U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,519,933 times
The part of I-76 with the bad reputation is west of Center City. I-76 from Center City south and east toward the airport is pretty fool proof because even on those rare occasions when it's blocked there are several alternates. It is often better than I-95, especially lately. Also you have to decide where you are going to park your car in CC and if it's street parking then where is it easiest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,244,964 times
What am I missing? I think getting from the Expressway to 95 is a pain. If I'm going east, I have to get off the Expressway on the left-hand side, come to a light, make a right and go over the Platt Bridge, THEN get on 95 south. Is there some foolproof way I don't know about?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,519,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
What am I missing? I think getting from the Expressway to 95 is a pain. If I'm going east, I have to get off the Expressway on the left-hand side, come to a light, make a right and go over the Platt Bridge, THEN get on 95 south. Is there some foolproof way I don't know about?
That's the quickest and easiest way and it's clear 98% of the time but if it's blocked you can also exit 76 at Passunk Av and turn right onto Passunk/Enterprise av past the auto mall then right on Bartrum to 95. It takes 5 minutes longer but it's always clear. (There are other alternates but they are seldom needed) This is all assuming that you are coming from the west side of center city. if you are on the east side and use I-95 you are pretty much stuck with the girard point bridge. In a real emergancy you could exit 95 at Packer av or Broad and take pattison av over to penrose and the platt bridge. As someone who used to drive from CC to the airport for a living, I would much rather take my chances from the west and 76 then on 95, and that's in either direction at any time of day.

Last edited by bryson662001; 01-22-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRisk View Post
Hi All,
I will be starting a new job at the Wharf at Rivertown facility (PPL Soccer Statdium, the old/refurbished Delaware County Power Plant) in Chester, PA. I am almost certain that I want to live in Philadelphia. The neighborhoods I am considering are (from North to South):
Northern Liberties
Olde City
Washington Square West
Rittenhouse Square
Society Hill
Queen Village
Bella Vista

You can easily figure out the theme here: Young Professionals, Coffee Bars, Restaurants, etc.

In a parallel universe with no rush hour traffic, it would take about 30 minutes to get from almost anywhere in Center City Philly to Chester. However, I am trying to be realistic about what the traffic will be like. And, I do realize that I will be basically going in the opposite direction of the morning rush hour.

As far as I can tell, it is better to live in a neighborhood that borders 95 (like Northern Liberties, Society Hill, Queen Village, Bella Vista, etc.) instead of 76 (like the Art Museum) because it would be better during the morning rush hour (heading south from Center City).

So, with all of that said, would one neighborhood be better than another from a traffic perspective?

Also, I am all ears with any other thoughts about any of these neighborhoods or any other. And, if anyone has any recs for places in Delaware County for a young single man, again, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever choose a neighborhood? I am in the EXACT same situtation, same building, and am considering the same neighborhoods. I'm currently commuting from Delaware but I'd much rather move back to Philly or possible Delco.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmFrenchToast View Post
Did you ever choose a neighborhood? I am in the EXACT same situtation, same building, and am considering the same neighborhoods. I'm currently commuting from Delaware but I'd much rather move back to Philly or possible Delco.
Unfortunately, it does not appear that the OP(Original Poster) has been here for almost two years. The suggestions given are certainly still valid.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia