Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times

Advertisements

Closest feel to OR and Narberth would be Wallingford/Swarthmore. Very liberal, very educated area - next would be Media which also has a walkable downtown but it's also close to Wallingford which would get my vote.

Upper Darby SD is on the way down; I would move out at least as far as Springfield or Havertown(Pilgrim Gardens in Drexel Hill goes to Haverford schools so I would recommend checking this out as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM

59 posts, read 169,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Yes me and my wife are having the same problem. Work is at upenn but finding a nice suburb that is close to work is hard. Also family in the northeast

We visited Drexel hill/upper darby last weekend its okay.Gotta do more research on schools over there.

Ardmore is next on our list to visit.
I think you will like the lower Main Line communities of Ardmore, Narberth, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Rosemont, Wayne. You can take the Paoli/Thorndale line right into Ucity 30th street station. All these communities are both walkable and driveable with lots of shopping, parks, and restaurants. Great schools overall. A good 2 bedroom is about $1500 on average. I can't say that it's exceptionally easy to get to the northeast from this location. Maybe 30 minutes if you don't go during rush hour?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Just live in Jersey, it's the best combo for commute/schools/cost of housing. PA suburbs are way too far out and the roads to get there are limited and jammed. Check out Haddon Township, Audubon, Cherry Hill, and Collingswood.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Just live in Jersey, it's the best combo for commute/schools/cost of housing. PA suburbs are way too far out and the roads to get there are limited and jammed. Check out Haddon Township, Audubon, Cherry Hill, and Collingswood.
lol

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I loled too.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
lol
Yes, it's funny. Jersey residents are always bragging about how crammed their roads are, and how they are better and tougher people because of this. Then they say "Don't move to PA because the roads are too crowded."

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM

398 posts, read 732,523 times
Well, NJ sucks and so does PA to tell you the truth, but you can take your pick. Jersey really offers the best access to Philadelphia. And I am not a Jersey person, I only live here temporarily as a student... I am just happy with my 20 to 30 minute automobile commute from a safe, clean suburb with good schools to University City. Drive 20 minutes from University City in any direction other than New Jersey and you will NOT find a safe clean suburb with good schools. The closest thing is the main line but Lancaster Avenue is only two lanes, full of lights, and congested, plus the housing there is extremely overpriced. The AFFORDABLE PA suburbs with good schools are over an hour away in rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia