U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM

18 posts, read 18,616 times
I've been here for two years from LA and I sympathize. However, I have to say it's all based on your prospective. I've learned if someone is rude to you it doesn't have to do anything to do with you! People are caught up in their own ****.

Philly is a tough town not only to transplants but to natives as well. So if you want to bond with locals I found that the best way is through shared misery and joy. When it sucks in Philly (specially after 3 weeks of snow storms and 30 minus weather) complain about it to whoever will listen. When the weather is great (the like the first 70+ degree day in spring) go out and talk to random people about how great the weather is. You want to fit in be honest about how you feel not only on forums but in face to face conversations with total strangers without any regards to politeness.

I have to say living in Philly is a truly liberating experience. Being able to to say what you think at anytime is awesome. Embrace it instead of fighting. Otherwise this city isn't really for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,955,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwhatisup View Post
I've been here for two years from LA and I sympathize. However, I have to say it's all based on your prospective. I've learned if someone is rude to you it doesn't have to do anything to do with you! People are caught up in their own ****.

Philly is a tough town not only to transplants but to natives as well. So if you want to bond with locals I found that the best way is through shared misery and joy. When it sucks in Philly (specially after 3 weeks of snow storms and 30 minus weather) complain about it to whoever will listen. When the weather is great (the like the first 70+ degree day in spring) go out and talk to random people about how great the weather is. You want to fit in be honest about how you feel not only on forums but in face to face conversations with total strangers without any regards to politeness.

I have to say living in Philly is a truly liberating experience. Being able to to say what you think at anytime is awesome. Embrace it instead of fighting. Otherwise this city isn't really for you.
Funny enough, that's one of the things I like about Philly the most (from my fairly limited time there). I can't put up a fascade all the time. Maybe it's because I grew up in a blue collar town, but I appreciate direct, honest and efficient communication...no BS.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM

141 posts, read 130,682 times
I love that the rudeness and general disdain you get from people in this city is called "direct, honest, and efficient communication" or "real-ness" and the violence and aggressiveness of the sports fan is called "passionate".
Meanwhile, the local government, police, PPA, etc is so openly corrupt it is comical.
Philly residents are definitely passionate, unfortunately, in my opinion, it's misdirected. They are sure to vandalize the out of town, visiting team reporters car in the parking lot of the sporting venue, trash and loot Broad Street as a form of celebration and waste the work day picketing some non-union repair job, but forget trying to get rid of the politicians raping this city with things like the DROP program or try and put their foot down to the taxes, trash, and crime.

And I know Philly isn't the only place with crime, corruption, and violence at sporting events.....but I guess that makes it OK.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,955,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
I love that the rudeness and general disdain you get from people in this city is called "direct, honest, and efficient communication" or "real-ness" and the violence and aggressiveness of the sports fan is called "passionate".
Meanwhile, the local government, police, PPA, etc is so openly corrupt it is comical.
Philly residents are definitely passionate, unfortunately, in my opinion, it's misdirected. They are sure to vandalize the out of town, visiting team reporters car in the parking lot of the sporting venue, trash and loot Broad Street as a form of celebration and waste the work day picketing some non-union repair job, but forget trying to get rid of the politicians raping this city with things like the DROP program or try and put their foot down to the taxes, trash, and crime.

And I know Philly isn't the only place with crime, corruption, and violence at sporting events.....but I guess that makes it OK.
Well, I certainly know the difference between rudeness/general disdain and direct, honest, and efficient communication. Perhaps you should assume our experiences are simply different rather than assuming that I'm making excuse for people? I certainly wasn't referring to fat/drunk sports fans or corrupt politicians...I assume you were piling those points in.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

141 posts, read 130,682 times
The title of the thread was Philly rant, so I ranted. I wasn't going after anyone's specific comments. I may have used them as I read through the thread, but wasn't attempting to single anyone out.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM

15,909 posts, read 11,403,647 times
I had the opposite problem when I moved from Philly to San Francisco. People there walk around in a daze and expect to be coddled. It just isn't so. Judge Judy hit on it in a case where a driver had filed a complaint against a Police Officer who had cited him. To paraphrase her, people in California expect the Officer to give them a hug and tell them that getting a ticket doesn't make them a bad person.

If you are expecting that in Philadelphia, good luck

Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 PM

521 posts, read 700,160 times
I moved to Center City Philly from Dallas about a year ago, and while I have had a few bad interactions, I have met some amazing people here and made some really good friends at the office with whom I share activities outside of work as well now. I think this "east coast is rude" is over done sometime. Perhaps East Coast big metro areas do have more neurotic and tightly wound people who want to be left alone and let be and that comes across as being rude, but I don't see it that way.

And heck, I often say "howdy!" to people on the street and smile. Some people don't respond. Others say "hi!" back and smile. Still others, especially at stores if I get into small talk, sometimes get in small talk with me... I compliment store clerks sometime depending on my mood and yeah, sometimes they have this reaction that they totally didn't expect a good word from a customer and feel like deer in headlights. But others chat me up and smile and say thanks. Just today, had a nice interaction with a manager at Ten Thousand Villages shop.

But yeah, I felt exactly opposite about Dallas...hated it! And almost everyone says how nice and friendly people are down in Texas... sure they are to your face...but that's about it, for the most part.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 AM

5 posts, read 3,460 times
I've got a few rants and I'm a native. Many things have changed here for the worst instead of the better. For instance, nasty litterbugs have grown in abundance. And that disgusts me. I don't know what it is that would make a person drop trash in front of their own door let alone someone's else's door! I pick up chip and cookie wrappers in the morning outside of my door, and in the evening new wrappers are right back out there and dog poop! This city has gotten too lenient! There was a time when you would be fined for littering. The city used to fine you for not having trash tied up properly, and if they found a bill on the street with your name on it, you were fined. Now it's like anything goes. They have laws for this, but they don't really enforce them thoroughly like NJ does. NJ doesn't play. Have litter in front of your door all the time, you will get fined. Put your trash out early, you will get fined. Fining is the only thing that wakes some people up. When they are hit in the wallet. The other big rant of mine is people claiming public parking spaces for themselves with lawn chairs! This is really big in South Philly! They will fight people in South Philly for parking in their so-called parking space. What freaking nerve! They do this whether there is snow or not. And the cops don't really help or enforce the law. As far as rude people goes, I've been to many cities, and I've met more friendly strangers in Philly. Not to say that there are no rude jerks here too because there are. There are many cities including here where neighbors don't even speak to each other. And I think that's basically a sign of the times everywhere. People say it's due to neighbors being foreigners who can't communicate, and most people working and dealing with their everyday lives. But it wouldn't kill anyone to say hi or wave. It's just a new world full of many nonchalant and rude people, mixed with the few nice neighborly people. I don't even go out of my way anymore after speaking and not being spoken back to. Now I just speak to the ones that I know will speak back. {End of rant lol }.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 PM

1,817 posts, read 889,268 times
It seems Philly is quite the dichotomy...a playground for some,a nightmare for others of us

Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 PM

725 posts, read 406,434 times
Lol. The worst thing I see Philadelphians do is put trash cans/chairs in front of the street. So one steal their spot. Rofl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia