Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Public transit to PPL Field:[/b] Highland Avenue is actually a little less convenient to the stadium site than Chester Transportation Center. Bus Route 113 (69th Street Terminal to Tri-State Mall via Chester and Marcus Hook) runs past the stadium site and connects with (R2) Wilmington/Newark trains at Chester Transportation Center. I assume SEPTA could add special stadium shuttle bus service on game days as well.
That would be terrible. Take a bus or subway to Center City, get on the R2, then wait up to an hour for the 113? I'll take the certainty of the 20 minute walk from Highland Ave.

I'd prefer an express bus from South Philly or Center City. If they're going to go through the trouble of adding extra service on the 113 for people coming off of the R2 from Center City (the trains from Wilmington only run every other hour on Saturdays) why not just run the buses direct from CC, charge a RR fare, and not put people through a 3-seat ride.

SEPTA doesn't make people take the 10 trolley out to West Philly then shuttle them to the Mann. They run a bus through Center City and express people out to their concert . . . and they charge appropriately for the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
That would be terrible. Take a bus or subway to Center City, get on the R2, then wait up to an hour for the 113? I'll take the certainty of the 20 minute walk from Highland Ave.

I'd prefer an express bus from South Philly or Center City. If they're going to go through the trouble of adding extra service on the 113 for people coming off of the R2 from Center City (the trains from Wilmington only run every other hour on Saturdays) why not just run the buses direct from CC, charge a RR fare, and not put people through a 3-seat ride.

SEPTA doesn't make people take the 10 trolley out to West Philly then shuttle them to the Mann. They run a bus through Center City and express people out to their concert . . . and they charge appropriately for the service.
Like i said before there is abandoned RR , nearby that loops onto the NEC , septa could reactivate that and use it.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Like i said before there is abandoned RR , nearby that loops onto the NEC , septa could reactivate that and use it.
If you're paying then i'm all for it.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
If you're paying then i'm all for it.
Well , they can ask for sum Federal $$$ , because buses won't help re-leave the masses that will come. Rail is the only option that can do that , then buses.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
I stand behind the post. People in N. Philly have so little juice they can't even get a Wawa built. Most neighborhoods in N. Philly don't even have grocery stores.
Last I looked, Pathmark was a supermarket. The chain's had a store at North Philadelphia Station since 2002 or thereabouts.

You may have heard that the First Lady paid a visit to a supermarket in Philadelphia a month or so ago. That supermarket was the new Freshgrocer that finally replaced the long-shuttered Super Fresh in Progress Plaza.

North Philadelphia as a whole remains underserved by supermarkets, true, but perhaps I should have been more specific: I was referring to the North Philadelphia Council district represented by Darrell Clarke since the previous councilman, John Street, resigned to run successfully for mayor. That district includes Temple University and both of the supermarkets above.

Seems to me like that would qualify as some juice -- as I said before, not necessarily enough to stop Temple in its tracks, but enough to make life difficult for the school if its plans sparked major neighborhood opposition.

Quote:
The Union does not need a bigger stadium. If the owner really thinks that then he is clueless. The attendence will dropoff.
Maybe, if most of those fans were there for the novelty factor, and maybe even by 50 percent (the difference between the attendance at the Linc and the capacity of PPL Field).

But given the fervor of the fan club that formed even before the franchise was awarded, and the fast pace at which season tickets sold, maybe not by all that much.

Unless the team delivers consistently inferior performance over several seasons with no signs of developing future strength. It's way too early to predict that.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,704 times
Quote:

Maybe, if most of those fans were there for the novelty factor, and maybe even by 50 percent (the difference between the attendance at the Linc and the capacity of PPL Field).

But given the fervor of the fan club that formed even before the franchise was awarded, and the fast pace at which season tickets sold, maybe not by all that much.

Unless the team delivers consistently inferior performance over several seasons with no signs of developing future strength. It's way too early to predict that.

Even if Union is popular the Union will only succeed if most of the other team succed which won't happen. Eventually the league will fail which means the Union will fail and the new stadium which is miles from the city will be sitting empty. That is why the stadium should have been in the city. When the soccer team goes under the stadium could have then been used by Temple football and other local teams.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Good point on the Mann shuttle, ALTHOUGH many Center City residents can get there with a single-seat ride for regular fare by taking the Route 40 bus, which also passes the Mann.

It may or may not be an acknowledgement of this that the premium fare for the Mann Music Center shuttle is to be eliminated in the FY 2011 SEPTA budget.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Even if Union is popular the Union will only succeed if most of the other team succed which won't happen. Eventually the league will fail which means the Union will fail and the new stadium which is miles from the city will be sitting empty. That is why the stadium should have been in the city. When the soccer team goes under the stadium could have then been used by Temple football and other local teams.
I think the situation with soccer in the United States has improved since the demise of the North American Soccer League. Among other things, the US has hosted a World Cup, itself a sign of both increased public interest and improved American talent -- there have been American players signed by top European clubs.

MLS has also already had a near-death experience, much earlier in its history, and hasn't overexpanded the way the NASL did. Again, I wouldn't be so confident in predicting its failure -- its management seems to know its way around both the game and its finances better. The league is in its 15th season and expanding; the NASL died after its 16th. I'll also offer this by way of contrast: Kansas City had one of the original franchises in both leagues. Both the Spurs and the Wizards started out playing in the city's pro football stadium (Municipal Stadium for the Spurs, Arrowhead for the Wizards). The Spurs ended their days playing at the football field of my alma mater, Pembroke-Country Day (cap. ~1,500); the Wizards have begun construction on a new, 16,000-seat soccer-specific stadium of their own in Kansas City, Kansas. Looks to me like the current US pro soccer league is on a far different trajectory than you suggest. Sure you aren't mentally replaying the NASL tape?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 AM

Some Clips form our New Arena's opening night

YouTube - Great Fireworks!!!

YouTube - New York Red Bulls vs Santos, 3-1 Red Bulls

If anyone's coming to our new Staduim here's sum info

YouTube - Red Bull Arena Newark Trolle.mp4

The reason why the seats were half full , the city oked half intill they can adjust to the increased PED traffic.

Hopefully your Arena , will turn out this way , already investors are pouring into Downtown Newark and the Southern part of the Ironbound.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,704 times
Quote:
Sure you aren't mentally replaying the NASL tape?

Don't you mean NASL, MSL, and several other soccer leagues that went under? Atoms, Fury, Fever, Kicks, and so on.

If we are keeping score it is 4-0 in favor of failed Philly soccer teams. Your reasoning of why the team will make it is the current team and current league has not yet gone under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia