U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM

119 posts, read 313,326 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving back to the area after being away for the past 9 years. I am trying to educate myself about the Philly suburb schools (particularly Chester County) because we have a 6-yr-old son with high functioning autism. He is in a regular education classroom where we live now and has an IEP and is doing ok, but things could be better with the school's follow-through and communication. We feel this is attributed, in part, to their lack of experience with autistic kids.

Anyone here have a child or grandchild (i.e. FIRST-HAND experience) with autism who has done really well at a particular school in Chester County (or maybe even Montgomery County)? Please tell me about it. We will base our relocation around the best school for our son's needs.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM

46 posts, read 261,458 times
Default School

Hi Janny,

In Montgomery county my wife recommends Kulp Elementary School, in the North Penn School District. A. M. Kulp Elementary She has worked as a TSS for a few autistic children at that school.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 AM

Thank you for the response! I was hopeful I would get more responses than this. I'm having a hard time finding the info need.

I will investigate Kulp. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 32,019 times
Default Interested in what you learned!

Hi Janny,

Here it is a year+ after your posting, and I am wondering if you found a good placement for your son in the areas you were researching. We may be relocating to that area as well (husband's job would be in Kulpsville, so looking around that area). Our 10-year-old son has a PDD-NOS and is mostly mainstreamed, but still needs/has some supports, such as a TSS for part of the school day. We may not move until he has completed 5th grade and is ready to start middle school, but if we found a placement for 5th grade (next year) that we were comfortable with in time, we might move sooner. Curious about what you have found in that area.

Welcome any and all helpful info from those living in that area who have had to find services for kids on the AS! Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,589,800 times
I know the Pennsbury School District has a great program for Special Needs Students and Autism students. Pennsbury School District is located in Bucks County however. My mom works for Pennsbury and worked with a kid with autism for several years until he went onto Junior High School. She is now working with a young girl with down syndrom. Pennsbury puts kids with special needs into regular classrooms with other students instead of their own "special classroom." Since the kids with special needs are in a classroom with other students who can learn "better" (for lack of a better word) then they can, the special needs kids are given either personal helpers (paraprofessionals) or one/two helpers in the class that help multiple special needs students if there is a need. These helpers sit in the class and help the student as needed as the teacher is teaching.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdf4691 View Post
Hi Janny,

Here it is a year+ after your posting, and I am wondering if you found a good placement for your son in the areas you were researching. We may be relocating to that area as well (husband's job would be in Kulpsville, so looking around that area). Our 10-year-old son has a PDD-NOS and is mostly mainstreamed, but still needs/has some supports, such as a TSS for part of the school day. We may not move until he has completed 5th grade and is ready to start middle school, but if we found a placement for 5th grade (next year) that we were comfortable with in time, we might move sooner. Curious about what you have found in that area.

Welcome any and all helpful info from those living in that area who have had to find services for kids on the AS! Thanks!
I know this post is old, sorry, but I haven't been on here in a while. We had to abandon our search because my husband's job opportunity fell through, so we have not yet moved to PA. He is going to be renewing his search in about 6 months, so we will be looking for updated information on schools. Our son will be in 3rd grade this coming school year. We'd like to move before he starts middle school so he has a chance to get to know some of the kids with whom he will attend middle school.

If anyone has any updated information to share on the schools with the best autism programs in Montgomery or Chester Counties, I would appreciate it. Our son is very high functioning, is in a regular classroom, but he does require some accommodation. I am particularly interested in schools that offer a social skills group either during or after school. In our situation, schools are most important, regardless of my husband's commute.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM

129 posts, read 244,053 times
There are many resources out there but from my experience. My son is also high functioning; he's 13 now. I needed to be an advocate. I started a support group years back and I was able to meet a lot of connections and learn from speakers. Once you expose yourself to these groups and meet others the world of opportunities and referrals opens up. There are some good school programs out there and I have a friend that is a autistic support teacher. I am certified in special ed. and I learned a lot myself about autism. Email me if you are interested.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,033 times
Haverford township & Quakertown school districts are both great! I have felt with both of them. My son is high functioning. Currently in Quakertown and very please- iu teacher goes above and beyond , I've watched my son grow because of her. Would recommend both without question.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 10,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmm View Post
There are many resources out there but from my experience. My son is also high functioning; he's 13 now. I needed to be an advocate. I started a support group years back and I was able to meet a lot of connections and learn from speakers. Once you expose yourself to these groups and meet others the world of opportunities and referrals opens up. There are some good school programs out there and I have a friend that is a autistic support teacher. I am certified in special ed. and I learned a lot myself about autism. Email me if you are interested.
Hello -
Thanks for the offer to help.
We will be in a very similar situation.
We are planning to move to Chesterbrook area with our 5 year old (will be 6 in August), high funcitoning PDD-NOS, ADHD son. He has been in public school, integrated class room. He has an IEP.
What public schools around Chesterbrook provide good services of OT, PT etc.,.
Can you please send me your email id to avnavn3@yahaoo.com so I can get more information from you.
Thank you in advance.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
My child attends north Penn school district in Montgomery county.. It's a very excellent school district for special needs kids. I have a 17 yr old high functioning child and 14 yr old low functioning non verbal ASD boy. The school doesn't outsource the services which is great. It's all kept I house. I will strongly recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia