U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,955,166 times

Advertisements

a condo in francisville (waling distance to temple, easy access to subway to drexel) is a consideration (part of 19130). if powelton fits the bill, perhaps that would work. fishtown is definitley not in the price range. I'm not sure it fits the bill of up and coming any more either. sure, girard ave is up and coming, but the neihgborhood is pretty well "there" already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
Move to the burbs You can catch the Train .The Train is much safer than the El.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 PM

11 posts, read 38,166 times
I love that someone calls them "rowhomes" ..thought I was the only one still!!... when all the yuppies moved installed in things like kitchen marble countertops/new slab of paint and they added two 0"s to the asking price they became "townhomes"...anyways...kesno/fishtown aren't close to any colleges.. I think the only thing your gonna find exactly in your target is south of temple say between girard and cecil b moore street and university city...but at the price your looking for its gonna be a gamble any way you look at it.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,832,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatty57 View Post
Move to the burbs You can catch the Train .The Train is much safer than the El.
to say that the train is safer than the el implies that the el is even dangerous. there is nothing dangerous about riding the el. people of all ages, genders, races, and incomes ride the el everyday without issue.

i can't even remember the last time someone got attacked while on the subway... a couple of years ago?

unless you decide to explore the labyrinth of sparsely populated underground walkways connecting the stops in center city there's really little dangerous.

just because young people and minorities ride the el doesn't mean it's dangerous... no matter how much they may scare you.

besides any place available for under 150k in the burbs is probably in awful neighborhood nowhere near a train... which itself is fairly expensive.

anyway, i may be biased because i grew up around there but mantua looks to be really coming back strong. there's been a huge influx of students into the area spurring a ton of development mostly in terms of housing being fixed up and rented to them, but some stores, a coffee shop, and a few restaurants are popping up too.

as little as 10 years ago mantua was really dicey and still not exactly rittenhouse, but it's coming up and you'd probably be able to find a place in your range.

considering the way drexel is expanding it's influence i'd have to think it'd be a really good investment. you'd also be well within walking distance of drexel.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM

78 posts, read 157,254 times
We got a rowhome in Port Richmond a year ago, and have been really happy living here. It was in the price range you're looking at, and have had nothing but good experiences with my neighbors, etc. I have a two bedroom, with a small yard, access to the park, library, walking to coffee, etc..and take one bus into the city for work.
I have a hipster dad down the street from me, a same-sex couple across the way, and new developments/rehabs seem to be happening all the time. (right now there is one called "auburn court" they are finishing). It's a funny mix because you have new people moving in, and the "original" people in the neighborhood who don't understand why these new folks are coming in. It's cute though...my neighbor made me pierogies the other day for helping her sweep her porch.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 PM

219 posts, read 641,626 times
My recommendation on neighborhood depends on where you end up going to school. I offer you a few suggestions based on the comparative leafiness of these neighborhoods (which is something you seem to prefer).

If you go to Drexel, I would strongly recommend Powelton Village, or adjacent West Powelton. The former has a long-standing reputation as an enclave of unrepentant hippies living contendedly on tree-lined streets and beautiful porches, the latter was its hinterland, a more overlooked stretch of integrated blocks with poor blacks and young, idealistic whites side-by-side.
Here are two street views:
the former:

44th and haverford - Google Maps

and the latter:

44th and haverford - Google Maps

If you went to Temple, the best places to live would depend on your preference of some of the neighborhoods. If you wanted South Philly and its multicultural, old-world feel, try renting in Girard Estates, allowing you to hop northbound on the subway at Broad:

21st and passyunk - Google Maps

An underrated area is East Oak Lane, which is a neighborhood of gorgeous stone singles and twins. Its not always mentioned as a trendy neighborhood because its sandwiched between affluent, quiet suburbs, to the north, and North Philly to the south. However, it is neither dangerous nor too suburban, right off of Fern Rock on the subway, and is gorgeous enough to be the subject of paintings:
Chuck Connelly | Gallery (http://chuckconnelly.com/gallery.php?year=2007 - broken link)
and its street view:

east oak lane - Google Maps

Finally, if the quaint cliffsides of an industrial Pennsylvania town are you thing, you should try East Falls, which is right by a regional rail line that takes you straight to Temple:

east falls - Google Maps

Best of Luck!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 PM

148 posts, read 394,236 times
Try Overbrook, Overbrook Farms, or Wynnefield. These neighborhoods are nice, affordable, and close to St. Joseph's University. (I'm a grad student at St. Joe's.) You won't be able to find much in University City for $150k, but Overbrook and Wynnefield are much more reasonable. Overbrook Farms is a bit pricier and doesn't have rowhouses, just twin-houses and single-family detached houses, but it's a nice area. Your best best is to find a rowhouse close to the Overbrook Regional Rail Station, close to the St. Joseph's University shuttle stops, or close to SJU's campus. SJU is growing so there is definnitely a demand for off-campus housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia