Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
Uhhh, how about Mt Airy, Chestnut Hill, about half of Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough, Manayunk, University City, Graduate Hospital, Fishtown, Fox Chase, East Oak Lane. You either haven't spent too much time in these neighborhoods, or dropped them off your list to prove your point. All of these are vital neighborhoods that certainly adds to the vibrancy of Philadelphia. I'm in these laces most of my time and can't think of a single "Negadelphia" incident.
Yeah - they're are certainly a lot of depressing places in Philadelphia, but there are also a lot of good vibrant places to live. I, myself, found an apartment in Center City just because I happened to find an amazing deal that was cheaper than a bunch of places I looked at outside of Center City, so I couldn't really pass it up. But since moving here, I've discovered so many neighborhoods that I'd love to live in if/when my rent goes up.

As for SEPTA - most cities don't even have an El, so there's no reason to discount that, saying it's "only good for people who live near it". What i'm really impressed at with SEPTA is the "transit hub" type system they have set up, That between the Frankford, Upper Darby, Olney, and Norristown transit centers - all sections of the city are connected pretty well. Beside the Far Northeast, what's the farthest anybody really has to take a bus to get to a train? Sure, it would be nice if there were trains and subways all over the city, but that would require much more of an interest in transit than society has right now. Plus, there are a ton of buses that run 24 hours a day, which really make life more livable for people who don't have a car, but happen to work overnight. In the Twin Cities, there were 2 buses that ran all night - one ran from the Mall of America (southern suburbs) to the northern suburbs...basically in the exact center of the city. And the other one ran from downtown Minneapolis to Downtown Saint Paul once an hour...basically right through the middle of the city again. From my experience taking these buses...they were simply mobile homeless shelters. I'm assuming there are homeless people on SEPTA's buses overnight too...but with 25 running all night, I'm also guessing people are using them. I'm still job searching since moving here, but I like the fact that I can apply to jobs on any shift, depending on location of course, which I wouldn't be able to do a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
My experience has been that the Negadelphian is often Blue collar, mostly white, and usually has been here all his life. These people tend to be the ones who pine for Rizzo and often have a codedly racial/cultrual tinge to their lament.

Philadelphia does have amazing assets and a seemingly solid future (in the central areas anyway). What bothers me more than anything about this area is the people. Generally thuggish and ignorant and not very interested in trying to see the world around them. The transplants, IMHO, often move straight into the gentrified areas and don't always get the whole picture.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Thanks guys

We need less doom and gloom on this forum.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Eh, they're just miserable people in general. They're the same folks who are discontented with their own lives and find it easier to drag others down to their level than pull themselves up to a better place.

In my opinion, income and education levels also seem to come into play somewhat. Sure, if you're an out-of-work union guy who can barely afford his NE rowhome, yeah, you're going to be pretty cranky. I hate to stereotype, but if you go back and read the posts from haters vs. those from supporters of our city, you can tell a distinct difference in the verbiage used.
well you can call me a negadelphian. I am white collar make well in the 6 digits every year.. So there goes your theory. I LOVE where we are in Jersey now.. Great neighborhood.. clean, safe, great people, no parking issues... Loving life.. I am not dragging anyone down by telling the truth about my almost 50 years of Philadelphia experience.. I just want to warn others so that they too won't live a miserable life in Philly.. Like we did.. Is that wrong? Sometimes the etruth is painful.. but may help others. Which is a good thing

Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Plenty of white collar people are miserable too.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
If the reason people don't like a city is basically because they don't like living in cities, I'm not sure that those are really the best people to be giving "helpful" advice about living in that city.
But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM

ask yourself this... And be honest. If tomorrow you won the multi million lottery, would you stay where you are now or move to another place? I would stay right where we are now and maybe add on a garage or two and a deck.. If you are honest with yourself I'll bet most in Philly would move out..

Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 AM

118 posts, read 283,826 times
Philadelphia has so much too offer. Unfortunately, a lot has been taken for granted by those who have spent generations here. We are in a great spot between two other major metro cities - NYC and DC. Unlike them, we still have very affordable housing, (many with GREEN GRASS), great shopping, entertainment and dining venues and all of the history that you could want.

It's easy to be a complainer...keep up your good work as a champion for Phila. One of these days we will again be a city of champions!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
ask yourself this... And be honest. If tomorrow you won the multi million lottery, would you stay where you are now or move to another place? I would stay right where we are now and maybe add on a garage or two and a deck.. If you are honest with yourself I'll bet most in Philly would move out..
I would actually move out of NJ and buy a brownstone in Rittenhouse Square (with a garage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I am not dragging anyone down by telling the truth about my almost 50 years of Philadelphia experience.. I just want to warn others so that they too won't live a miserable life in Philly.. Like we did.. Is that wrong? Sometimes the etruth is painful.. but may help others. Which is a good thing
I think the problem with the "truth" is that it's a mix of truth/opinion/perception. I'm sure Philly was a bad fit for you and what you wanted out of life. But similarly a suburb in South NJ may be a really bad fit and make someone else miserable. Each area brings with it good and bad; most areas are not entirely one or the other. It is up to the individual to look at the good + bad and decide what works best for their life given their lifestyle, values, and preferences.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM

and you live in Blue Bell. Ironic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmxcarol View Post
Philadelphia has so much too offer. Unfortunately, a lot has been taken for granted by those who have spent generations here. We are in a great spot between two other major metro cities - NYC and DC. Unlike them, we still have very affordable housing, (many with GREEN GRASS), great shopping, entertainment and dining venues and all of the history that you could want.

It's easy to be a complainer...keep up your good work as a champion for Phila. One of these days we will again be a city of champions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia