Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 55,833 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my early 30s. I'm beginning a new position in Princeton and I'm trying to figure out where to live.

I would love to be in an area with social opportunities that don't involve children or students. The idea of living in an expensive apartment complex along Rt. 1 doesn't really sound appealing to me.

I'm willing to spend a maximum of $1300/mo in rent (this is adjusted downward to account for the addition train expense) and I would like to keep my commute to Princeton Junction under an hour.

It seems that I would need to take the R7 to the Trenton Station, and it also seems like the journey from 30th Street Station is an hour. Are there any places heading northeast along the R7 line that would provide a short trip into the city and have a nice walkable neighborhood that a young single black female could enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
With apologies to those who might live in the communities along the R7 line, perhaps Cornwells Heights and Torresdale might come the closest to appealing to a single female. You would be in an area of Northeast Philly that is stable and middle-class but not particularly exciting for singles and not necessarily hospitable to blacks in general. Also, unless you carry $25-30 taxi fare with you when you go down to Center City, you will find yourself feeling like Cinderella when you have to catch the last train home around midnight.

IMO, the social options available in Center City for a single person would be worth the longer commute out to Princeton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFLgirl View Post
I'm a single female in my early 30s. I'm beginning a new position in Princeton and I'm trying to figure out where to live.

I would love to be in an area with social opportunities that don't involve children or students. The idea of living in an expensive apartment complex along Rt. 1 doesn't really sound appealing to me.

I'm willing to spend a maximum of $1300/mo in rent (this is adjusted downward to account for the addition train expense) and I would like to keep my commute to Princeton Junction under an hour.

It seems that I would need to take the R7 to the Trenton Station, and it also seems like the journey from 30th Street Station is an hour. Are there any places heading northeast along the R7 line that would provide a short trip into the city and have a nice walkable neighborhood that a young single black female could enjoy?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
IMO, the social options available in Center City for a single person would be worth the longer commute out to Princeton.
I totally agree!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think I came to the same conclusion sometime this morning. For an additional 20 minutes on the train I can buy myself much more city action. My schedule isn't strictly 9-5 so I would only have 3 days a week in rush hour madness.

I will also be coming with a car. Would that open up any possibilities? Does anyone know what RT 1 is like going in to Trenton? Perhaps I can drive.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Glad to hear that you decided - and newmarlig agrees - that living downtown would be worth it for you.

Northeast Philly and Bucks County have some nice neighborhoods and communities but aren't really known for any singles hotspots. The one exception might New Hope although, of course, it is expensive to live there, it's a long drive down to Center City and you might have trouble making more than platonic guy friends as it's a gay-friendly area.

I'd bet that you'd get some better answers about Rt. 1 over on the New Jersey forum.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I think I came to the same conclusion sometime this morning. For an additional 20 minutes on the train I can buy myself much more city action. My schedule isn't strictly 9-5 so I would only have 3 days a week in rush hour madness.

I will also be coming with a car. Would that open up any possibilities? Does anyone know what RT 1 is like going in to Trenton? Perhaps I can drive.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM

I'm not sure, but I would think the drive would be a nightmare. Will you absolutely need your car? In center city it can be more of a liability/expense than it's worth. You might want to look into PhillyCarShare Home.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I'm not sure, but I would think the drive would be a nightmare. Will you absolutely need your car? In center city it can be more of a liability/expense than it's worth. You might want to look into PhillyCarShare Home.
I don't absolutely need a car...unless I end up in NJ. The car is nice because sometimes I won't be finished at work until after 11:30pm and those days it would be nice to just hop in the car and drive home.

Does anyone have any opinions on the following locations:
2201 Pennsylvania Ave
Keystone Lofts (they're in NE)
Edgewater (2323 Race Street)

In terms of neighborhoods in general, how is Spring Garden?

Philly seems to have beautiful apartments, very few of them are willing to accept my sweet little dog.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't absolutely need a car...unless I end up in NJ. The car is nice because sometimes I won't be finished at work until after 11:30pm and those days it would be nice to just hop in the car and drive home.

Does anyone have any opinions on the following locations:
2201 Pennsylvania Ave
Keystone Lofts (they're in NE)
Edgewater (2323 Race Street)

In terms of neighborhoods in general, how is Spring Garden?
2201 Pennsylvania and Edgewater would be good choices. I know nothing about Keystone Lofts. Have you looked at Delaire Landing? It's a lovely gated community in the Northeast and single people do live there. They have a shuttle bus to the R7 train.

Spring Garden a/k/a The Parkway a/k/a Logan Square would be a very good choice as well.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Have you looked at Delaire Landing? It's a lovely gated community in the Northeast and single people do live there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just gave them a call and they have a long waiting list with the first vacancy expected in October. Their rents start at $750 a month. No wonder the wait is so long.

I'll be in town tomorrow through Saturday to look at units. If anyone has more suggestion, keep 'em coming.

Thanks for all of the help so far

Old 07-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Too bad about Delaire, but I would check craigslist for Delaire Landing. They are condo's and some of the units might be available for private rental through the owners rather than through Delaire itself.

Also look into Baker's Bay. They are close to Delaire. I don't know as much about them, but they seem similar. They are also condo's but may have some units available for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: