Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,303 times

Advertisements

We have lived in the Western part of Lehigh County for the last 5 years and have decided that it is time to move for a variety of reasons. There are many fast food chain type restaurants here-very few good reasonable restaurants. The truck traffic has gotten much worse, as have traffic accidents. While the valley is very pretty and has scenic views, most of the locals are resentful of "outsiders". There is no downtown area. There are too many signs in another language.
We are both retired so although the quality of the school district is important for resale value it is not our prime reason for finding the right neighborhood for us. We want to be near to shopping-- especially a Wegmans!, good health care, and be able to walk with our dogs in our neighborhood, an upscale newer house-not with an association.
What towns should we consider?? We have heard that Newtown, Plumstead and maybe Doylestown would be good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
I think you'd get more replies from locals if you moved your post to the Philadelphia forum.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM

ok--thanks!!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Susan, Not sure where you live in the Lehigh Valley but I live in Coopersburg and don't quite know what you are talking about with the prevalence of non-English signs, lack of a downtown, etc. If you lived in any of the towns surrounding Allentown, Bethlehem or Easton, you would have everything you want and we do have two Wegmans in the Valley. We moved here 13 years ago and have never met friendlier people, and we've lived in three counties surrounding Philadelphia. I can see the draw to live in Doylestown, it's a great town, but I don't think it has a Wegmans

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I live in lower Bucks County, and our nearest Wegmans is over in NJ on Route One near Princeton/West Windsor. About 20 minutes, but worth the trip!

You would get better responses if you mentioned your price range for houses and your needs with regard to school district. Our towns vary greatly.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 PM

203 posts, read 597,135 times
There's a Wegmans in Warrington which isn't far at all from Doylestown.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
The only two Wegmans in this general area are those mentioned above - I live in Yardley and it takes 15 minutes to get to Wegmans in Princeton if there is no traffic. If you live in Doylestown, you will have Wegmans in Warrington, which is about 10-15 minutes down 611, again depending on traffic.

Although.. I am sure you are not basing your move solely on Wegmans

As for resale value/school districts, you can't go wrong with anywhere in Central Bucks or Council Rock. So you are dead on when you state Doylestown or Newtown as possbilities. From how you describe yourselves, I think you might really enjoy Newtown, especially the area near the Boro.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM

too busy today---New Tripoli is on the Western end of Lehigh County-lots of farms, very pretty,friendly people, no downtown, very different from Coopersberg. Shopping in Whitehall or much of Allentown has become very dangerous--most of the incidents are not going to be in the Morning Call. Restaurants are plenty if you like fast food from chain stores.
We are going to Central Bucks with a broker to decide which area would be best for us.....

Old 01-14-2011, 02:57 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan F. View Post
We have lived in the Western part of Lehigh County for the last 5 years and have decided that it is time to move for a variety of reasons. There are many fast food chain type restaurants here-very few good reasonable restaurants. The truck traffic has gotten much worse, as have traffic accidents. While the valley is very pretty and has scenic views, most of the locals are resentful of "outsiders". There is no downtown area. There are too many signs in another language.
We are both retired so although the quality of the school district is important for resale value it is not our prime reason for finding the right neighborhood for us. We want to be near to shopping-- especially a Wegmans!, good health care, and be able to walk with our dogs in our neighborhood, an upscale newer house-not with an association.
What towns should we consider?? We have heard that Newtown, Plumstead and maybe Doylestown would be good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Doylestown and Plumsteadville are good choices....also Feasterville, if you like the country...or areas near New Hope...

Another very lovely serene area is Tinicum Township, right down the road from New Hope, extremely high end...and just quaint and quiet, along the Delaware River....

http://www.tinicumtownshipdelco.com/...p/history.html

New Hope
http://www.delawareandlehigh.org/ind...owns/new-hope/

has many interesting shops and resturants...you might want to take the time before you move and visit these areas...talk to people and perhaps even take weekend trips....

Skippack is a very lovely area...very nice area, but rural with a lot of upscale resturants and shopping near by. I frequent Skippack, New Hope and Doylestown and love them all, but as far as living, I'd choose, Skippack or Hunt

http://www.bestofskippack.com/

http://skippackrestaurants.com/

Good Luck, you must go visit these area before you decide.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 01-14-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,291 times
I grew up in Plumsteadville. It has a great small town feel to it. No Wegman's close by, but Doylestown is only 6 miles away. Country living. There is a Giant and WaWa and 2 small shopping centers.
I have lived in Doylestown also. I loved it. There is a lot of art,restaurants,the county seat,museums,etc. Always a lot going on. Doylestown is great because it is so close to everything. If you live in town you can walk to just about anything. Train station,etc. And the people are wonderful and friendly. I agree with the previous poster that you should probably take a weekend and check it out before you move. Also, it seems like everyone is always wallking their dog(s) there. Doylestown Hospital is there for healthcare and there is also The Wellness Center(?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia