Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 26,392 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Philly from Oregon! My husband got in Upenn Grad School! 2 kids (2 & 7)! Looking for a place to rent in the suburbs(2-3 years only) that is close to Uni city (not more than 30 min public trans.) with very godd school district! Pleae Help! I've looking for 3 months now! I feel lost! I searched all the cities and read all the threads but can't really figure which cities are closer to penn! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
The Lower Merion SD is just west of the city, and is excellent. Depending on where you look, it's not even 30 minutes to UC via train. Check out Narberth and Ardmore to start. Let us know what your budget is for more specifics.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM

rental budget is 1000-1600/month for 2 bedrooms! More that 1600 as long as it's close to UC and a very good SD

Old 12-10-2010, 02:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Have you considered University City itself? Sure it's in the city, but neighborhoods surrounding UPenn like Spruce Hill and Garden Court are registered historic districts with gorgeous Victorian homes from the 1860 - 1900 era on tree lined streets in a relatively safe area. The Penn-Sadie Alexander School Catchment District of Spruce Hill is the BEST school district in Philly because UPenn, Drexel, and USP all contribute to maintaining the finest materials and programs for students going there.

If you insist on living in the nearby suburbs, the best places are Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Villanova, and Radnor on "The Main Line." Beware, these lovely and desirable communities are quite posh and homes can be rather expensive!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 9,590 times
I don't have kids but I second University City! There are definitely lots of young families around, it's a beautiful neighborhood and the Penn Alexander School district is right here.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,762 times
Also check out Media, Swarthmore, and Wallingford.

The commute to Penn's campus is easy from this area.... The Media/Elwyn SEPTA regional rail line (formerly called the R3) has a stop at "University City," which is less than a half hour from either the Media, Moylan/RoseValley, Wallingford, or Swarthmore train stations. You can find the train map and schedule here: SEPTA | Regional Rail Schedules

As for school districts, the RoseTree/Media and neighboring Wallingford-Swarthmore public school systems are very good and consistently ranked near the top in the state.
Wallingford-Swarthmore School District
Rose Tree Media School District

Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 PM

LakeOswegan- I also should have mentioned that the Media / Swarthmore / Wallingford area is very family friendly. You'll find many community activities, sports programs, etc.

I put together a quick list of some of the area nursery schools in case you're looking for something for your two-year old too. Some of these listed are pricey full-time schools, but others have nice programs (like a "mom's morning out" type thing) so that kids can just get together to play with their friends.

Old Union Nursery School Old Union Nursery School, Rose Valley, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
Wallingford Co-Operative Nursery School Wallingford Co-Op Nursery School
Swarthmore Presbyterian Nursery Day School Swarthmore Presbyterian Nursery Day School (http://swarthmorepres.org/spnds.aspx - broken link)
Kehillah Early Learning Center Federation Early Learning Services :: Kehillah Early Learning Center
Media-Providence Friends School Media-Providence Friends School
The School in Rose Valley (also has an awesome summer camp) the School In Rose Valley offers a strikingly different model of how young children should be educated : School In Rose Valley
The Walden School The Walden School

Hope this helps!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 AM

I was in Philly last Saturday and toured some of the placese in Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore and Bryn Mawr. I fell in love with Narberth, it's so much like where we live right now and it' close to UC but the problem is with the train to UC from Narberth station; a train every hour!

Thanks you guys.I'll also look near UC and also in the Media area.
That was really helpful! THANKS

Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Whatt's the zipcode for Spruce Hill?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOswegan View Post
Whatt's the zipcode for Spruce Hill?
USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) says:

ZIP Codeâ„¢ Matches in SPRUCE HILL, PA
17082 (SPRUCE HILL, PA IS NOT ACCEPTABLE - USE PORT ROYAL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia