Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Here we go again. Twisting the truth to make some kind of bizarre point.
Zip codes lump areas together - the good with bad. We own a house in Rittenhouse and that is not our zip code. Rittenhouse area is NOT way above average for crime for Center City Philadelphia. It is one of the very safest areas of CC Philadelphia.

It does't matter how it compares to a random New Jersey suburb. I was quite clear that I was talking about CENTER CITY in my post.
it should be no surprise to most people with half a brain that crime will be higher in more densly populated areas so OF COURSE city (any city) crime will be higher than that of most suburbs. That's just stating the obvious. Yet there still seems to be a national trend of moving away from the boring burbs back to the city where there's actually stuff to do!
there no twisting of anything. These are not stats, they are facts.. Whether you choose to believe them of not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
there no twisting of anything. These are not stats, they are facts.. Whether you choose to believe them of not..
Could you at least post the right zip code(s) before you state that Rittenhouse is above average for crime?

Also instead of contradicting my post perhaps you could have read it first? Or do you claim that Rittenhouse is above average for crime WITHIN Center City which was what my post stated?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Could you at least post the right zip code(s) before you state that Rittenhouse is above average for crime?

Also instead of contradicting my post perhaps you could have read it first? Or do you claim that Rittenhouse is above average for crime WITHIN Center City which was what my post stated?

oh sorry... Let me have the correct zip if you want and Ill repost.. I was not contradicting you.. sorry it came across like that. I too was shocked at the crime stats of Rittenhouse and 19114 too just like you.. I know those areas are safe as far as the city goes so I was like "waaaaa?" too

Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,617 times

Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
The zip is 19103 but while it includes the most exclusive and expensive neighborhoods in Philadelphia, it also includes the bar area from Chestnut St and all the way south to below Vine which is definitely not 'Rittenhouse'.

So as mentioned by several people, in a city, zip code is not necessarily a good way to gauge pretty much anything. It's the same with home appraisals - you can't compare a house at 22nd and Vine with a house at 21st and Delancey streets even though they have the same zip code. Even a few blocks can make all the difference in a city, and zip codes simply do not take that into account.

So I stand by my statement. The safest area to live in Center City Philadelphia is the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
This link below goes directly to what is considered the Rittenhouse neighborhood in 19103 - from CD (pretty cool stuff)

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...elphia-PA.html

You can actually go all the way to the census tract

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/zips/19103.html#ixzz1Cq2KZJXP

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
On the above link I thought it was interesting that more people have no bedrooms in their place in Rittenhouse (assuming studios) than have 2 or more

Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Here's 19103. Make sure you click the 19103 zip code at the top to get that zip code.

Philadelphia Art Museum Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

and 19128

Philadelphia Manayunk Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Here's 19103. Make sure you click the 19103 zip code at the top to get that zip code.

Philadelphia Art Museum Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

and 19128

Philadelphia Manayunk Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics
http://www.philaplanning.org/graphics/zipcode2004.pdf (broken link)

Stop posting these statistics until you show people exactly what areas you're referring to. The zip codes don't line up with any traditional neighborhood boundary you refer to them as. They're really meaningless to the question OP asked, which was what were the safest neighborhoods.

The Philadelphia Police Dept has a really good crime map if you want the crime stats. It allows you to pick an address and zoom in and out of that address, so you can scroll around and see what level of crime you'd be dealing with in a fluid manner, not random numbers generated by cutting polygonal shapes out of a map of Philadelphia.

Here's the link:
http://citymaps.phila.gov/CrimeMap/StepByStep.aspx

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM

The zip code denote what the areas are.. Sorry if you don't like it... People asked about those zip codes thats all.. Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
http://www.philaplanning.org/graphics/zipcode2004.pdf (broken link)

Stop posting these statistics until you show people exactly what areas you're referring to. The zip codes don't line up with any traditional neighborhood boundary you refer to them as. They're really meaningless to the question OP asked, which was what were the safest neighborhoods.

The Philadelphia Police Dept has a really good crime map if you want the crime stats. It allows you to pick an address and zoom in and out of that address, so you can scroll around and see what level of crime you'd be dealing with in a fluid manner, not random numbers generated by cutting polygonal shapes out of a map of Philadelphia.

Here's the link:
Search Crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia