U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 PM

10,395 posts, read 16,688,540 times

Advertisements

Susan, You are right New Tripoli is a very rural area, pretty, but rural. I just wanted to point out that another option for you (and probably a hundred thousand dollar savings) would be to look into Emmaus. Emmaus is just as nice as most of the smaller towns in Bucks county Emmaus Main Street Program - Home (http://www.emmausmainstreet.com/home2.htm - broken link)

However, if you can afford it, Doylestown is a great choice!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 AM

13,497 posts, read 12,064,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Susan, You are right New Tripoli is a very rural area, pretty, but rural. I just wanted to point out that another option for you (and probably a hundred thousand dollar savings) would be to look into Emmaus. Emmaus is just as nice as most of the smaller towns in Bucks county Emmaus Main Street Program - Home (http://www.emmausmainstreet.com/home2.htm - broken link)

However, if you can afford it, Doylestown is a great choice!
I agree, Bucks County is one of the highest taxed areas...however, there is also much to show for it, if you can afford it...

My sister has a beautiful home right on the river in Lumberton on the Pennsy side...very rural, again, there are no Wegman's, however, there is, always a trade off...Lumberton is a quiet little community teaming with so much to do, as New Hope and Doylestown are near by, but very expensive, as is Tinicum Township....however, the beauty there in summer, is unmatched, as well as Skippack....and the history...nice resturants, along the river, walking and bike paths...there is to, always something going on in New Hope, very Artsy...

And as a poster said, Doylestown is quaint...always community events and celebrations going on, to me, Doylestown has come a long way, and like a small New Hope in Many ways...and New Hope is not far...many many things to do...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,199,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
The only two Wegmans in this general area are those mentioned above - I live in Yardley and it takes 15 minutes to get to Wegmans in Princeton if there is no traffic. If you live in Doylestown, you will have Wegmans in Warrington, which is about 10-15 minutes down 611, again depending on traffic.

Although.. I am sure you are not basing your move solely on Wegmans

As for resale value/school districts, you can't go wrong with anywhere in Central Bucks or Council Rock. So you are dead on when you state Doylestown or Newtown as possbilities. From how you describe yourselves, I think you might really enjoy Newtown, especially the area near the Boro.
I would! HAHA! Just visited friends in my old hometown of Doylestown and HAD to stop at the Warrington Wegman's before heading back to the shore (where I currently reside). We are considering a move back to Bucks County and are looking at the Newtown/Yardley area as one possibility. Believe me, I mapped the route to the nearest Wegmans!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 AM

674 posts, read 1,354,509 times
Too funny! I live in Yardley and work in Langhorne and I actually called Wegmans corporate the other day to try to get them to buy some vacant land here to build on...They said they have no plans to come to our area, as they feel there is too much competition. I told them the competition they speak of are chain stores like Superfresh, Giant and Acme - thats no competition for a Wegmans! Oh well

Old 06-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Too funny! I live in Yardley and work in Langhorne and I actually called Wegmans corporate the other day to try to get them to buy some vacant land here to build on...They said they have no plans to come to our area, as they feel there is too much competition. I told them the competition they speak of are chain stores like Superfresh, Giant and Acme - thats no competition for a Wegmans! Oh well
yanno, I'm thinking, and could very well be wrong, but Wegman's is a much higher end store...so maybe it's not so much the competition as much as they prefer to inhabit higher end areas, bigger homes, corporate clients...yanno? I don't know, around where I live, that is what it seems like to me, that Wegmans chooses to set up house in areas that are well to do...?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,008,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno, I'm thinking, and could very well be wrong, but Wegman's is a much higher end store...so maybe it's not so much the competition as much as they prefer to inhabit higher end areas, bigger homes, corporate clients...yanno? I don't know, around where I live, that is what it seems like to me, that Wegmans chooses to set up house in areas that are well to do...?
Definitely true. Wegmans also realizes that people are willing to travel from miles around to get there, so they won't put two stores close together.

(Different story in their home market of Western NY though- they operate more like a normal supermarket there.)

Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
pcity

(Different story in their home market of Western NY though- they operate more like a normal supermarket there.)
[/quote]

Hmmm, live and learn, that really surprises me, I had no idea...actually thought they were all managed alike, but it makes sense, yanno?

thanks
Creme

Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 PM

674 posts, read 1,354,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thats my point... Yardley and Newtown are full of 500k homes, high end clients, etc... They'd have no competition because they would be our only high end supermarket.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 PM

756 posts, read 976,688 times
Quote:
There isn't Whole Foods in that area either. I want to have one of them there. It'd be bad news for Genuardi's/Safeway which also has locations, for a Wegmans especially.

I'd think the Oxford Valley Mall location, specifically the site where Boscov's used to be could be redeveloped for a Wegmans.

Comparison is the nice Whole Foods in the Plymouth Meeting Mall area.

One issue is that the former S&C/Boscov site doesn't have direct highway facing visibility, which is an issue for all of Oxford Valley Mall really, but it maybe impeding on redevelopment. Retailers generally want to have that visibility. The primary reason B&N went to Neshaminy is it got an external entrance and one that is major road/highway facing as well.

Last edited by avg12; 06-25-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia