Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How familiar with Pittsburgh are you?
Yes, I've been to Pittsburgh one or several times- it's a cool place. 15 57.69%
No, I haven't been and know little to nothing about the Burgh. 8 30.77%
I haven't been but know plenty about it, and would like to visit the Burgh at some point or another. 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Google says 5:15, I have heard people say they can do it about 4.5 hours, but to me that is pretty far, I can be to NYC, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Many many beaches and moutains, the chesepeake etc etc etc

I think maybe moreso than other regions a four hour drive seems very long up here

Philadelphia, PA to Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps
Plus, in reality, a 5 hour long drive requires some kind of a break, unless you're a professional travel. It took well over 6 hours from Northern Berks County to Pittsburgh, having to drive down to Morgantown to get on the turnpike. Plus a rest stop or two.

And you're likely to have some sort of slow down in Philly or Pittsburgh, even if it's smooth sailing in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
I went to Pittsburgh exactly 3 times in 32 years of living in Philly (and once since living in NYC). I like it, it's a nice city with lots of interesting areas to explore.

It's certainly much harder to get from Philly to Pittsburgh than from Philly to NYC, DC or Baltimore, but it's about the same amount of trouble as getting from Philly to Boston.
Even so, I've been to Boston about twice as many times as Pittsburgh, but I think that's mainly because Boston is a good stop on the way to Maine (where I like to vacation), whereas there's not really anything on the other side of Pittsburgh that I've had much occasion to drive to.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
the drive is anywhere from 4.5 (speeding, no stops) to 6 hours depending on traffic, etc.for Philadelphians, there are many other options from DC, Baltimore, NY, and to a lesser extent, Providence and Boston while for pittsburgh, the close options are slim..in terms of big markets anyway. To add to the problem, for many years US Air (formerly Agony Air) had a stranglehold on both markets and travel between the two was prohibitively expensive by air (even long after deregulation, really until the last decade). I'd bet that travel between the two is up with competition (southwest and US Air) as well as megabus' express bus service (which isn't much longer than driving). the turnpike is much more expensive than it used to be as well but it's also a better drive.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 AM

154 posts, read 322,588 times
not only is it 5-6 hours, it's 5-6 hours through the back woods of PA which can feel like 10-12 hours. I did it a few times before mp3 players and satellite radio and the drive is terrible. NO MUSIC worth listening too what so ever on the radio.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
As a native Pennsylvanian, I'm embarrassed to say that I've honestly never been to Pittsburgh -- but I really have heard good things and would love to visit in the near future. I agree with others here that there is a perception in Eastern PA that Pittsburgh seems very far (the state border of Massachusetts is actually closer to here than much of Western PA). Despite my limited knowledge of the city, it has increasingly intrigued me enough to take the trip all the way down the turnpike.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
fwiw-i often get phillies games on the radio in pittsburgh

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
I've been once. Nice town.

That said, Western PA seems like a whole different country to me. In fact, I don't think I've ever considered myself a Pennsylvanian. I think of myself as a Philadelphian and Pennsylvania is just the state my hometown happens to be in.

Other than a single solitary trip to Pittsburgh (and I traveled from DC, not Philly), the farthest west I've ever been in Pennsylvania is the Valley Forge Convention Center.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've been once. Nice town.

That said, Western PA seems like a whole different country to me. In fact, I don't think I've ever considered myself a Pennsylvanian. I think of myself as a Philadelphian and Pennsylvania is just the state my hometown happens to be in.

Other than a single solitary trip to Pittsburgh (and I traveled from DC, not Philly), the farthest west I've ever been in Pennsylvania is the Valley Forge Convention Center.
For many in Philadelphia that is the beggining of the wild west

Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Been from the Burgh and lived in Philly for few years before moving to NYC.....PA is so large Philly in the east Pittsburgh in the west 5hrs between that's alot of State. both cities basically have their terriories drawn and influences don't cross those borders....except Harrisburg is a little bit of both....

So its very easy to live in one city and be totally void that there's another big city in the same state. Pittsburgh'ers actually will refer to Philadelphia as to "Out of State", most will clear up what they mean being all the way on the other side of PA.

If Philly and the Burgh were better connected with HSR and more frequent discounted express buses you would see more transversing between the 2...

Pittsburgh'ers can even get to NYC and DC with bypassing Philly so there's nothing forcing travel to/thru either city.

there are mental hard borders for every city.....For Pittsburgh its the PA border with OH and WV they do not cross it.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
I been to Pittsburgh only once, but I have a very positive view of it. It is so hilly and green. In many ways it is so much prettier than Philly and the different architectural styles of the houses make exploring the neighborhoods fascinating ... one area I loved was called Squirrel Hill.

My biggest problem with "The Burgh" is that it is in a completely different climate zone ... the winters there are so much colder than Philly. And ... they get a lot more snow in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia