U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM

35 posts, read 118,327 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am currently living in central NJ, and have the possibility to relocate to Philly. From the discussions in the forum I have a good idea of neighborhoods, so I started looking houses online, ideally an old 4 bedroom. I then realized that heating in many is by electrical baseboard. Very few have forced air (the usual thing here in NJ). Also some quote water heater as electrical too! I know it is a "Duh!" moment, I should have expected this in old houses. I am now concerned with the monthly heating bill. Can someone share their experience? Also, any advise what to look for in this regard? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,584,871 times
old 4 bedroom home with all electric heat? Oh boy are you gonna be walking around with heavy jackets on inside. This bill may kill you.. How big is the home?.. BTW we had forced air in Philly. Its very common. I have no idea who told you otherwise.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,945,432 times
Yeah, seconding what frank said, I have forced air as well - and actually have never had forced air anywhere but Philadelphia. I like it a lot. I would think you could easily avoid electric baseboard heating if you wanted to - as the opposite of what you said is much more likely to be true: they are more common in new houses, and houses that were renovated recently, as opposed to older homes built before they were invented.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM

518 posts, read 932,021 times
We have forced air heat (gas) in an old home. First winter here and we are shocked at the utility bill and the house isn't even toasty. Old windows are also a factor and we don't even have a fireplace, which is unusual.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 19,584,871 times
great point raincoat. forced air was 1950's on.. Before it was hot water radiators.. Mostly newer homes have electric baseboard heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Yeah, seconding what frank said, I have forced air as well - and actually have never had forced air anywhere but Philadelphia. I like it a lot. I would think you could easily avoid electric baseboard heating if you wanted to - as the opposite of what you said is much more likely to be true: they are more common in new houses, and houses that were renovated recently, as opposed to older homes built before they were invented.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 PM

35 posts, read 118,327 times
Thaks for the comments! You all give me hope that I will find forced air heating if I just look a bit more. Yep, the house I was thinking of was recently renovated, and is perhaphouses s an example of what FamousBlueRaincoat says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia