U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM

74 posts, read 210,404 times

Advertisements

I will be in Philly for a real quick trip. I am looking for advice on where to go for nice skyline views of downtown for some photos. I am assuming I need to go somewhere near the river? I'd also like to get some nice views of the Ben Franklin bridge. Any tips for some quick photos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,224,290 times
From the top of the Art Museum steps or the Spring Garden Bridge. You could also walk back into Fairmount Park a bit and try from the tops of the hills/cliffs along the river up towards the Girard Bridge. I can't give you specific directions for back there though, you'll just have to explore or consult a map (or somebody more knowledgeable than I).

The Benjamin Franklin Bridge you could probably get a good angle from down around Penn's Landing or along Columbus Blvd. somewhere... or Camden... if you want to go to Camden...

Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,328,149 times
The very best shots are NOT from the Ben Franklin bridge or from the Delaware River, if it's the skyline you want.

The best views are from the Schuykill River.

Two awesome skylines views can be had from the South Street Bridge near the University of Pennsylvania. My favorite view is from the new little park known as "Drexel Green" next to Drexel University at 32nd Street and Baring Street. From there you can almost reach out and touch the skyline and every skyscraper is unobstructed - the Liberty Place I and II, the Mellon, the Comcast Center, the Cira, etc.

The Philly skyline from the Schuykill River:

Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,459 times
Default Belmont Plateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhuut View Post
I will be in Philly for a real quick trip. I am looking for advice on where to go for nice skyline views of downtown for some photos. I am assuming I need to go somewhere near the river? I'd also like to get some nice views of the Ben Franklin bridge. Any tips for some quick photos?
If you'll be renting a car, it'd be worth your while to go to Belmont Plateau in Fairmount Park: Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2589/4125559043_19b1f7dc6f_b.jpg It's about a 10-15 minute drive from Center City (from, say, around City Hall). The only drawback is that the Ben Franklin Bridge is not visible.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,224,290 times
That's right! Belmont Plateau, I couldn't remember the name of it.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
I love the view from the spring garden street bridge

Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,203,309 times
check this site, provided its not an enemy of CD

Philadelphia - aerials, night, and more - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,386,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The very best shots are NOT from the Ben Franklin bridge or from the Delaware River, if it's the skyline you want.

The best views are from the Schuykill River.

Two awesome skylines views can be had from the South Street Bridge near the University of Pennsylvania. My favorite view is from the new little park known as "Drexel Green" next to Drexel University at 32nd Street and Baring Street. From there you can almost reach out and touch the skyline and every skyscraper is unobstructed - the Liberty Place I and II, the Mellon, the Comcast Center, the Cira, etc.

The Philly skyline from the Schuykill River:
wow I used to live right there! I used to tell people it was the beat view of the sky line. Of couse when I lived there the place looked like **** and that park was a fenced in parking lot.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,555,668 times
Wow you do get around. Are you touring every city in the country?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
wow I used to live right there! I used to tell people it was the beat view of the sky line. Of couse when I lived there the place looked like **** and that park was a fenced in parking lot.
yeah - they've done a lot to that area ...... even the "rape garden" is passable now and is not just something to joke about when discussing the PVCAs civic pride and contribution to the neighborhood.....

I lived in the apartments near the art museum for a while and would make that walk across the spring garden street bridge frequently and the view was great

Also agree about the south street bridge - different angle, but nice shot .... would never really walk across the bridges by Penn, but would drive over them semi-frequently

Also, one of the best views you can get in the city is during a summer rain storm .... stand on the art museum steps, look down the parkway with all the flags, the fountains, etc .... look up to city hall and see Ben Franklin peeing on the building (yeah, I know what's really in his hand, but from that very prominent angle with a little bit of cloud cover and a lot of rain it sure does look like something else altogether)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia