN!
We are willing to restore a home for the homeowner as we like a clean and sharp looking home for our family, no food stains on walls and the likes...so, we are not afraid of elbow grease, but we are sick and tired of HOAs harassing us. House size shouldn't be larger than $17/1800 square feet either.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,519,933 times
Langhorn is not a muncipility and it has irregular borders. It is about 20 miles north of downtown Philadelphia and is pretty much built out with typical suburban development except for Core Creek County Park which is pretty big. Most of Langhorn is in Middletown township, one of the largest and most diverse but also more desireable towns in lower Bucks county. The school district is Neshaminy which is highly regarded but also large. While not exactly a posh or fancy area, Langhorn has some very upscale pockets with beautiful homes on heavily wooded lots. There are also more modest neighborhoods. Parts of Langhorn may extend into Bensalem or Lower Southamptn townships since the borders are not exact. The zip is 19047. It is pretty convenient to I-95 and there is a Septa station (cummuter rail to Philadelphia, Trenton and NYC) nearby. Also the nearby Rt 1 corrider ajoining the Oxford Valley mall is a major shopping area with branches of pretty much every chain store in the world. BTW your budget sounds pretty low for a nice 4 bedroom house. Go to www.realtor.com and use that zip 19047 with the "rent" option checked. Also be aware that there are probably a thousand areas like Langhorn in the Philly Suburbs. The website www.4wallsinphilly.com while consentrating on apartment complexes also gives an overview of many neighborhoods.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Thank you for explaining that Bryson662001...I looked on realtor.com and there is nothing for rent!? isn't that a bit odd?

Do rentals go through management companies there only? I saw the same listing 6 times on craigslist at different prices...and nothing else. Is it because everything is rented for the moment (time of year), is there a certain time when there are more on the market? if we plan on moving at school year's end in June, how long prior to that do we need to start looking for places?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,322,303 times
There are definitely things for rent in Langhorne, but certainly not under $1200.. Most single family homes rent closer to $1400-2000 a month. If you are looking for a single family home under $1200 you're going to need to go more rural towards Northern Bucks, out towards the Poconos or West towards Lancaster like you mentioned before.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Well, I can't be specific about rent because first we don't know what hubby's salary would translate too and second because I don't know yet which area has the best school program for my son. A few days ago I saw a 4/3 for $2800.... but I can't tell if that area was within the schools for him or not...I am trying to find names of communities without HOAs that are still in good school districts.

Are there any mom/dad websites that review schools and communities around Philly?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:24 PM

and of course where are the bad areas? in respect to Langhorne for example....

Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM

19,044 posts, read 15,782,616 times
Many of the schools in Bucks or the Philly burbs are very good, some among the best in the country

The Top 50 School Districts 2008 - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com

There may be a more recent ranking but this will give you an idea

Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 PM

674 posts, read 1,322,303 times
Langhorne is nice - there are not "bad" areas persay.. Neshaminy school district has won blue ribbon awards. Very good schools. Also look into Council Rock and Pennsbury schools nearby - this would include towns such as Yardley, Newtown, Richboro, Holland.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 AM

Thank you,

Can you explain this K-12? does it mean that my kids would be in the same school from 1st grade til 12? (This is how my school was back in EU) or are these private?

Thank you,

Are those towns free of HOA's? (Homeowners Association) or it will take us a long time to find one?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,519,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Thank you,

Can you explain this K-12? does it mean that my kids would be in the same school from 1st grade til 12? (This is how my school was back in EU) or are these private?

Thank you,

Are those towns free of HOA's? (Homeowners Association) or it will take us a long time to find one?
I can't answer about the schools. HOA's are not very common in Philly suburbs. You will mostly find them in gated communities, usually condo or townhouse developments that have extra amenities like a community pool etc. You hardley ever find them for single family houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia