U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 AM

173 posts, read 183,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Don't you mean NASL, MSL, and several other soccer leagues that went under? Atoms, Fury, Fever, Kicks, and so on.

If we are keeping score it is 4-0 in favor of failed Philly soccer teams. Your reasoning of why the team will make it is the current team and current league has not yet gone under.
Oops! I don't know what the MSL is, but the MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) and its current Philadelphia franchise, the Kixx, are both still in business (though the current MISL is newer than its Philly franchise).

The Kixx play their home games at Temple's Liacouras Center.

A quick tour of Web sites (including Wikipedia) reveals that the Atoms lasted three seasons (1973-76) in the NASL, the Fury two (1978-80), and the Fever five (1978-82) in the first MISL before moving to LA, where they later died. The current MISL is the third league to use that name and is in its second season; the Kixx, however, are in their 15th season, having been founded as a National Professional Soccer League (indoor) franchise, then moving to the second MISL along with five other NPSL teams when that league disbanded after 16 seasons in 2001; they now play in the third MISL.

So the score is 3-1, not 4-0, and the one team, though it draws fewer than 10,000 fans per game, is apparently well established. It's been 20 years since pro outdoor soccer has been played here, and a lot can happen in 20 years -- just look around Center City for evidence of that.

Edited to add: I will allow, however, that pro soccer as a spectator sport has had a difficult time establishing a solid beachhead in the United States, where we play a game of "football" that is closer to rugby than soccer in spirit. But the sport has experienced tremendous growth at the amateur level -- I think it now outranks both baseball and football in terms of youth league participation -- and that should lead to greater growth and stability for the pro game as more Americans understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 AM

2,784 posts, read 4,485,086 times
Quote:
When the soccer team goes under the stadium could have then been used by Temple football and other local teams.
What they should've done was allowed us (Temple) to build our 35,000 seat stadium on campus and made it multi-use for the Union, etc.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,673,950 times
Quote:
the new stadium which is miles from the city will be sitting empty. That is why the stadium should have been in the city. When the soccer team goes under the stadium could have then been used by Temple football and other local teams.
I agree Chester is simply too far from the city. I will say it again that building it at Temple or on the Camden Waterfront would have been much more useful for the city and for the metro area.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM

388 posts, read 676,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree Chester is simply too far from the city. I will say it again that building it at Temple or on the Camden Waterfront would have been much more useful for the city and for the metro area.

I don't agree with the Camden Waterfront but I can think of at least 3 spots for a stadium in the city.

1. North Broad(Temple campus) at the empty William Penn HS. There is the BSL and the Liacouras parking garage.

2. South Broad at the Navy Yard. It would just be an addition to the existion sports complex.

3. This one is outside the box but hear me out.

Who follows European soccer? I don't know anything about it but I saw a story about a game in England or Scotland maybe. There was like 60,000 people all walking to the game and standing outside the stadium. Then they showed all the neighborhood pubs and bars were packed with fans. I probably will never go to a game in Chester but if there were somewhere in the city where I could go to a bunch of bars or restaurants then I would definitley go just for the atmousphere. It would be like the Manayunk bike race or the Dad Veil Regatta. I don't know anything about either sport but I go for the party.

My site would be Germantown Ave at the old Spring Garden College. That site is directly between the R7 and R8. It is next to Chestnut Hill but probably Mt Airy. The bars and restaurants would be packed on game day. I don't think they would draw enough to cause problems for the neighborhood but enough to be a windfall for the merchants.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with the Camden Waterfront
The Camden Waterfront is closer and more convienient to Center City than any of the locations you mentioned. Sports fans would have access via the Patco line and the Ferry. This is why the Susquahanna bank center has been so successful.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The Camden Waterfront is closer and more convienient to Center City than any of the locations you mentioned. Sports fans would have access via the Patco line and the Ferry. This is why the Susquahanna bank center has been so successful.
True but Pa is putting up some of the money. That right there rules out NJ. Their goal is to improve Pa.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
True but Pa is putting up some of the money. That right there rules out NJ. Their goal is to improve Pa.
However, I think Philadelphia, especially Old City would benefit greatly from a major sports stadium being directly accross the river on the Camden Waterfront, especially in hotel and food and liquor sales. Just like they benefit now from the Susquahanna Center. I just don't see how a stadium in Chester benefit's the actual city of Philadelphia.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,390,479 times
The team was originally looking at Glassboro for the stadium site so the state isn't that important.
The Camden Waterfront would be an OK location but, IMO, it doesn't need any more of that. What it needs right now is a hotel, more office space, more condos and the shops that follow.

On another note - I emailed the Union through their website and received a reply 9 minutes later. They said that they are currently working with SEPTA on a shuttle route for the new stadium.

I'm psyched.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
They said that they are currently working with SEPTA on a shuttle route for the new stadium.
The Chester Stadium needs to have public transportation so that is great news.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
The team was originally looking at Glassboro for the stadium site so the state isn't that important.
The Camden Waterfront would be an OK location but, IMO, it doesn't need any more of that. What it needs right now is a hotel, more office space, more condos and the shops that follow.

On another note - I emailed the Union through their website and received a reply 9 minutes later. They said that they are currently working with SEPTA on a shuttle route for the new stadium.

I'm psyched.

The state is not important to the team but once Pennsylvania put up money then the state is important. You didn't see the team turn down the money and build in jersey did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia